Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Duramax guys, possible problem or just normal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 06:17 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Duramax guys, possible problem or just normal?

It's been pretty cold here lately in the mornings and my Dads Duramax has been acting up some.

It seems to only have problems first thing in the morning after it's sat all night so I'm thinking maybe it has something to do with the cold weather. On to the problem.

He said that it'll be running fine and then start running rough. It's a feeling like a very rapid engine miss like the engine is stumbling. It's like the truck loses power for a fraction of a second and then picks up again. It does this multiple times in very quick succession. It did this the first time the other morning and went away quickly. Then this morning he said it did it again and he could hear a popping noise coming from the engine along with the stumbling. Shortly after the noise the check engine light came on and the engine noise got very loud. That brings me to another question that I'll ask in a bit. He stopped, turned the truck off and started it again and the problem seemed to be gone, truck ran smooth as ever. The check engine light turned itself off after a couple drive cycles during the day also.

I read in the Duramax supplement book about cold weather possibly causing "waxing" in the fuel filter. That is what I'm leaning towards this being but, was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this, especially in colder areas. BTW, the fuel filter was just changed so it is new.

Now on to the "noise", I'll see if I can describe it. It's a normal noise that happens all the time first off. It happens mainly when you're giving the truck some gas accelerating and then after a bit while still on the gas you'll hear a kinda loud rattling and BRRRRRRR noise. This is the noise he heard this morning after the check engine light came on. He said it was loud and constant under any load until he stopped and restarted the truck. I was thinking it was a wastegate but, do the LLY's have one? I thought the variable vane turbo didn't use a wastegate? I have to admit that diesels are like voodoo to me, don't know much about them.

Summary of questions.

1. Anyone have any suggestions as to what is causing the truck to stumble on cold mornings(or so it seems)?

2. What is that rattling and BRRRRRRR noise coming from the engine?

3. Is there a special "socket" to loosen/tighten the water sensor in the fuel filter?

Thanks
Old 02-01-2005, 06:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL .. nice cliff notes.
Old 02-01-2005, 09:00 PM
Cuz I AM a BADMOFO

This might help
http://www.woodalls.com/cforum/index...g/14928155.cfm

Or try http://dieselplace.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=46
Old 02-01-2005, 09:12 PM
TECH Regular

Is it chipped? Some of those programmers have cold engine protection modes.
Old 02-01-2005, 09:19 PM
TECH Resident

Do you have any way to read codes on it? That might help you find a place to start.
Old 02-02-2005, 03:37 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Originally Posted by Soquel
Is it chipped? Some of those programmers have cold engine protection modes.

Yep, it's got a Juice box on it but, the problem didn't happen until maybe 20-30 minutes after he started driving. The engine was plenty warm.

BADMOFO - I'll check those places out, thanks.

VortecSierra - Nope, I have no way to read codes on it. If it continues to do it, even intermittently, I'll suggest he take it to the dealer to get the codes pulled. I'm sure that code is in the history even though the light went out.

Anyone else have any ideas? Thanks
Old 02-02-2005, 03:44 PM
TECH Resident

Just a word of caution, some dealers are really picky about the aftermarket performance modules, so he might want to un-hook Edge.
Old 02-02-2005, 03:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

How old is your Juice box? If more than 6 months or so give them a call for an update on it.
Old 02-02-2005, 03:47 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Originally Posted by VortecSierra
Just a word of caution, some dealers are really picky about the aftermarket performance modules, so he might want to un-hook Edge.
Absolutely

I'll have to check on how old it is Todd. It was one of the first Edge units out for the LLY but, it's not too old.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:16 AM
TECH Addict

I wish I could help... I just wanted to note that my fathers F350 (old style motor.... what is is, a 7.4?), makes a similar noise when cold. His sounds like a loud "wind rushing out the tailpipe noise" at idle. Once underway, it's a loud hissing noise. Not a whistle like spool, but a pressurized hissing noise like a plugged exhaust. I always thought it was the WG doing something to build (or bleed) any boost to get the motor to warm up quicker.

Quick Reply: Duramax guys, possible problem or just normal?