Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Engine modding question

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 03:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine modding question

I would ask my brother or father but they would just ask, WHY? Anyway. I was wondering what I can do as far as mods on my truck. I have the 5.3 with 4cyl mode, does that change what I can do to it, as far as internals are concerned?
Old 05-15-2009, 04:17 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First off you do not to do any internal work on that engine. These ls motors are very stout.. What do you want to do, how fast you want to go and lastly how much paper you got to spend..
Old 05-15-2009, 04:21 PM
The House is Rockin'

i think you would be very satisfied with a....

Old 05-15-2009, 04:28 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a custom tune, LT headers, intake, converter would make it a completely different truck
Old 05-16-2009, 03:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Mangled03gmc
First off you do not to do any internal work on that engine. These ls motors are very stout.. What do you want to do, how fast you want to go and lastly how much paper you got to spend..
I am not going to do everything at once, so money isnt really an issue. Im looking to be pointed in the right direction. Where do I start? What would be the most bang for the buck right off the bat?

Originally Posted by heavy chevy boy
i think you would be very satisfied with a....

LOL
Old 05-16-2009, 04:02 PM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At the top of this section there was a thread that said "See this thread for stickies FIRST"

In it was the following link to Bolt-Ons.
https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=395748

That's the best place to start and the tune to compliment makes a HUGE difference. After your bolt ons you should look on getting a cam and gears, and transmission.
Old 05-16-2009, 08:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 192 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by 5point3Z71
...Where do I start? What would be the most bang for the buck right off the bat? ...
If you are as young as you sound, go ahead and skip this post.
I wish I had the discipline to do it the right way instead of spending money on "bang for the buck" stuff. What I mean is, I wish I put a 1000 HP fuel system as my first mod. It would give no extra power, but the frustration it would have saved later would be invaluable. I wish I put better brakes on next. I wish I had my intercooler ready before I bought a supercharger. I did have the foresight to buy a 2500 and get the HD parts, but I think that is the only planning I did. I guess the only point to my post is to tell you to plan ahead, if possible. Like for example, if you get to the point where you are going to get forced induction, think about upgrading your trans, first.
Just some random thoughts.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:38 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MikeGyver
If you are as young as you sound, go ahead and skip this post.
I wish I had the discipline to do it the right way instead of spending money on "bang for the buck" stuff. What I mean is, I wish I put a 1000 HP fuel system as my first mod. It would give no extra power, but the frustration it would have saved later would be invaluable. I wish I put better brakes on next. I wish I had my intercooler ready before I bought a supercharger. I did have the foresight to buy a 2500 and get the HD parts, but I think that is the only planning I did. I guess the only point to my post is to tell you to plan ahead, if possible. Like for example, if you get to the point where you are going to get forced induction, think about upgrading your trans, first.
Just some random thoughts.
Thanks. I didnt say cheap! I meant what is a wise thing to spend my money on. Cheap and performance dont go together, I am well aware of that.

I will be getting a tune on my truck tomorrow and will be at Island at night to try it out.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:55 AM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Bolt ons and tune and call it a day.

Seriously, don't **** up your truck like all of us have.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 00ChevyScott
Seriously, don't **** up your truck like all of us have.
lol, it is a slippery slope, ain't it...

Quick Reply: Engine modding question