Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Crane powermax power-tuner...

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2005, 11:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats interesting you say that

mine run 39* timing at 10.8afr with no knock

and I stepped it up 1* at a time with the retuned 13.4-13.6afr
all the way to 33* with no knock
none heard none logged

but got scared at 33 so I backed it back down to 28*

only thing I see in common here is the cam

I wander if that has anything to do with it
Old 04-01-2005, 02:17 PM
Cuz I AM a BADMOFO

Originally Posted by greentahoe
Have you compared the file from the crane tuner to your latest with HPTuners?? It sounds like they really did their homework.
That's what I was wondering??? And what made you decide to spend the $430 or so on the Powermax tuner when you already have HPtuners? Also, is the Crane tuner locked to the vin, or is it like the Hypertech where you can put the tuner back to stock and use it on another vehicle. If that is the case, you could copy various tunes with your HPTuners software and then resell the Crane tuner??? Is that possible?
Old 04-01-2005, 02:23 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by BADMOFO
That's what I was wondering??? And what made you decide to spend the $430 or so on the Powermax tuner when you already have HPtuners? Also, is the Crane tuner locked to the vin, or is it like the Hypertech where you can put the tuner back to stock and use it on another vehicle. If that is the case, you could copy various tunes with your HPTuners software and then resell the Crane tuner??? Is that possible?

When the Crane tuners first came out they vin locked but they did an update and now they don't. I found that out the hard way because I went ahead and sold mine on ebay and when the guy recieved it he gave me a call and said it was locked into my vin, which ended up being a big mess.
Old 04-02-2005, 07:52 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BADMOFO
That's what I was wondering??? And what made you decide to spend the $430 or so on the Powermax tuner when you already have HPtuners?
Basically, a friend of mine is letting me borrow it for a while before I agree to purchase it. I love doing my own tuning, but I don't currently have all the tools or knowlegde needed to do things well enough to let me really sleep at night or step back and say, "Yeah, it's fully tuned and tuned properly now".

Also, is the Crane tuner locked to the vin, or is it like the Hypertech where you can put the tuner back to stock and use it on another vehicle. If that is the case, you could copy various tunes with your HPTuners software and then resell the Crane tuner??? Is that possible?
Yeah, you can put it back to stock and use it on another vehicle...

I think there are two types of locking involved... vin locked, and then a flash or program lock... I honestly haven't looked to see if the actual program is locked, or if I can download the tune to HPTuners and view it. I'm willing to bet that I could download it, but it's going to be locked and I won't be able to view anything. They have to protect their product from someone who might go and try to do the above, and then sell the proprietary info on the side.
Old 04-02-2005, 10:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what cams is the tuner setup for?
Old 04-04-2005, 02:06 PM
TECH Addict

There are three different options for aftermarket cams... I believe the biggest one it's tuned properly for is the 216/224 115LSA Crane/VHP cam. I believe the middle one is the 210/218 114LSA - and I'm not sure on the smallest one, I'll have to look up the part number. Basically it's everything on the "SUV" cam page on the VHP site..
Old 04-04-2005, 08:31 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I mess around with mine from time to time for kicks. Right now, my normal 02 PCM is at PCMforLess getting upgraded for electric fans and Bryan's tweaking the bottom end a little more. Saturday I had the crank relearn done on my backup 02 PCM, and yesterday I loaded the cam1 tune straight up, with shift timing and pressure enhanced, also bumped the idle up 50 rpm. It runs really good, very impressive. nice at part throttle and moves well at WOT...(that's where Bryan's tune really works well...when you mash it!) Seems like it's a quick learner too...it felt more responsive on the ride home from work compared to the ride in this morning.
Old 04-04-2005, 11:08 PM
TECH Veteran

dothey have the TM porgrammed out as a defualt on this tune for all the cams they have listed? Im interested in the tuner, but dont want my TM deleted on my truck.

i take everyone is seeing a gain just by putting the cam tunes in thats closest to their cam size?

im just concerned about TM though..
Old 04-05-2005, 08:47 AM
Cuz I AM a BADMOFO

http://www.stealthram.com/vhptuner.htm

Hey Bro, check out the last box on the right hand side. It kinda says (from what I'm getting) that it automatically does this, it doesn't provide an "option" of doing it. I don't like that. I also don't like how you just select "raise shift points"...and it raises them to where they want them. I understand that they put a lot of R&D into this and surely have determined the most efficient shift points, but I like the ability to change the shift points incrementally like I can with the Hypertech. All in all, there is a TON more that you can do with the Crane/Vinci than the Hypertech, but its' over $400 everywhere I've seen it. I'd probrobally do HPTuners if I was going to go that much, especially if I had two LSX based vehicles, as I think they offer (or were) a 2 for 1 deal. I like the USED HppIII's in the $150 range still. I know you're leary, but what's not to like? If you don't like it, put it on Ebay and get your money back. Simple.
Old 04-05-2005, 09:04 AM
TECH Veteran

if i can find a used hpp3 i'd get it.. that other one sold before I pm'ed him that same day lol

i dont wanna delete my TM, so i wish that tuner had a OPTION to delete ot not to. Its just to many blown tanny posts from no TM that ive seen. Granted the truck may last a long time with it deleted, or it might last 3 weeks

Quick Reply: Crane powermax power-tuner...