Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

comp 216/220?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2004, 02:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Naked AV
What I meant is that whether the cam is a 206/212, or a 212/218, or a 218/222, they recommend 4* advance.
FWIW, Most of the Vinci cams and all of their truck cams have 5* advance ground in them!
Old 09-25-2004, 03:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Nakid.

I understand what you said, I just don't know what your point is.

If they recommend a particular camshaft to be advanced 4*, that is not the correct camshaft for the combination. You install a camshaft straight up, and they grind in however many degrees they need to give you the correct valve events.
Old 09-25-2004, 07:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SportSide 5.3
Nakid.

I understand what you said, I just don't know what your point is.

A camshaft's duration isn't effected by being advanced nor retarded.

If they recommend a particular camshaft to be advanced 4*, that is not the correct camshaft for the combination. You install a camshaft straight up, and they grind in however many degrees they need to give you the correct valve events.
I see why you misunderstood. I meant to say that all these cam manufacturers recommend that a 4* advance be ground into their cams, not that they be advanced 4*(although if you were buying an already manufactured cam - i.e. a Lingenfelter GT2 - you would want to advance it 4* since there is no advance ground in....same effect).
Old 09-25-2004, 10:55 PM
TECH Veteran

From what I have learned, there is alot more than just slapping 4 degrees of timing advance to any and every camshaft. I would be interested in comparing valve events to what "your looking for", instead of automatically degreeing your camshaft 4* advanced. Do all of Comp and Cam motions camshafts have the exact same valve events? I just don't see the point in advancing any and every one of their camshafts 4*.

There has been proven cases where retarding a camshaft gained in the 1/4 mile. You want correct valve events. Thats why I'm interested in the ASP KICKERS ve's.

I wish Roger would rejoin this topic. I have a question for you, if you do decide to come back and would like to see the asp kickers valve event specs (if possible).

-I choose the exhaust valve opening based on the intake valve opening.
-I then pick how much overlap I want in the cam.
-From there I choose the exhaust valve closing and intake valve closing.
-These give me my VE's for a particular setup.
-From there it's just a matter of choosing the right lobes. The LSA and intake centerline are just calculations....just a byproduct of the Valve events.
-As I said before I choose the lobes based on the flow charateristics of the motor. Intake to exhaust ratio with stub pipe on the exhaust & intake on the heads, whether boost or N2O is involved, racewieght, gearing, etc, etc.
Roger, how much of this would you agree with? Do you grind custom camshafts, and if so, are these the steps your company follows?

Also,
Every motor is different. What works well in one application may be totally wrong in another. Too many variables to post all the little things like this that go into designing the correct profile.
What about this statement, would you agree? If so, then is your cam selection page, just best guesses?

One more.
All motors I've slapped reverse-splits in have generally responded the same. Idle is much more stable, average power across the RPM band is increased....
This is a very interesting statement to me. Mainly because it says about the opposite of your initial response in this thread.
Old 09-28-2004, 07:37 AM
TECH Addict

I should say I dont like the way it works with my setup. Even with my 2500 stall it still suffered low end tq. I also think this cam peaks too early. I will be selling mine CHEAP very soon
Old 09-28-2004, 01:44 PM
10 Second Club

One more.
All motors I've slapped reverse-splits in have generally responded the same. Idle is much more stable, average power across the RPM band is increased....
This is a very interesting statement to me. Mainly because it says about the opposite of your initial response in this thread.
did roger state this somewhere else? because i can't find this inside this thread at all.
Old 09-28-2004, 02:10 PM
10 Second Club

Roger,

I still haven't grasped your logic on adding more exhaust duration to provide a fatter power band.
talked with roger today about this thread. right now, the phone lines are down. so they cannot get online to see this. larger split favoring the exhaust side produces a longer power curve versus a smaller split. (i.e. 216/220 has a tq band of 2500-3500 where a 216/224 would have a tq band of 2500-4500) the smaller split would make more peak tq over a shorter period.

Few questions:

-How does more exhuast duration make tuning easier? I've always heard the other way around, where more exhaust duration causes more misfire codes.
he said in his post easier for EXHAUST tuning. not PCM tuning. in this he is refering to EGTs and other things associated with it.

-Again, if we are intake limited, why add more exhaust duration?
the only limitation you have with the truck intake manifold is higher rpms. so, why go with a larger duration cam (216/220 vs 210/218)that pushes the entire power band to higher RPMs. if anything you want to keep the power band of the cam with the intake. CHP did an intake comparison. stock LS1, LS6, truck manifold, LSx, and Weiand. the truck manifold made more torque and almost as much horsepower as the LS6 manifold. i really don't think the trucks are intake limited.

-Shouldn't the valve events match the head flow and the users requirments?
of course. that's why they have done all the testing for Crane Cams in the LS engine series. when it came time for Crane to make cams for the LS1, they turned to VHP for the R&D part of it.

I'm just lost on most of your cam specs, where almost all favor 4* or more of exhaust duration. Hopefully, you don't take my questions the wrong way. I've heard of good results and am trying to figure it out.
none taken. they've been designing cams for the LS series since their introduction in 1997. they campaigned a 99 c5, Z06, and currently an 03 c5. http://www.vincihighperformance.com/...0HOMEPAGE.HTML

BTW:
Would it be possible for you to list the valve events of say the asp kicker?

Thanks.
i forgot to get them from him. also, if you are trying to model the cam profile in DD2003 or another engine dyno simulator, it cannot show you a true reading of what the cam can do. with the accelerated lift technology they are currently using in profiling the cams, there are differences in the ramps at the .100, .200, and .300 lifts that normal cams do not have. read here 2nd paragrah. http://www.vincihighperformance.com/...RTSPARENT.HTML

hope this helps you some. hopefully VHP phone lines will be back up soon and he can add to what i tried to relay from our conversation about this.
Old 09-28-2004, 02:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

In terms of adding advance (or retard) to a cam, think of it as a tuning tool. Changing cam timing to suit track (or street) conditions can be a very valuable tool that can produce a desired result. Usually, this result is verified by driver input and the stopwatch when on the track, rather than stricktly on a dyno. Of course this is all precluded by the appropriate cam selection to start with. FWIW.

Andy
Old 09-28-2004, 03:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RED2K
I should say I dont like the way it works with my setup. Even with my 2500 stall it still suffered low end tq. I also think this cam peaks too early. I will be selling mine CHEAP very soon
Let me know when you sell it.
Old 09-28-2004, 10:31 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Tiburon
Let me know when you sell it.
Will do sir. I dont think it will be quite enough for the new motor

Quick Reply: comp 216/220?