Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Dyno numbers tomorrow on ecz71 with radix!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2004, 02:54 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gator's 99TA
low blow? not much. i doubt that dude brings much to the table.

i think it is HILLAROUS that the LSx guys think stock Ls run so slow. i guess it is the same bias as the fbody guys hating on the 03-04 cobras but that is cool. this is a GM minded site afterall.

just fyi - this stock L in my sig with 2k miles on it SHOWROOM STOCK ran 13.9 @ 98 mph (1.98) in July FLORIDA heat. stock down to the shitty paper filter. but if you guys want to keep talking about mid 14 second Ls its your deal. i will run ya or bucks on this little 5.4L Triton lol.

i will say the inefficiencys of the stock Heaton Blowers on Ls arent the best, but hell, they ARE OEM afterall. what do you expect. pulley, chip, and airfilter costing less than 500 bucks will get ya over 400/500 at the rearwheels. gotta love the low rpm to get this tank moving.

as for centrifugal blower? yea right. you better come with a big blower, F1 or bigger to come close to the tq a roots/screw blower will. when dealing with 5K lbs raceweights, you better have 500 rwtq at 2500-3000 rpms and hold it to give your self a chance from embarrasing yourself.

a Lightning is just a F150 with a blower thrown on it? tell me that when you have to slow down around corners when i stay in the gas. helps when i am trying to make that light around the corner
Good time.

You are missing my point. There is no sense arguing with you about whose truck is better, or whatever, we all have our opinions.

how do these trucks perform compared to a Lightning with normal bolton pulley and chip? the lsx based motors probably have an advantage with the higher compression and better designed blower (isnt the radix a twin screw)?
then.

ah well crap! well that is unfortunate but you are stuck with the same blower as me (mine is 112" so i bet the radix is the same). so i guess the numbers will be real close to an L with say a 2 lbs pulley on it (though no one runs that in the L world) lol.
My point is there is no way a lightning with a 2 lb. pulley could keep up with a radix equiped truck of similar options (RCSB 5.3).

My truck, an extended cab, stock other than radix, ran a 14.3 (2.3 60')@98. Take off the extended cab, and get traction and it could easily be a 14.0, hell be conservative and say a 14.1.

Take 5 lbs of boost off your stock lightning and you think you can still run a 13.9? Not a chance.

I am going to try and get some times tomorrow if it stops raining. With the other mods I think I should be able to hit 13's finally.

I'm not trying to diss your truck, its cool. Definately love it from the outside. And the seats are cool (though I would like a center console). I just think the F-150 of that generation was seriously lacking in the dash layout dept.

Also, I wouldn't consider low 14's slow for a stock truck. I just think that the typical lighning owner around here is an overly cocky *******. They feel that there truck is the fastest thing on the road, but are always unwilling to back it up at the track or on the street.

When you ask them about their times at the track they always have some excuse: "track's slick, tailgate was up, left a/c on, misshifted [an auto??]," something is always there.

Seems like you were getting a little cocky saying that a stock "L" detuned with a 2lb pulley would be equivalent to my truck. I'll throw up the flag on that one.
Old 07-24-2004, 02:57 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by FirstGen
why isn't anyone running centerfugal blowers on these motors? I think a simple intercooled P1SC would blow the doors off a radix...
Not in a truck. The P1SC makes good power, but its all up top, radix has a much better powerband. While the votec is still spooling, I'll be way ahead.

Just my opinion of course.
Old 07-24-2004, 03:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

why are you saying take 5 psi off a stock L? stock Ls make 8 psi stock. i am not gonna compare stock psi to stock psi - stupid discussion. but you were the one being cocky saying how you rip up these stock 14.8 Ls (which ranks right up there with a 13.9-14.0 cobra and ls1 owner - just another jackass that cant drive) with your truck that has run 14.3 so far. an L driver that cant launch their trucks is either completely stupid or well...completely stupid. like i said i pulled a 1.9 my first time at the time with this truck. i had a few 2.0-2.1 60' as well from learning the truck.

EDIT - ok i looked back at your post and my post. i said a stock L with a 2 lbs pulley would definately run faster than a stock GMC ECSB with a radix at 10 psi. i didnt say detune it to 2 psi. i meant ADD 2 psi to an L for a total of 10 psi = a 10 psi radix. all things being equal - IMO the L wins.

i cant speak for ALL L owners but i will say that most feel they have the baddest truck factory on the market. and i fully support that. the reason is the ability to mod so cheap and make so much more power. stock 04 Ls pull 350 rwhp - pulled and chip 400-410 rwhp with a conservative tune (only way i would run one). 500-515 rwtq as well. the handling is outragous as well, but that never gets discussed on this forum. it is truely a car that happens to be able to tow a racecar on a trailor.

at these power levels, these trucks can be taken to the limit over and over due to fuel systems, forged rotating assembly, and trannys. the GMC cant compare as it was NEVER designed to go fast or support that kind of power. you all know that you have a good chance of breaking your silicon based pistons at boost. saying that there is nothing IMO wrong with making a slow truck (take that with a grain of salt now) and breaking into the L territory. this being done without low compression motors.

the only comment i ever intended was a discussion of if and why LSx based trucks are gaining with head porting and LT headers at low boost levels that you guys are running. also why arent these trucks making the big tq numbers of the Eaton blown Triton (which in my opinion is an absolute DOG n/a compared to my 5.3L GMC)
Old 07-24-2004, 04:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

low blow? not much. i doubt that dude brings much to the table.
Don't bring much to the table? What the hell are you talking about? I don't normaly make this kind of comments but this time I just had to make an exception since it was you.
This is a perfect example why you get flamed around here.
Old 07-24-2004, 04:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

I don't think that the RADIX should be taken so lightly. I have one on my truck and it will eat a lightning in the range you're talking anyday .. as long as I have a transmission that is.

You should know just as well as we do ... these LSx motors are awsome and pretty strong in stock form. I'm amazed everyday at how much abuse these motors will take. In our case ... it's the trans that has to be an issue.

About the centrificul blowers ... they aren't very well suited for a truck because of the low rpms they have to start off at. If you don't mind driving around on a huge converter, then you can have one that runs VERY well, but that's not the case .. most of us truck guys don't want to loose the functionality of the truck.
Old 07-24-2004, 04:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

hey i get flamed around here because i dont completely agree with you guys and yet i am both an LS1 owner and an LSx truck owner that happens to drive an L as his daily driver. i know the strengths and weaknesses of both platforms and am ready to admit to both. i keep up with both sides of the fence and will be quick to whip up on the L owners about their big heads with their trucks that have no seating capacity, no function in the workplace/bad weather, and horrid gas milage.

there is you have to admit a LOT of brand blindness in this forum. i am just not brand loyal. i just admit where both can fail, including the LSx motor. i hear about all these trucks that will eat up modded Lightnings - yet the top 25 type lists arent even comparable. i have been to national, if you want to call it that, GM EFI races like the TR Shootout and that compared to the level of competition to the FFW/NMRA truck series isnt even close. i am not going to talk about the ONE 9 second L that is racing around and i wont talk about the ONE fast turbo truck of parish. i will look to the average fast truck on either board and notice there is a lot of catching up to do in the GM camp. probably has to do with the average L owner isnt a worktruck/family truck guy. 12s are boring in the L world. they arent over here. 11-10 second daily driver trucks are the talk on the other side of the fence remember fellas.
Old 07-24-2004, 04:38 PM
TECH Regular

I hear your point, 5000 pounds is nothing short of a sled. I guess I am just spoiled with a 3400 lb chevy with a 6.0/t56, I think a P1SC would do me alot more good than a radix anyway...
Old 07-24-2004, 04:51 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by retsell
Not in a truck. The P1SC makes good power, but its all up top, radix has a much better powerband. While the votec is still spooling, I'll be way ahead.

Just my opinion of course.

Your opinion true.
Old 07-24-2004, 08:59 PM
12 Second Club

Take 5 lbs of boost off your stock lightning
I'm not sure but I think there is a misunderstanding in this thread about the "2lb pulley" on the Lightnings, this means 2 more lbs than stock, which is 8psi, which would be 10lbs total boost. In the L world, a 2,4,6 etc pulley means psi over stock, not just running 2psi.

I may be reading these posts wrong, and if I am I'm the one that sounds like an idiot correcting the misunderstanding.

On that note, a 10psi Lightning will run low to mid 13s fairly easily.
Old 07-24-2004, 09:36 PM
Launching!

Out of curiosity, how much hp (in the real world) does 1psi net a lightning, and what is the realistic max boost on a lightning?

I agree with the prochargers being a good bet. I'd guess with my light truck, a 3000 stall, an ATI Procharger (with around 12 psi), some injectors, fuel pump (whatever other little **** you need), and a tune, I bet I could break off some even modded lightnings.

I'd rather have the radix though, the kit seems much more complete.

Quick Reply: Dyno numbers tomorrow on ecz71 with radix!!!!!!