Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

coolant throttle body bypass

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 12:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nightmarechevy
I did it and it does keep it cooler which is good here in TX. I feel that it may have helped a LITTLE but nothing very big. I guess every little bit helps though. I found these dyno results if you want to check them out.
http://www.bmrfabrication.com/tb-dyno.htm
Ive seen that before. I just cant believe it. 6 rwhp from that mod just sounds crazy. Most are thrilled to see a 10 rwhp gain from underdrive pulleys. I guess it cant hurt since its free, but I wouldnt do it anywhere that gets real cold.
Old 01-17-2005, 12:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, not sure how true the dyno report is.
Old 01-17-2005, 03:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

That dyno chart looks as if it is based on an LT1 engine (96-TA) and not a GenIII engine. As I said earlier, I believe the LT1 benefits a great deal more with this mod.

I would like to see a before and after pull for a GenIII motor, though
Old 01-17-2005, 03:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

unless u live in like arizona, it aint really worth it
Old 01-17-2005, 04:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

I live in TX and it gets pretty hot here, it seemed to run a little cooler after it but I'm not sure it there are any real gains other than that. Its supposed to give 4 rwhp but we all know not to believe what most power adders like this are "supposed to give."
Old 01-17-2005, 04:14 PM
On The Tree

I would say it's not worth the trouble unless you have to move the throttle body for a FI application, then it's just easier to connect the two tubes rather than extending them to the tb.

nate
Old 01-17-2005, 06:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You do not gain any real HP by doing it. The PCM has firmware to look for it and compensate for it a idle and the amount of cooling on a 90 deg day going 70 mph is zero. More cyber HP than anything.
Old 01-17-2005, 10:06 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Gordy M
You do not gain any real HP by doing it. The PCM has firmware to look for it and compensate for it a idle and the amount of cooling on a 90 deg day going 70 mph is zero. More cyber HP than anything.
It keeps your TB much cooler regardless. Before you couldn't even touch it now its cool to the touch. I doubt 6 HP but it can't hurt. It is the only free mod that I would do again.
Old 02-02-2005, 05:41 PM
Launching!

not to get off the topic, but i was skeptic about the ram air mod as welll.... (free ram air) my friend has a mitsubishi evolution... and before i did the mod, and new iar filter... i lost to him by a car and a half from a 40 mph roll in 2nd

aferr the mod.. i was beating him by a car/car and a half... if you dont believe me go i will get him to agree to me that this is correct... every little mood to the ls1 helps greatly.... IMPO

it shows on the streets....

i havent done this mod yet... but maybe i will.. if somone can link me to a write-up.... then i will report back with info on performance specs when i take on the evo again!

Thanks

Dan @ www.ChicagoStreetRacing.net
Old 02-02-2005, 05:49 PM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

whats the ramair mod?
I did the tb bypass and it gets wicked cold here in NH and i havn't had a problem with the throttle blades freezing.

Quick Reply: coolant throttle body bypass