Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Custom Tune Gains

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2004, 02:12 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How does dual octane work with a Nelson tune since it's not a handheld where you reprogram it to the octane you're running?
Old 10-09-2004, 07:46 AM
Formerly one92rs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

for instance. if you run 87 octane in it after running 93 octane it will ping a little when you get on it. after that the pcm will switch to the lower timing tables. allen will have maxed out the lower timing tables for it to still run well. then when you put 93 or 91 back in it will be able to go to the higher tables.
Old 10-09-2004, 08:00 AM
Staging Lane

Whats the 91 "Hot Tune" consist of?
Old 10-09-2004, 08:09 AM
Formerly one92rs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

the 91 octane tune is--the high octane tables have the timing turned up to get the most power. it is the same on the lower tables. it's a little less perfp when you go to the low octane tables but it will still run pretty good.i have a 93 tune. i have put in 87 octane for a couple a trips. since i do not have the dual octane tune it would pnig if i got on it. as long as i was cool with it it worked fine.
Old 10-09-2004, 09:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

All the satisfied Nelson cutomers made me go with him but now that I have the tune I dont know what I would do if I didnt have the free updates. I mean email/call Allen and tell him what your doing and within a week(thst the longest its taken for me) you will have a new updated tune. I think I gained like 20+-Ill have to go look at the dyno sheets!

Oh yeah about the shiftkit- After I tried to call KDS for 2 days straight every 30 minutes and never got even a answering machine I call Jagperformance.com who is actually right next to Nelson and I think they are good friends as well. Joe & Jag has a kit put together with the Transgo shiftkit,Vette servo,and a few other parts that you need to replace when your in your tranny(like aluminum accum to replace the stock plastic one) for $151 shipped. I went with them because he and his wife were very very helpful Plus I like having everything I needed already put in a kit!
Old 10-13-2004, 05:19 PM
Launching!

Got my Nelson tune in today. Haven't driven it much but from what I have driven it from about a 35mph roll when I stomp it it will chirp the rear tires every time. It will be later tonight or tomorrow before I get a good race goin to give me a little comparison. Customer service was great from Nelson definately recommend him.
Old 10-13-2004, 08:05 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by htsht
Debating on ordering a Nelson tune. What kind of gains will a person really see. Have heard different ones say that our trucks are very badly tuned from factory. Only mods I have now are Magnaflow and custom intake.

Will have servo and shift kit done as soon as I get around to ordering them. Whats the best place to order them from?
I got the MTI tune and am very happy with it I gained 24 rwhp
Old 10-13-2004, 08:11 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by WillPewter2000
Got my Nelson tune in today. Haven't driven it much but from what I have driven it from about a 35mph roll when I stomp it it will chirp the rear tires every time. It will be later tonight or tomorrow before I get a good race goin to give me a little comparison. Customer service was great from Nelson definately recommend him.
Give it about 200 miles to really make a difference. It learns over time and improves as it learns. You'll see.
Old 10-13-2004, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Texas Terminator
even a hypertech tune makes a big difference over stock. custom tune will do much more for about the same price as a hand held tuner, you just have to send it back to them if you want anything changed. whatever you do, it will put a smile on your face.untill you want more again.
That's a heck of a truck...what does it run?
Old 10-13-2004, 09:00 PM
On The Tree

You will gain mpg's with a tune. Remember economy is a bi-product of effeciency.

I have the Nelson 91-93 tune with all tm and speed limiter removed. All stock except for LT1 fans, K&N replacement filter, vette servo, and billet overdrive servo. I have never been to the track or to the dyno but the "butt" dyno is telling this thing is a completely different animal. My rpm's use to slowly climb to 5200 before shifting at WOT, now they scream to 5600-5700 then snap into second gear, then 3rd, then (I never got that far).

Another big defference I noticed is when I have the cruise control on. I travel the same stretch of highway everyday coming home from work and I encounter this 6% grade of a hill. My truck use to have to kick down to 3rd gear to maintain cruise speed w/ the factory tune but not with the nelson tune.

=Dave

Quick Reply: Custom Tune Gains