PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   GM Engine & Exhaust Performance (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-engine-exhaust-performance-21/)
-   -   Cooling problems?! (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-engine-exhaust-performance-21/cooling-problems-432472/)

fastnblu 01-11-2009 02:27 PM

Cooling problems?!

My 04 recently is takin longer to get to operating temp ( according to temp gauge). So therefore, the windows don't defrost as quick. That's a problem. It's 31* today, & headed in the teens this week.
I had the truck running while I did the snow today. For ~45 min, it still isn't blowin hot, yet the temp gauge is ~200*.
Within 10 minutes of shuttin down truck, I was able to touch my the upper & lower rad hoses. To my surprise, neither was hot. I thought 1 or the other, would be. I smell coolant ( could've been from excessive idling).:eyes:
The overflow is low. If there should be 3" to get the overflow to the full mark ( or halfway) in overflow tank, I figure it's 2" of coolant gone.:ripped:

When this 1st started, ~1wk ago, I thought great, thermostat.:bang:

I'm thinkin look inside rad. & top off. And hope that's it. More than likely, a new T-stat is needed too.

So my questions are this:

When I add coolant, I just add to the radiator, correct?
I know on the Gen2 LT1 u had to fill thru the overflow due to the pressurization of the cool. system/ reverse flow cool.

I can use the old green antifreeze or the new shit, & add to the factory red, correct?

Fireman31 01-11-2009 03:58 PM

There has to be a reason for the coolant loss....it may be time to pressure check the system and have it flushed too. Add fresh coolant to the radiator if your vehicle is equipped with a radiator cap, if not add it to the overflow. A low coolant level and/or a bad thermostat can cause heater problems.

You will want to use ORANGE DexCool approved antifreeze/coolant. you cannot mix the standard green crap with it......and red antifreeze is Toyota coolant......

fastnblu 01-11-2009 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Fireman31 (Post 4098181)
There has to be a reason for the coolant loss....it may be time to pressure check the system and have it flushed too. Add fresh coolant to the radiator if your vehicle is equipped with a radiator cap, if not add it to the overflow. A low coolant level and/or a bad thermostat can cause heater problems.

You will want to use ORANGE DexCool approved antifreeze/coolant. you cannot mix the standard green crap with it......and red antifreeze is Toyota coolant......

Agreed, it's going somewhere. Ya, I haven't pressure checked it yet. Here I thought the 2 coolants could be mixed. By red, I meant DexCool.

fastnblu 01-11-2009 09:00 PM

Well, it was 2 qts. low. Now I know why I don't ever member seeing a rad. cap under the hood. There isn't one.

CashDudeHomie 01-13-2009 03:45 AM

The green Prestone has been compatible for the past year or two. Just check the label.