Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

eBay head studs

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 03:29 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigschwerm
I just installed them with mls head gaskets in prep for my turbo....
keep us updated...
Old 08-17-2012, 06:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have some new ARP bolts in a box I was going to use for my lq4. After reading this and some stuff on tech I bought some studs yesterday for 65$. My ARPs will be going in the sale section lol
Old 08-18-2012, 11:53 PM
Charlie Murphy!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Well I got my eBay head studs yesterday. I can take some pictures if you guys would like. I inspected them really closely and they look to be made of high quality.

I have a question though, how do I go about installing these? What torque spec? What order?
Old 08-19-2012, 12:06 AM
TECH Regular

I have installed about 10 sets. NOT ONE FAILURE. First set was almost 2 years ago...
Old 08-19-2012, 12:09 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by iregret
Well I got my eBay head studs yesterday. I can take some pictures if you guys would like. I inspected them really closely and they look to be made of high quality.

I have a question though, how do I go about installing these? What torque spec? What order?
Factory torque sequence. Put studs into block at 8 ftlbs with ARP lube. First pass at 25ftlb. Second pass at 45ftlb. Final pass at 65ftlbs. Put ARP lube on nut when installing on stud also..
Old 08-19-2012, 12:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

damn, if there head studs are only $65, how much are there regular head bolts? if your doing just a mild, H/C build, head bolts would work totally fine, and if you can get them at half the cost of head studs, then thats what id call a budget build..of course with heads studs being only $65, id just go straight for them..just thinking outside the box.
Old 08-19-2012, 04:28 PM
Charlie Murphy!

Originally Posted by midevil1
Factory torque sequence. Put studs into block at 8 ftlbs with ARP lube. First pass at 25ftlb. Second pass at 45ftlb. Final pass at 65ftlbs. Put ARP lube on nut when installing on stud also..
Thanks man. I found this write up as well.

ARP Head Studs Install - Blackcamaro.com

I need to find some ARP lube. Do you guys know exactly which lube to get? I'll start searching around.

From what I've read you can't get the block's threads clean enough. Lol. I'm planning on taking my factory head bolt and cutting a line through the threads, then using that to chase the threads. Think that'll work?
Old 08-19-2012, 06:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

@iregret, ^ that is what I am going to do. I have read on tech and other places, i will use a die grinder to make the cut on the bolt.
Do u know if you can swap heads once the studs are installed and motor in truck? Or do u have to pull motor?
Old 08-19-2012, 10:58 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by iregret
Thanks man. I found this write up as well.

ARP Head Studs Install - Blackcamaro.com

I need to find some ARP lube. Do you guys know exactly which lube to get? I'll start searching around.

From what I've read you can't get the block's threads clean enough. Lol. I'm planning on taking my factory head bolt and cutting a line through the threads, then using that to chase the threads. Think that'll work?
Originally Posted by WhiteChevy3
@iregret, ^ that is what I am going to do. I have read on tech and other places, i will use a die grinder to make the cut on the bolt.
Do u know if you can swap heads once the studs are installed and motor in truck? Or do u have to pull motor?
You can order lube from Summit or Jegs. Local speed shop has it also.

You don't have to pull the motor to get the heads off.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:13 PM
Charlie Murphy!

You don't have to pull the engine to remove the heads when studs are installed? Really?

I've never installed head studs before but just looking at my truck, it doesn't look like there's room. Are you suggesting removing the studs as well? Like remove all the nuts from the studs, then remove the studs and then pull the heads?

I'll be doing this to my LQ4 and it's on an engine stand, so there's no problem with installing head studs for me. (obviously) I didn't think you could install them with the engine still in the truck.

Quick Reply: eBay head studs