Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dont forget to change you exhaust fluid!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 06:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh yeah and as far as the price goes it is $25 for 2 1/2 gallons which is supposed to last the 5000 mile oil change intervals
Old 06-22-2010, 07:24 PM
formerly 1fstrst (11/25/2010)

WOW!!! I to thought this was just a joke thread. Now I can't use my flux capacitor joke. What will they come up with next.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 191 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by TrickyTransAm
all at an attractive price of $29.99 per gallon, dealer only?
How about $35.95 for a half pint?

http://www.cleartest.com/products/synthetic-urine/
Old 06-22-2010, 11:39 PM
On The Tree

This product has been in use in Europe for the last three years with very few problems. In some urbanized areas, the exhaust of the 2010 compliant engines is cleaner than the air they are taking in. Imagine a diesel powered vehicle cleaning the air as you drive it. Yes it is an added cost and a pain, but this is real clean diesel technology. It seems to be the direction diesels are heading across the board. Enjoy!
Old 06-23-2010, 11:35 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There are multiple manufacturers that sell it for 5.99/gal so you all can quit freaking out
Old 06-23-2010, 01:03 PM
11 Second Truck Club

My company was the first corp to bring it in to the US last year in the Off Road Market. It is AWESOME, you don't have to change it you just have to keep it full. Its huge in Europe, and Asia. It is called DEF fluid or SCR technology, its an easy way to make diesel engines meet emissions with out sacrificing power or engine reliability. Basically it allows us to dirty our injection systems back up and give better lubrication. It is held in a tank and misted into the exhaust after the turbo with an injector. I am the dealer personnel technical trainer for North America and it has been funny to hear the techs questions about it. It chemically catalysis's in the exhaust with Nox and breaks up the Nitrogen and oxygen molecules and creates pure nitrogen and water out of harmful diesel exhaust. It only needs in a 3% to fuel consumption ratio at MAX power so at part load it drops down to like 1-1.5% and one tank full will last a long time. My tractor has a about a 15 gallon tank on it and that much DEF can treat almost 600 gallons of fuel in a 300 PTO hp tractor, and makes it almost zero emissions. The nice thing about it is our tractors now with this new technology can run ZERO EGR (as a CAT TC said to me me, "you can only live so long on a steady diet of your own ****")! This will give us longer oil change intervals and saves a ton of fuel over Re-Gen systems and allows us to run a tier I injection and still meet tier IVb emissions. If you let the tank get to low it derates your power by 50% till you refill it. Not sure what Chevy does if it runs out but thats what we do.
We decided to use in instead of spending millions and millions of dollars engineering variable geometry turbos, air to air exhaust coolers, particulate traps and Re-Gen burn systems (like Deere)! Its actually so easy to install on current engines that California is considering making all off road diesels no matter when they were manufactured meet tier IV emmissions with after market SCR systems. I'm pretty sure we can get it as low as $3.75 if you buy it in bulk for farm use. It is actually 25 year old technology for Coal Fired Power Plants...

Last edited by MPFD; 06-23-2010 at 01:18 PM.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:07 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by trever1t
what if you put something other than what was intended?
We derate you by 50%, there is a specific gravity monitoring sensor (I believe it uses ultra sound) in the tank that is monitor over CAN. So in order to get around using anything but UREA (not urine) someone will have to come up with a CAN signal generator that plugs between the dosing control module and the main harness CAN network. We have logged several thousand hours in test machines with zero problems in the SCR system. Its not a new technology, just new in North America...
Old 06-23-2010, 01:15 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by TrickyTransAm
all at an attractive price of $29.99 per gallon, dealer only?

Sounds like standard GM dealer mark up. It has not really made its way into the network of fuel stations yet. But it will.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:38 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

Could we expect the same thing some time on gas engines since they produce NOx gases as well, or is the exhaust not hot enough?
Old 06-23-2010, 01:41 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Exhaust isnt really hot enough to fully vaporize the urea and the catalytic converters do a pretty good job at keeping tabs on emissions and is a simpler/cheaper solution for gas motors.

Quick Reply: dont forget to change you exhaust fluid!