Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Doug Thorley's

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 10:14 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you can work up the coin, I'd recommend a stainless header if you live in a climate where you'll see snow, and especially if they salt the roads where you live. My StainlessWorks are holding up great against New Jersey winters and excessive amount of salt that our roads get covered in for weeks at a time.

I'm not knockin' the Thorley's, as they're supposed to be a quality header, and the tri-y design has proven to provide gains in the low end torque to mid rpm power department. I just know first hand that the StainlessWorks are a top notch quality header though...as least the set I have installed on my rig are
Old 06-02-2009, 10:32 PM
Baltimore Whore

Originally Posted by Jeteys5.3
im sure the pacesetters would do just fine for me and hold up as im away from the coast, im all the way west towards the NW part of VA near the WV line so no real crazy wet climate like Mangled might see. BUT i just think its a better investment if i save up for stainless! Might take me awhile to save up for Stainless Works but i think it will be worth it. Might have to put the SW's on my christmas list
I will post up pics of my pace setters after 4 1/2 years of salt and ran.. I would def go wit a SS header... At your stage if you plan to run a 3k verter something made for lower end power isn't gona do you any good, cause once the verter loks up the motor is already in a power making range...
Old 06-02-2009, 10:40 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by Mangled03gmc
I will post up pics of my pace setters after 4 1/2 years of salt and ran.. I would def go wit a SS header... At your stage if you plan to run a 3k verter something made for lower end power isn't gona do you any good, cause once the verter loks up the motor is already in a power making range...
Post #9 shows a pic of some coated PaceSetters after 2 Boston winters, there's nothing but rust. They look like a recent pic of the Titanic
Old 06-03-2009, 11:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the Thorley's on my 01 Yukon for 4 Michigan winters and they held up just fine. They were not the coated ones but the chrome headers. They looked better after 4 winters than my SS headers after one year.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:03 AM
TECH Regular

im sure the pacesetters would do just fine for me and hold up as im away from the coast, im all the way west towards the NW part of VA near the WV line so no real crazy wet climate like Mangled might see. BUT i just think its a better investment if i save up for stainless! Might take me awhile to save up for Stainless Works but i think it will be worth it. Might have to put the SW's on my christmas list
How much are coated Pacesetters? Close to $380? You can get coated Thorleys for $450-500 if you look around, that's what I paid for mine.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jiar577
How much are coated Pacesetters? Close to $380? You can get coated Thorleys for $450-500 if you look around, that's what I paid for mine.
they are $489 last time i checked. BUT that with Y pipe as well. Thorley's don't have a Y pipe so what would you do? have to get a custom one built? cause i don't think they bolt up to the stock Y
Old 06-03-2009, 12:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

They don't bolt up but they do exit inches in front of the stock cat location. It wouldn't take much for a knowledgeable shop to connect the two.

And in reality, this header design is what a majority of daily driven trucks on here really need. Torque is what gets these heavy beasts up and running.
Old 06-03-2009, 01:20 PM
TECH Regular

they are $489 last time i checked. BUT that with Y pipe as well. Thorley's don't have a Y pipe so what would you do? have to get a custom one built? cause i don't think they bolt up to the stock Y
That's why I said Pacesetters are around $380, without Y pipe.

The stock Y pipe works fine, you just need to cut & move the cats back a little or just cut them and weld some tube in its place if you want to get rid of them.
Old 06-03-2009, 01:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jiar577
That's why I said Pacesetters are around $380, without Y pipe.

The stock Y pipe works fine, you just need to cut & move the cats back a little or just cut them and weld some tube in its place if you want to get rid of them.
so they will bolt up to the stock Y?
Old 06-03-2009, 01:36 PM
TECH Regular

so they will bolt up to the stock Y?
It's not a bolt on job, you need to cut & weld but a shop can do it. It's not that hard really.

Quick Reply: Doug Thorley's