Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Clean MAF?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 04:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clean MAF?

Hey guys I'm about to go back to school that is 400 miles away and I'm looking to get the best gas mileage as possible? Any suggestions, what is the best and safest way to clean your MAF.
Old 01-14-2006, 04:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Ive been wondering the same thing!

Somebody please respond!! Ive been wondering the same thing! I touched mine accidentally once when i was taking the screen out and the ses light came on. I think its bc i touched it.
Old 01-14-2006, 04:46 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Desert Reaper 5.3
Hey guys I'm about to go back to school that is 400 miles away and I'm looking to get the best gas mileage as possible? Any suggestions, what is the best and safest way to clean your MAF.
I personally have cleaned several MAF's more than once using CRC Electronic Contact Cleaner. Note: Any electronic contact cleaner will due as long as it is residue and OIL FREE! The CRC stuff sprays with pretty good pressure and dries within minutes and its made in my own state.

Originally Posted by virgils4.85spd
Somebody please respond!! Ive been wondering the same thing! I touched mine accidentally once when i was taking the screen out and the ses light came on. I think its bc i touched it.
Many people say never to touch the MAF Screen, i have removed mine and instantly realized why they say that. I had to completely rebuild my VE tables using HPTuners because of the amount of change that occured to the manifold pressure. (Higher pressure than before, so the engine was under the impression that the throttle was open more than it was) Let alone having to rebuild the MAF calibration.

Ok story time is over, chances are your SES light is the MAF Performance problem. Basically the Mass Airflow and Dynamic Airflow readings are now beyond the margin of error that is programmed into the computer. But without grabbing the code this is just speculation.
Old 01-14-2006, 05:15 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When done properly, cleaning the MAF is a nice preventive maintenance item, especially on vehicles with aftermarket oiled air filters. As mentioned above, any good electronics cleaner will suffice as long as it doesn't leave a residue. I usually just spray it down evenly, and let it air dry or give it a little compressed air at a very, very, low setting (barely hissing out of the nozzle).

And I agree 100% to leave the MAF screen alone! You can clean it, but don't damage or remove it!
Old 01-14-2006, 05:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default y not remove screen

Why shouldnt i remove the screen? Ive had it out for a couple of yrs and no probs exc for the ses light. What does it do?
Old 01-14-2006, 07:09 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by virgils4.85spd
What does it do?
Smoothes out the airflow over the sensors to give accurate air flow readings. I use CRC electric cleaner too.
Old 01-14-2006, 08:24 PM
TECH Veteran

You just have to be carfull with it really. I've cleaned mine 4 times now with no issues. I used a brake cleaner twice and contact the other two times.
Make sure it does not leave a residue like stated above. Spray some on something metal, let it dry and see if it leaves anything behind after dying, if so don't use it.
Using compressed air can really F the thing up too, if you do use it make sure the compressor tank is clean (rusty inside the tank) and don't blow it right at the three small wires!! Again like they staed above...low pressure.
Old 01-14-2006, 09:02 PM
TECH Regular

Yes compressed air can be very bad... I destroyed a MAF on my OBS 2000 Denali that way Man i was like, damn this thing runs like **** now lol

Let my mistakes be your fortune
Old 01-15-2006, 12:34 AM
hog
TECH Fanatic

ALL 2001 and up Vettes run the same MAFS the 99+ trucks do, except for the 2002-2003 ZO6 LS6, its still the same 85mm MAFS except the screen was deleted, in the 2004 ZO6 LS6 Vtte, the screen returned.

The screen is s flow straightener, the air intakes on the Vettes are pretty straight to begin with. removing the AMFS screen will impriove flow, but you will need to retune for it.

I have a 2001 85mm Vette MAFS with a screen, I will be installing it in my 1997 Vortec 350, I will be rescalling teh MAFS frequency table using my Tunercat OND2 software.

I will be leaving the screen installed, I have heard that you are supposed to remove the MAFS screen for a dry shot though.

I clean my MAFS screen with GM Brake cleaner as it leaves no residue.

peace
Hog
Old 01-15-2006, 12:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have an extraordinarily stock MAF from an 02 LS1 if anyone needs it.

Quick Reply: Clean MAF?