PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   GM Engine & Exhaust Performance (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-engine-exhaust-performance-21/)
-   -   Ebay/OBX style header install w/plenty of PICS (LONG, but detailed) (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-engine-exhaust-performance-21/ebay-obx-style-header-install-w-plenty-pics-long-but-detailed-450962/)

budhayes3 07-29-2011 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Doc_speeder (Post 4744022)
Yep, thanks. Thats the answer I was looking for. I just wanted to know if the headers would fit the truck/frame etc.:burn:

Glad to help Doc :cheers:

Heelsparky0501 07-30-2011 09:51 AM

Hey guys, im a long time lurked first time poster.

I really like these headers for both the price and the fact that the y pipe still looks like it has cats kinda (will let me pass the visual for emissions).

I tried this link
CHEVROLET SILVERADO 1500 LT 99-05 HEADER+Y-PIPE 00 03 - eBay (item 150415252643 end time Mar-17-11 19:50:57 PDT)

But it won't let me purchase them, it says there are 10 available but there's no option to buy.

Is there anywhere else to get them?

I went to the guys eBay store and he had the same system but for 00 to 04 gmc yukon. Would these still bolt up the same and fit right by any chance?

I mean I can find the obx system on ebAy that's almost identical but it's 499.

Bigschwerm 07-30-2011 10:29 AM

Here you go....

HEADER - STAINLESS STEEL - 99-05 CHEVY SILVERADO / GMC SIERRA 1500 4.8 / 5.3L

Heelsparky0501 07-30-2011 11:44 AM

Thanks for the link bigschwerm,

And these will still bolt up to the factory catback right?

Bigschwerm 07-30-2011 12:47 PM

YEp bolt right up

Heelsparky0501 07-30-2011 01:30 PM

Ok awesome,

So what's the big deal with the egr system? Should I buy block off plates or should I just hook up the stock egr setup to the headers. If it's better to remove it do they make a kit with the necessary parts?

I've got a 99 Sierra 4.8. I'm going to be getting a tune from Nelson performance anyway so if I remove it I'll get the CEl taken care of.

Also any ideas for loosening the stock manifold/egr bolts? I've got a propane torch, I was thinking to maby heat them up and spray some pb blaster. And from what I'm reading just reuse the bolts and gaskets right?
Although I think my left manifold gasket is just starting to leak.

Thanks for the help so far.

Bigschwerm 07-30-2011 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Heelsparky0501 (Post 4744476)
Ok awesome,

So what's the big deal with the egr system? Should I buy block off plates or should I just hook up the stock egr setup to the headers. If it's better to remove it do they make a kit with the necessary parts?

I've got a 99 Sierra 4.8. I'm going to be getting a tune from Nelson performance anyway so if I remove it I'll get the CEl taken care of.

Also any ideas for loosening the stock manifold/egr bolts? I've got a propane torch, I was thinking to maby heat them up and spray some pb blaster. And from what I'm reading just reuse the bolts and gaskets right?

I would get some block off plates and have the egr tuned out while you are in there swapping in the headers.

As for the manifold/egr bolts I soaked mine down for a few days. As soon as I pulled in for the night after work I pooped the hood and sprayed them down with PB Blaster while they were nice and hot. I think I did this for like 3 nights after work and when I went to install my headers it was smooth sailing bolts came right out.

And yes just reuse the stock gaskets and bolts. Good luck with the install...post up pics and results! :cheers:

_zebra 07-30-2011 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by Heelsparky0501 (Post 4744476)
Ok awesome,

well if Allen's anything like Justin @ BlackBear, he uses 02+ computers for his tunes & they don't have EGR programmed in, so even if you left the stuff on, it wouldn't be working. i just pulled my equipment out & used a bolt with lock washers to block the EGR port on the header. just remember to plug the huge hole in the intake before you try to start it after the install... yeah, i forgot! an expandable freeze plug works perfect.
as for the CEL, i drove from Jan to Apr before i got one & that was because it killed off one of my 165kmi O2 sensors. i replaced them (the front ones) with some Corvette rears & it's been great since.

for the bolts, i did like most guys & drowned them in PB blast for a few days prior to the install. they all came right out without a problem. if you think your stock gaskets are leaking, then get some stock replacements - they'll be better than the ones that come with the headers.

Nuclear Endless 07-31-2011 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Bigschwerm (Post 4744399)

Thanks for the link man, really odd how the ebay link I posted has no way to buy them :huh:

Too bad the other link doesnt have such a good deal.

Get em before they get more expensive somehow!

But the good news, mine are finally in the mail!

Bigschwerm 07-31-2011 10:31 PM

Yah that is weird why they just took them off ebay...Must be out stock maybe?

The link I provided they are $319.99 shipped which isn't to to bad.....