Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

comp 216/220?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2004, 07:15 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Vinci now is porting cylinder heads, correct?

Do you have flow numbers with the intake manifold in place? If so, could you post the results?

Thanks.
Old 10-03-2004, 08:31 AM
Formerly one92rs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

man and all i said is i liked my 216-220-525-532-114 cam. all this talk about intakes and cams and duration numbers. hell this makes me want to go put a 396 in my truck with a carb and run it.
Old 10-03-2004, 10:27 AM
TECH Addict

This is a great thread. Good call on logging vacuum and using it as a intake restriction tool, MRR23. Some things seem so obvious when they're pointed out to you, but I never would have thought of it on my own.

I was getting close to seriously looking into LS6 or LS2-truck intake soon... but I'd love to know what's up with the small cam vs truck intake "oddity" first.

One thing about the 10* less duration (at .050") I'm running on the intake now... the cam feels much more "cammy" compared to the very linear TR220. It's very pronounced when the cam wakes up and makes good power down there at like 1,800rpm. That's one thing I don't hear many people mention with the Comp 212/218 low lift... which I would kind of expect...

I don't know where the think the power, streetability, and FUN comes from - VE's, Accelerate Lift technology, or...............?
Old 10-03-2004, 08:33 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SportSide 5.3
Look at the dyno graphs of LS1's. Power begins to fall off. This is a clear sign.

The intake manifold becomes a restriction and bottle necks the engine. It can not meet the demands of the cylinder head.

This is why tq is usually at its peak around 4800rpm or less. And hp at 6200-6400rpm's or less.

Most all EFI motors are intake restricted. Power drops. In the carb world, some of the setups will climb to 7400rpm. Like I said, the design is the restriction.
why do you want to turn 7400 rpms if you don't have to. your looking at this from a completely drag racing setup. hell the stock motor isn't going to like turning 7400 rpms.
Old 10-03-2004, 08:40 PM
10 Second Club

Vinci now is porting cylinder heads, correct?

Do you have flow numbers with the intake manifold in place? If so, could you post the results?

Thanks.
they have always been porting heads. i don't have any numbers of the heads with intake on.
Old 10-03-2004, 09:00 PM
TECH Veteran

your looking at this from a completely drag racing setup.
A performance stand point I would call it.

why do you want to turn 7400 rpms if you don't have to
Your missing the point. With the GM manifolds in place, power usually begins to drop at 6200-6400rpm give or take w/ setup.

Perhaps we could gain power getting there with a non restricted manifold.
Of course, this might lead to lack of low end power and throttle response.
This is where you come up with reverse splits to compensate for the restricted intake manifold.

It seems you feel because the FAST manifold isn't revealing better dyno results, we are not intake restricted. Is that a false assumption?

Get Vinci to flow a set of HEADS w/ the manifold in place.
Old 10-03-2004, 09:31 PM
10 Second Club

A performance stand point I would call it.
for a drag racing set up. most of the guys here in this forum don't drag race their trucks.

Your missing the point. With the GM manifolds in place, power usually begins to drop at 6200-6400rpm give or take w/ setup.

Power begins to drop at 6200, but perhaps we could gain power there with a non restricted manifold. Possibly, but then we might suffer with low rpm power and throttle response.
Either way...
The intake manifold is a restriction.
but again i ask, why do you want to turn that much rpms? and how long are you at 6200 rpms? you are only looking at this from a top end issue. where most people in this truck forum aren't going to venture into. let me help you out here. you want to turn 7000 rpms with the motor in your truck. then by all means go out and get a LSx intake. stop looking at the above 6000 rpm issue. your motor will spend more time in the 2500-6000 RANGE. you are at 6200 for a fraction of a second.

Get Vinci to flow a motor w/ the manifold in place.
you mean a head right? don't think i've ever seen anyone flow a motor. but which intake? and why? why not just flow the intake by itself. isolate the issue with it. you can get flow numbers for the intake. and just look at the flow numbers for the head and see at what lift the problem will be at. then you can go use the formula to determine airflow requirement for CID vs RPM and find it that way.
Old 10-03-2004, 09:37 PM
TECH Veteran

MR223,

I edited alot of my post.

might wanna re read
Old 10-03-2004, 09:59 PM
10 Second Club

believe me, i'm not missing the point.

Perhaps we could gain power getting there with a non restricted manifold.
Of course, this might lead to lack of low end power and throttle response.
This is where you come up with reverse splits to compensate for the restricted intake manifold.
with this change in the rpm band, you now have to go and change other components to match it. rear gears, tire heights, etc. to name a few. there is a way bigger picture to look at other than the motor.

It seems you feel because the FAST manifold isn't revealing better dyno results, we are not intake restricted. Is that a false assumption?
nope not a false assumption. if it was such a restriction, you would see way more gain than 10 hp. and looking at your board name, a 5.3 just isn't going to need such a large runner intake. unless, you are wanting to turn above 6000 rpm and stay there for a long period of time. and are going to make the other changes necessary to make it work. (rear gears, tire heights). horsepower only changes MPH. torque changes ET. and yes i read the car craft article.

we can go round and round on this for weeks to come. you are dead set on wanting to change your intake. time to get off the pot and do it. but, when you do, get ready for a large cam (with driveability issues, i like lumpy cams sounds too), more rear gear, shorter tires (or larger if you went too far on the gear swap).
Old 10-03-2004, 10:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Ok, I'll be sure to report back.

Quick Reply: comp 216/220?