Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Disappointing Radix install on a 5.3L

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2003, 09:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disappointing Radix install on a 5.3L

Got a Radix installed last week and ended up with less than half of what Magnuson claims the Radix should deliver. Instead of the minimum 63% increase in power (see their web site at http://magnacharger.com/pr004.htm - 63% to 125% is what they claim), I saw about a 25% increase. Not what I was expecting, and needless to say, I am more than a little disappointed.

Specifically, I saw ~240 RWHP (stock Vortec 5300 + stock 4L60E) on the dyno before the install, and ~300 RWHP on the same dyno two days later, after the install. If my calculator works properly, 240 RWHP x 63% = 151 RWHP. According to Magnuson, I should be seeing 240 + 151 = 391 RWHP minimum, instead of the 240 + 60 = 300 RWHP I am now seeing.

Magnuson is requesting that I bring the vehicle up to them so they can examine it, but that won't happen until the week of 12/8. In the interim, does anyone else have before and after dyno runs for a Radix install on a 5.3L? Even a post-Radix install dyno sheet would be helpful. I want to know if what I am getting is similar to what others have been getting.

Other than a set of 20" wheels and tires, the vehicle is completely stock. I changed nothing else except the blower (no headers, air box, cat-back, etc.). For those interested, I am posting the dyno sheets. Any comments, input, or questions are greatly appreciated.

Here are the dyno numbers:

HP to TQ

1st Gear

2nd Gear

3rd Gear

HP to Air/Fuel

Old 11-26-2003, 10:48 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what year is your truck? tuning would help some, i agree 60hp sucks.
Old 11-26-2003, 10:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Um...those graphs are pretty crazy man. The only ones I am really paying attention to are the 3rd gear pull and your air/fuel.
Your air fuel is realy rich. Try to get it to 11.7:1 from 3800rpm on up to your redline. On the 3rd gear pull, where did the reading for the torque go at 4150rpms??? On a dyno pull, hp and torque must cross at 5250rpms (hp is derived from a torque function and they always meet at that point b/c it is part of the function)

My initial response would be, check out the Superchips tuner that came with the Radix. It seems that tune is way off. Also, who pulled your dyno? those graphs are hard to get tuning information from.
Let us know how it turns out. There are lots of guys on this forum runing the Radix SC that I am sure will chime in. One guy on here, BlownChevy, is practically a salesrep. for the Radix. He will have ideas for sure.
Old 11-26-2003, 11:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

I had awsome results with my RADIX on the black truck. It went from a good running 4x4 to holy **** that thing is quick. It would smoke the tires with no problem what so ever at a dead stop on up to the top of second. It would spin them at a 10-15 roll usually. Keep in mind .. this is a ECSB 4x4 with every feature available, so it wasn't a light truck by any stretch of means. I also had some bigger tires on it 285/75/16 BFG all-terrains.

I never got any dyno runs or track times with it, but I can tell you with certainty that something is up with your truck! You should be seeing something way more than that.

It would be hard to tune checking your o2's since any time it goes into boost it runs in PE which happens at about 40% throttle. Something's definantly up with that. Did you do the install or did someone else?
Old 11-27-2003, 01:25 AM
On The Tree

The truck is a 2003 Avalanche (5400 lbs curb weight) with 305/50-20's.

The Superchips tune is a one-time fixed tune especially constructed for the Radix installed 5.3L. No adjustments are possible with this particular Superchips unit - you can choose between the (1) stock, or (2) Radix tune, with nothing available to play with.

At 5250 RPM, stock HP/TQ is 196/196, with the Radix it is 238/238. I have the original dyno files and using the viewer from DynoJet's web site, I can manipulate them to see what I need to see. If there is something that would be more helpful (i.e. A/F in 3rd Gear only), I can probably construct it and then post it.

The shop that installed the Radix (they do lots of these installs) hooked up the Tech II to the truck after install and for air flow it read 366 at WOT (what are the units - cubic inches per minute?). I understand this is a good number and should equate to more than what I'm getting as far as RWHP.

As far as getting BlownChevy's help, well, we'll see. I think I have some apologizing to do before that would ever happen....
Old 11-27-2003, 03:29 AM
TECH Addict

HAHA my bad Fun Guy I just read your other post where things got out of hand a little bit between you and BlownChevy. Honestly not a big deal though man. I am sure he will still help out, he is a pretty cool guy.

The 366 that you state is the airflow reading that the MAF (Mass Airflow Senser) recorded. That one was grams/second. There is also a standard way to read the MAF in lb/min, but g/s is used for tuning since everything on these trucks is metric.

Also, 366 is a very good airflow reading. You should be seeing more hp than what you are...I would just be on the safe and assured side and bring it to Magnuson. They should be able to tell you exactly what is wrong and fix it for you. I understand about the Superchips program being just a one time, one program thing. I was just wondering if something in that Radix tune in the Superchips tuner got messed up somehow. I am just guessing about that though really because I cannot see a brand new supercharger being bad
Hope all works out for you man!
Ryan
Old 11-27-2003, 08:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Have you tried reflashing it? If you hook that little POS back up, there is an option to re-flash it. Give that a try and see what happens.

I just can't think of what it could be. Do you have any logs from something like ATAP or EFILive?

Ryan, what would that equate to as for lbs/m? What is the formula to get it in g/c?
Old 11-27-2003, 08:59 AM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i dont have a formula but 366 is around 45lb/minute. not a bad number at all. i would expect to see 350+rwhp with that flow but i dont have ANY dyno time so what do i know.
Old 11-27-2003, 09:50 AM
TECH Junkie

It sounds like your bypass valve is out of adjustment and bleeding off boost.Do you have a boost gauge?The Radix kit with stock pulley should make 6-61/2 lbs.Check the vacuum lines that control the bypass that's more likely the problem than the Super chips tuning.
Old 11-27-2003, 10:10 AM
TECH Addict

Maybe the Dyno is just screwed up??? You havent said how it runs. Is it Holyshit it's alot faster, or yeah it runs a little better??
I'm with everyone else, your MAF reading indicates more power than the dyno is showing.

Quick Reply: Disappointing Radix install on a 5.3L