Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does Your AMW Catch Can Whistle?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2004, 12:05 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Does Your AMW Catch Can Whistle?

Hello to all that are runnin the AMW Catch Can! I just installed mine this evening, came out quite nice. When I was driving around later I noticed a whistling sound mostly with the throttle closed...it can be heard while idling in Park. Anyway, the noise is coming from the catch can system; when I pinch the hose it goes away. No vacuum leaks, and the truck runs great.

I'm assuming this is normal, but I just want to make sure. Has anyone else experienced this, or should I be concerned? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 08-08-2004, 12:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure, because I don't have one yet. I can say that I personally know Todd at Accurate Machine works(I raced his grand national in my old H/C Z28 and got whooped), and he is a great guy, and he does great work. I will ask him if he has heard of others doing it if you would like.
Old 08-08-2004, 12:41 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by jimbo95z28
Not sure, because I don't have one yet. I can say that I personally know Todd at Accurate Machine works(I raced his grand national in my old H/C Z28 and got whooped), and he is a great guy, and he does great work. I will ask him if he has heard of others doing it if you would like.
Thanks a million, I appreciate that! I actually just emailed them a second ago through the contact section on the website. I'm really happy with the unit, the quality is unbelievable! Thanks for your help!
Old 08-08-2004, 11:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I will talk to him tomorrow then.
Old 08-08-2004, 04:52 PM
Staging Lane

I recently installed a catch can on one of our employees trucks, I believe it was an 01 model, and noticed his had a whistle also. We pulled his pcv and it was different than the other trucks we have installed the cans on. The pcv had a small hole in the bottom unlike a pintle design most other pcv valves have, he said it was the factory pcv. Not sure why the whistle got louder with the catch can but that has been the only time I have heard of this happening until now. You might try swapping the pcv valve and see if the whistle goes away.
Thanks jimbo for the compliments, looks like we need to get a can for the SS!

also, check the drain **** on the bottom of the can, it will make a whistle sound also if it is not closed good
Old 08-09-2004, 07:25 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Thanks for all of the replies guys, you've really been great! And thanks to Todd for replying to my email so quickly, you're customer service is as good as the quality of your product, and that's hard to find these days.
I just cleaned the induction system and top end with Seafoam, and look forward to my AMW catch can helping to keep it that way.
Old 08-12-2004, 07:22 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Just in case anyone was interested, I swapped the fixed orifice syle PCV with my old style spring and plunger PCV, and the whistle went away. Since I have the catch can now, I'm gonna stick with the original PCV...the fixed orifice didn't do diddly for the oil consumption issue anyway. Once again I gotta say thanks to Todd Kay over at AMW, awesome product, awesome customer service!

Rock On!