Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electric supercharger that produces 4psi!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2004, 12:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric supercharger that produces 4psi!!!!

Well bored out of my mind today I was surfing the internet and came across the electric supercharger/turbocharger made by Dynacharger. It is not a cheap made plastic turbo that you see on ebay for $25. The housing is metal/aluminum and has a real impeller compressor.The turbo is called the Turbopac and can be set up to 3.5-4psi. That would be a nice gain. I don't know how much they are but they can be used on motors up to 12Liters. I've e-mailed them about pricing and even if they will work on trucks, etc... Hell if the price is right and more info is found it may be a good venture. BTW how much hp could you get out of 4psi and could you feel it? You turn it on only when you want it or you can set it up to come on when you floor it.
Their website is www.turbodyne.com
They say it helps turbocharged and supercharged engines by eliminating the lag, so I wonder if they will work on naturally asperated engines. Once they e-mail me back I post what they say.
Old 04-20-2004, 12:57 AM
TECH Veteran

That seems kinda cool, but I couldn't find any real concrete info on thier site (Dynos, applications etc.). Maybe I missed something? It seems like it would take a hell of a motor and a ton of current to produce a constant 4psi. I bet you'd have to seriously upgrade your charging system. Also if it is turned off...wouldn't the compressor wheel be a huge restriction in the intake? I'm sceptical! Keep us posted though!
Old 04-20-2004, 04:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

i've often wondered why that technology has'nt really gone anywhere. it helps solve the heat problem associated with exhaust turbos. you really should'nt need that big of a motor to power a turbo, it would have a considerable amperage draw, but if the cost of the unit was low enough, an extra battery and 140 amp alternator isn't that much and should be able to keep up with the load. company looks like it's in infantile stage from their site. in the company announcements it say's they plan on selling an improved version of their product to raise capital. says through aftermarket companies but does'nt say who. did'nt see what your talking about as far as "helping" s.c and turbo vehicles, i don't see how it could work as an add on. thinking it's a primary unit, which would make it for n.a vehicles. by all means if they give you any real info post it. if they actually have one that works, i'd take the 40 minute ride to check it out.
Old 04-20-2004, 09:02 AM
TECH Resident

i once saw a video i think for that product.. a guy held the electric blow in his hand pointing at the cieling, and turned it on. It actually took off flying upwards from the amount of air it shoves.
Old 04-20-2004, 09:05 AM
TECH Regular

I could see it being a good idea, but with the extra weight of the motor and all the electrical system upgrades, a conventional turbo is still more applicable. Perhaps a homemade system would be neat. If only you could design a high to moderate power motor that revved pretty high but still kept the amp draw down. Like maybe an electric fan motor. Hmmmm...
Old 04-20-2004, 09:08 AM
TECH Regular

That and the company is flop. 5 years and they haven't been able to get off the ground. Nobody will touch them. I wouldn't either. In the words of Stiffler, "I wouldn't f*ck her with your dick, man."

http://www.dieselnet.com/news/9808turbodyne.html
Old 04-21-2004, 02:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by bootleg
I could see it being a good idea, but with the extra weight of the motor and all the electrical system upgrades, a conventional turbo is still more applicable. Perhaps a homemade system would be neat. If only you could design a high to moderate power motor that revved pretty high but still kept the amp draw down. Like maybe an electric fan motor. Hmmmm...
like i was saying the extra weight of the motor and possibly a battery [i'm thinking small spiral cell] is offset by the lack of need for an intercooler. anther idea i've had is using the line pressure from the power steering pump to turn a turn a pump/gear which in turn would spin a turbo. if it can be geared to pull 10,000 pounds [milemarker winch] i'm sure it could turn a compressor. if your seperated the pump from the turbo with a small driveshaft you could eliminate conducted heat.
Old 04-21-2004, 06:34 AM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The line pressure from the PS pump would in effect make the turbo you propose into a supercharger. Since the PS is belt driven, you would in effect be transferring the direct belt driven power to to hydraulic energy to power the blower. Thats even less efficient than having it hooked directly up to the belt system.
Old 04-21-2004, 07:26 AM
TECH Resident

damn, i knew i shouldnt have bought 23.6 million shares in that company!
Old 04-21-2004, 07:46 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bootleg
That and the company is flop. 5 years and they haven't been able to get off the ground. Nobody will touch them. I wouldn't either. In the words of Stiffler, "I wouldn't f*ck her with your dick, man."

http://www.dieselnet.com/news/9808turbodyne.html
That's the first thing I noticed, too - I saw their financials and all kinds of lights and bells started going off. Then there's this quote from the article above: "In the last five years Turbodyne has claimed deals with 12 different companies in over 14 different countries. No manufacturer has ever incorporated a single Turbodyne product in a new engine or vehicle."

Great idea, or, umm, maybe not.

Quick Reply: Electric supercharger that produces 4psi!!!!