Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E85 and 5.3 Flexiable Fuel Vechicles

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 11:07 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E85 and 5.3 Flexiable Fuel Vechicles

There is a place down the street from me that just recently started selling E85. E85 is now $1.56/gallon compared to the $1.74/gallon I spent on unleaded gasonline. What I want to know is which 5.3 Trucks/SUV were FFV certified from GM and how can you tell? Has anyone run E85 before and had experiences they could share?

I've been reading alot about it and it seems its better for the environment (a plus) and its cheaper. However, I don't know how good it is for the engine,fuel system, and if the market is less flexiable compared to gasoline.

I'm really curious on this because come spring I will be getting a ECSB 2wd truck. Like most of us, I would love to spend as little as possible on fuel consumption as possible. So really any help on E85 and the 5.3 Trucks/SUV design from 2002+ would be appreciated.
Old 12-16-2004, 11:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

the problem with e85 is you will get about 1/3 of the mileage that you would with gasoline. I have it here but it's more expensive then gas. If you look on your sticker fromt he factory that the dealer had int he window it will say if it's a flex fuel capable. I believ the difference is in head gaskets or maybe the rings inside the engine. I do know the E85 is cleaner, and cleans the engine from deposits. I personally haven't met one person who uses it.
Old 12-16-2004, 11:31 AM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Anything with a "Z" in the 8th place on the VIN is Flex Fuel.
Old 12-16-2004, 11:50 AM
TECH Veteran

We ran E85 in the SAE formula car here at my school. It burns a lot cleaner, and it can be cheaper, but there's always a catch. You burn roughly 80% more than compared to gasoline. So about double the amount gas. If its $1.56/gal then just double it when comparing it to gasoline. It looks cheaper initially, but probably not in the long run. Also, our car and most others run hotter on E85. Just something to think about if you live in a hot climate.

As for power gains: I'm not sure if there was any power gains with E85 vs.the ras gas we ran in there too. If there was a power difference it was minimal, although we never tuned to optimize the race gas. Anywho, I had to size the injectors and the whole fuel system to run on E85. I can't imagine the stock fuel systems, especially the injectors, on our trucks being able to meet the demands of a modded 5.3 running E85. The "Z" trucks must have a different fuel system or something, because that's asking a lot of the regualar system. JMO.

Good luck if you go that route. I would LOVE to see some gas vs. E85 dyno/track numbers.
Old 12-16-2004, 12:40 PM
MOOBIES Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BlownChevy
Anything with a "Z" in the 8th place on the VIN is Flex Fuel.

Did you guys ever get any more info on the flex fuel trucks? I know that you were looking for one for some testing.
Old 12-18-2004, 04:28 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by vanillagorilla
We ran E85 in the SAE formula car here at my school. It burns a lot cleaner, and it can be cheaper, but there's always a catch. You burn roughly 80% more than compared to gasoline. So about double the amount gas. If its $1.56/gal then just double it when comparing it to gasoline. It looks cheaper initially, but probably not in the long run. Also, our car and most others run hotter on E85. Just something to think about if you live in a hot climate.

As for power gains: I'm not sure if there was any power gains with E85 vs.the ras gas we ran in there too. If there was a power difference it was minimal, although we never tuned to optimize the race gas. Anywho, I had to size the injectors and the whole fuel system to run on E85. I can't imagine the stock fuel systems, especially the injectors, on our trucks being able to meet the demands of a modded 5.3 running E85. The "Z" trucks must have a different fuel system or something, because that's asking a lot of the regualar system. JMO.

Good luck if you go that route. I would LOVE to see some gas vs. E85 dyno/track numbers.
Hey thanks for the lengthy reply! The clean burning part is what I'm really more impressed about, rahter then just the price although price is always a concern. If I could afford to run E85 all the time I would because I am very much into being very enviromentally conscious, despite my hobby for cars. Who says you can't have your cake and eat it too??

I learned at a E85 site that there is a certain way in which you can get a tax break by showing proof of buying E85. It also helps our economy me out by buying American made fuel rather then have strong relations with countries that hate us. It may burn faster, but these are just a few reason to go with E85 if you can. Most cars, let alone trucks, are not FFV from the factory. The price to convert would be to much to the average consumer, so again I say take advantage of E85 it if you can. Sorry for the rant, I'm done...

BTW: Alchohol has a higher flash point which makes it harder to burn, thus higher octane. This information comes from a site when I was reading about e85; however, I can't find the site (conveniently) right now. So I guess you can advance the timing more on a Alchohol based motor, but I don't know this for sure. Usually on a higher octane fuel you can advance the timing, so this is why I say this.

Anyways I appreciate all the imput everyone has given me! If anyone can or would like to add please do so. Futhermore, I'm taking it apon myself to look into E85 and racing.

Thanks again!

P.S. Sorry for the first un-edited repost...i posted at like 4:30 in the morning!
Old 12-18-2004, 10:36 AM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Scream
Did you guys ever get any more info on the flex fuel trucks? I know that you were looking for one for some testing.

Yep, the tuning is done. And the Kits are shipping!