Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Crane powermax power-tuner...

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 11:07 AM
Cuz I AM a BADMOFO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's exactly how I feel. I'm not willing to risk deleting TM for a tenth or two on a 14 second pig! That's senseless.
Old 04-05-2005, 11:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

mark, have you tried to do a scan of the crane tune, with hptuners yet? i'd be curious to see what their tune looks like, i've looked at hptIII and superchips, superchips seems to run more timing and i'm curious what crane's doing..... as welll as their fuel curve. off topic........ you still going to epping on may 22 ? couple of my friends and i are headed that way, and i'd like to check out your ride, and shoot the ****....... very interested in this crane tuner, before i decide to buy hptuners....( right now josh luthers', i met him on here, and he's been kind enough to let me use his hptuners program so i can read tunes.... and he's been working with me a lil, on tuning my truck)
Old 04-05-2005, 08:06 PM
FormerVendor

Ok if I step in here for a minute? None of the VHP/Crane tuners delete torque mananagement. We realize how important it is. We simply broaden the parameters of this feature to accomodate the increases in torque that occur with power products. I would personally like to thank all of you who have commented about our tuner. We are constantly trying to improve our products and your input is valued. Those of you who have not yet used our tuner have good questions. Keep them coming. Roger Vinci
Old 04-05-2005, 09:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Joe, whens the GP on the tuners hehehehe

So say I got a 200/200 cam and used that tune. Would it raise the shift points for that cam? If so, to what rpms? Just wondering how much power could be expected from using your tune in that porgrammer with that cam compared to stock.
Old 04-09-2005, 01:55 PM
10 Second Club

it only raises shift points when you select that function. in some cam profiles it'll raise the RPM limit 300 rpms. here's a dyn ograph of the wife's car when i used the tuner after i put heads on her car. still stock cam. 17 rwhp gain at peak
Old 04-09-2005, 02:01 PM
10 Second Club

now on the price vs using an editor. yes for a little more money you can get an editor and do everything yourself. and i mean everything. now this is more cost effective for two reasons. #1 if you already have a laptop and #2 have some clue on what you are doing. of course, there are many threads and people willing to help. but you can still get lost and spend many, many hours fine tuning until perfect. ask marc_w about it as he's doing both editor and crane tuner.

with the tuner, theres been over 1000 hours researching and making the programs for each cam profile. there has been over 28 cars for the car tuner used in making it. don't know how many trucks were used. all the tiny stuff has been done for you. idle, driveability, stalling issues, TM (not deleted just broadened), etc. you just get to fine tune it in for your application after loading one the the profiles that match your situation. now will it fix everything like an editor, no. doesn't acutally delete codes, just broadens them in such a way as not to trip the light. for a guy that knows nothing about tuning, and doesn't want to, it'll be the one handheld tuner (not just a programmer) to choose.
Old 04-09-2005, 04:49 PM
TECH Veteran

can someone list the first few cam sizes it covers also

also, i take you can raise rpms 50 at a time? So, if needed you can raise them 200rpms higher and not just 50 over stock?

i'd like to see how much timing was adding also.. im debating this and hp tuners.. only thing this programer doesnt do it turn off SES codes? I know it earses the ses light, but would it turn off rear 02's and etc in case i dlete my cats later..
Old 04-09-2005, 08:40 PM
On The Tree

Is there an option for raising the speed limiter?
Old 04-10-2005, 05:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dragonman0325
Is there an option for raising the speed limiter?
Yes. You can bump it up to like 130 (or somewhere around that point) or just completely remove it.

Hey Roger, I think the only thing I would change about my tuner is greater ability to tune shift points. The WOT 1-2 shift is perfect, but to get the best track times I have to manually hold out 2nd a little longer.

Other than that, it's exactly what I needed. I don't have time to learn how to tune and it's a two hour drive to the nearest competent dyno tuner, so a handheld that I can use to tune for a cam is perfect for me.

Oh and IMO the best thing about this handheld (other than the preset cam tuning options) is how much better the truck drives at part throttle. My truck always shifted into 2nd gear way too early at anything less than 1/2 throttle.
Old 04-10-2005, 10:41 PM
10 Second Club

http://www.stealthram.com/vhptuner.htm here's a tutorial i made for vinci on the tuner.

dragonman0325 - you can raise the speed limiter to unlimited if you want. just make sure you have the appropriate rated tires as well.

98TAauto - in the tutorial, it explains the cam selections for each cam tune for the cars. not sure what the cam selections are for the trucks, as i have not used it personally. (i don't have a truck) the rpm increases are up to 300 rpms over stock in 50 rpm increments.

seeing red again - roger and i have discussed that feature as well as other options. still looking into adding it one day.

Quick Reply: Crane powermax power-tuner...