Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: fueling B1-B2 variances
Truck intake NA fueling variance between B1-B2
38.46%
Truck intake FI fueling variance between B1-B2
15.38%
Ls6/ls1 intake NA fueling variance
0%
Ls6/ls1 intake FI fueling variance
0%
Aftermarket intake fueling variance
23.08%
Im an asshole and I dont give a shit about variances
23.08%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Electric fan satisfaction poll

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2004, 11:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Naked AV
If you guys are having to do things like this, then it sounds to me like electric fans are not ready for prime time. I won't be getting any soon.
Look at the poll results, I'd say there are ALOT more satisfied users than there are dissatisfied. As with anything, someone somewhere is going to have a few hiccups here or there. That being said, I'd run electric fans again in a heartbeat. I was impressed at how less restricted the engine ran after removing the stock fan.
Old 04-19-2004, 12:35 AM
TECH Resident

pluss the look is bling bling
Old 04-19-2004, 12:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

I think it's worth it alone to get rid of that horrid scream the stocker does when it's locked. It makes it SOOOOOO much easier to work on things too.
Old 04-19-2004, 01:09 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JSmith
Look at the poll results, I'd say there are ALOT more satisfied users than there are dissatisfied. As with anything, someone somewhere is going to have a few hiccups here or there. That being said, I'd run electric fans again in a heartbeat. I was impressed at how less restricted the engine ran after removing the stock fan.
Hey, no problem, you can do whatever you like, and so can anyone else. Me, I am very risk-averse and count at least five people across two forums with problems ranging from dead batteries to blown fuses to melting plastic. At this point, I opt out.
Old 04-19-2004, 01:25 AM
On The Tree

Do the Flexalite 282's give any more or less room than the camaro fans?

Kevin
Old 04-19-2004, 01:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

bout the same ... the whole conecpt is to just get rid of the clutch fan and fan shroud.
Old 04-19-2004, 01:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Flyer
I think it's worth it alone to get rid of that horrid scream the stocker does when it's locked. It makes it SOOOOOO much easier to work on things too.

You mean that WHHHRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR Yes I hate that sound and huge power loss.

I like my LS1 fans, I have them + a 160* thermo and a 34" 3/4 ton rad.
Old 04-19-2004, 06:52 AM
TECH Regular

It's been a while since I've had my hand inside any electronics (that was two careers ago), but what little I remember about it told me that if a fuse designed for a circuit blew, there was something wrong with the circuit, either the design or the function. Making a design decision to increase the current capacity of a circuit is an engineering decision that could cause problems - like fire or exploding capacitors - if not immediately, then in the future. I've seen burnt out car carcasses on the side of the road and I would rather not have one myself, thank you very much.

If you guys are having to do things like this, then it sounds to me like electric fans are not ready for prime time. I won't be getting any soon.

I understand what you are saying AV. I make my money being a EE so I like to think I know what I am doing (sometimes) and my take is that flexalite went cheap on the wiring for their kit. The 40amp fuse has never blown on me but the holder melted. That tells me there is a high, constant, current draw from the fans less then 40 amps but enough to overcome the heat rating on the wire and holder itself if they are on long enough.
The Efan idea itself is fine and proven. Look at most cars off the lot today, they are cooled using Efans. It just needs to be engineered correctly. BigTex has the right idea by wireing each fan with its own relay (that's what GM does).
Old 04-19-2004, 09:46 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by L82gofast
I understand what you are saying AV. I make my money being a EE so I like to think I know what I am doing (sometimes) and my take is that flexalite went cheap on the wiring for their kit. The 40amp fuse has never blown on me but the holder melted. That tells me there is a high, constant, current draw from the fans less then 40 amps but enough to overcome the heat rating on the wire and holder itself if they are on long enough.
The Efan idea itself is fine and proven. Look at most cars off the lot today, they are cooled using Efans. It just needs to be engineered correctly. BigTex has the right idea by wireing each fan with its own relay (that's what GM does).
Thanks for commenting. I agree that in concept electric fans are a GREAT idea, but the practical application obviously has not hit prime time, or else all of our trucks would have come equipped with them, yes? Automobile engineering is much more complicated than most people think, I found that out when messing with exhausts a while ago. But electricity is another story - whenever people start talking about stuff melting and then just upping the fuse rating or wire gauge, I start backing away slowly, and stay away from/out of whatever it is they've been working on.

I would love to replace my mechanical fan with electric ones, but I've heard too many stories here and other places about batteries dying mysteriously or stuff blowing up to consider it at this time. It seems the fan manufacturers are doing a one-size-fits-all for their products, with mixed results. If people were corresponding with the fan manufacturers and working out issues properly I would have more confidence, but at this point in time, there are no concrete answers, just guys scratching their heads and rigging something up that sounds good to them. So I am backing away slowly....
Old 04-19-2004, 09:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey, no problem, you can do whatever you like, and so can anyone else. Me, I am very risk-averse and count at least five people across two forums with problems ranging from dead batteries to blown fuses to melting plastic. At this point, I opt out.
I believe it's all in the wires you use! If you put in cheap wires they are going to fail. I have mine PCM controlled with one 30 amp fuse and one 30 amp relay on each fan and a good harness.

I have yet to have a problem and doubt there ever will be a problem. Like everyone says going to the electric fans set up is a great mod; you get good looks and better performance all in one shot.

Quick Reply: Electric fan satisfaction poll