Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

delete egr/air

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 09:43 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default delete egr/air

how do you go about deleting egr/air in an 01' silverado 4.8? What gets taken out, how do u keep from throwing codes, etc.? In other wods, the best process for deleting it....take into consideration as well that new long tubes with egr are goin on and cats are comin off...thanks guys!
Old 02-08-2005, 10:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can get a custom tune and they can delete it. If you just block it off you will throw a code.
Old 02-09-2005, 06:37 AM
Launching!

where might i get something like that done?
what do they delete?
Old 02-09-2005, 07:15 AM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by skindog39
where might i get something like that done?
what do they delete?
If you don't already have a custom tune then you'll be really happy you did. REALLY HAPPY.

Sponsors on the right ---------------------------------->

I'd recommend Allen at NelsonPerformance.com. He's a sponsor as well. Phone 210-626-0278
Old 02-09-2005, 10:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

I completely agree with you, a custom tune is probably one of the best things that you can do to your truck. Now time for the free advertising again for Allen, the Nelson tune is AMAZING!
Old 02-09-2005, 12:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

I just asked this question a few weeks ago. Some of the responses I got were that even with a custom tune, it canges other things and still runs like crap. Now if anyone has actually done it and gotten good results, post up. I know (have heard) that you can't just toggle them off with a tune without changing other things in the tune to make up for it.
Old 02-09-2005, 12:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GREGGO
I just asked this question a few weeks ago. Some of the responses I got were that even with a custom tune, it canges other things and still runs like crap. Now if anyone has actually done it and gotten good results, post up. I know (have heard) that you can't just toggle them off with a tune without changing other things in the tune to make up for it.
A friend(rgvsierra) of mine took it his off and seems to have gotten good results. Maybe he will post up.
Old 02-09-2005, 01:57 PM
Staging Lane

maybe i'm unclear on this... what is the advantage to removing the egr system?
Old 02-09-2005, 09:55 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BlackSilver
maybe i'm unclear on this... what is the advantage to removing the egr system?
My gas pedal was alway sticking due to the exhaust crap in my TB from the EGR. So I took it out. Runs fine now and frees up space in the engine. Plus I don't logically see how putting hot exhaust gas back in an engine is good.
Old 02-09-2005, 10:35 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Believe it or not, EGR actually decreases cylinder temps and helps to eliminate pinging (one of the by-products of it's design as an emission device). As hot as that exhaust is, it's still cooler than what's going on inside the cylinder. Now, if the engine starts to ping, and the PCM pulls timing, egr deletion just created a loss of power. The pinging alone is wasting power even before the PCM attempts to correct it.

If KR isn't an issue, and the cyl temps are cool enough, then egr will really do very little for you except to save 1/100000000000000000 of the atmosphere, and create carbon build up in places you don't want it.

Quick Reply: delete egr/air