Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Direct inject and carbon build up

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 09:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Direct inject and carbon build up

I have a tech question concerning the new direct injected engines from GM and I figure you all hear are more knowledgeable than some sedan forum.
I also want to ask here to see if we are going to see the same issue on my dads GMC All Terrain with the 6.2L direct injected motor

I have a 2013 Chevrolet Impala 3.6L direct injected motor with 100,000 miles that hasn't had one hiccup.
I recently pulled the intake so I could change spark plugs and coil boots.
I noticed carbon building up on top of the intake valves.
I won't say it's a lot but more than I would like to see.
I am learning this is common with DI engines as you don't have the fuel spray constantly washing the valves clean and the build up is from fumes or vapors pulled from the engine by PCV system.
I also cleaned the throttle body as it was pretty dirty/oily inside.
I also had oil in the intake boot from the air filter housing to the throttle body.

You direct injected V8 guys seeing the same things?
Anything we can do to prevent this?
Old 10-19-2017, 11:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

My 2011 Infiniti M56S was terrible at 90K. I ended up using crushed walnut shells to media blast the valves after using B12 to soak the carbon to loosen it up. Worked really well although a bit messy. I went from having P0300 random misfires to a healthy V8. Power and Fuel Mileage both increased. I am using GM Top Engine clean every 7,500 miles now prior to every other oil change. The valves in some cylinders where so gummed up with oily carbon they were leaking compression back into the intake causing the misfiring at lower rpm under load.

Before

After
Old 10-20-2017, 10:04 AM
Staging Lane

This it the way my intake valves look, just not quite that bad
Old 10-20-2017, 10:26 AM
Launching!

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

yup, no real way to avoid it.... catch can on the pcv may help some, water/meth system on my other car helps, walnut blasting every 50k miles isnt that bad
Old 10-20-2017, 11:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I would absolutely be running a catch can on the dirty side and a check valve on the fresh air inlet to the intake tube. B12 chemtool cleaner is the best cleaner I've found. I prefer it in the spray can, so hold out for that if you can. Otherwise it comes in a pour bottle.
Old 10-23-2017, 07:19 AM
hog
TECH Fanatic

Water/meth injection

peace
Hog
Old 10-27-2017, 07:12 AM
On The Tree

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I am a tech at a Ford dealership. Almost all the new vehicles are DI. The carbon build up is a big problem we see all the time. Ive seen some valves look like the ones pictured above on cars and trucks with 20-30k miles. No way around it. From what ive read on the Ford tech websites newer vehicles are going to come with DI, but are also going to have a second set of injectors to spray the valves to help with the carbon build up problem. Don't judge me being a Ford tech I am die hard chevy. I have a Silverado and a Tahoe and my wife has a Tahoe. This was the first place I got hired at out of school and 12 years later im still here. Fords Suck!! trust me I work on them.
Old 10-27-2017, 11:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by jfuegner
Fords Suck!! trust me I work on them.
As a mechanic, it pays to work on less dependable cars. I knew a Land Rover tech who was making near $200k at a dealer because he was a MACHINE and would also constantly have an underling in training multiplying his efforts.
Old 12-30-2017, 08:51 PM

Jesus that is alot of gunk.

I installed a catch can system on my truck the day I got it home.
Used the UPR dual valve setup.
Hoping it works enough I dont have to do a major cleaning anytime soon