Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Catch can on a NA setup?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 03:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Catch can on a NA setup?

I drive a 2012 Silverado 5.3. AFM Delete. K&N Intake/full header and y pipe exhaust and a Cam. Would I benefit from a catch can?

Can't seem to find the correct answer to this question. I've seen some threads where guys with 14+ says it's almost a necessity on the newer trucks, and some threads where it looks like it's only beneficial on a boosted application. I've also seen some where it benefits the NNBS if it still has AFM.

For the small price, I certainly wouldn't mind installing one, if it'd help prolong the life of my internals.

Couple questions if it IS worth it.

1. Where would I route it? (I've seen some route it from passenger VC to cc, then cc to intake manifold. And vent the driver side vc to atmosphere through a filter?

2. PCV or non pcv system? I believe the factory, non boosted setup is pcv, correct?

3. Open catch cans vs baffled/split type? I've seen some, like the speed engineering one, that appear to be an open canister style. and some that are split in half on the inside, with some form of material that's designed to promote condensation of oil vapor.

The two that seem to be popular are the Speed Engineering, and the Moroso. I like that the speed engineering has the "view tube" so you can quickly see how full it is.
Old 04-04-2017, 05:39 PM
Slowest turbo build ever!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't tell you how to route it on a 2012, but I can tell you that it's worth it!!! I'm very glad I installed it on my 2000. I drain it every time I change the oil because it catches so much vapor. Wouldn't hurt to do it once in between oil changes too.
Old 04-04-2017, 05:49 PM
Staging Lane

Which route did you go with yours? As for as the can itself.
Old 04-04-2017, 06:40 PM
Teching In

I went with the Moroso can and in about 2 1/2 days of being installed, it trapped 2 ounces of crap. Only thing I did wrong on my first try at routing it was that I should not have vented the oil fill cap.

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...y-head-548500/

Last edited by Whiteboyz71; 04-10-2017 at 11:07 AM.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:15 PM
Slowest turbo build ever!

It was one of these... https://catchcans.com/collections/ca...-pcv-catch-can
They did a group buy on them like, 6 years ago.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:18 PM
On The Tree

Worth it. The LS engines pull a lot of oil through the PCV. I use the moroso unit that bolts to the alternator bracket. Plumb it between the PCV and the intake on my 04 Silvy 5.3. I get about 1 ounce every 1000 miles.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 103 Likes on 74 Posts

How much blow by do you have... there is your answer. I had one on my 2015 6.2 for around 15000 miles and it didn't do **** as opposed to the 10000 miles the truck didn't have one. I still have a pop bottle with what the can caught in that time and although there is oil in there its maybe an eighth of a quart... or less. .. in 15000 miles lol. I had my intake manifold off not long before I sold the truck and yeah it had oil passing through it... intake valves were still great at 25000 miles. The catchcan still allowed oil passed it as well... and this was an Elite E2-X so one of the highest regarded ones. Why was it so ineffective? Because my truck wasn't slobbering gallons of oil through the pcv system because it wasn't being pressurized to death with combustion gases. Lots of engines are... and forced induction makes it worse. .. So I guess whether you "need" it or not is dependent on your engines health. It won't hurt to have one... Whether it does anything useful or not is totally dependent on the engine itself.

Last edited by 1994Vmax; 04-08-2017 at 08:56 AM.
Old 04-08-2017, 10:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mikealicious2k5
I drive a 2012 Silverado 5.3. AFM Delete. K&N Intake/full header and y pipe exhaust and a Cam. Would I benefit from a catch can?

Can't seem to find the correct answer to this question. I've seen some threads where guys with 14+ says it's almost a necessity on the newer trucks, and some threads where it looks like it's only beneficial on a boosted application. I've also seen some where it benefits the NNBS if it still has AFM.

For the small price, I certainly wouldn't mind installing one, if it'd help prolong the life of my internals.

Couple questions if it IS worth it.

1. Where would I route it? (I've seen some route it from passenger VC to cc, then cc to intake manifold. And vent the driver side vc to atmosphere through a filter?

2. PCV or non pcv system? I believe the factory, non boosted setup is pcv, correct?

3. Open catch cans vs baffled/split type? I've seen some, like the speed engineering one, that appear to be an open canister style. and some that are split in half on the inside, with some form of material that's designed to promote condensation of oil vapor.

The two that seem to be popular are the Speed Engineering, and the Moroso. I like that the speed engineering has the "view tube" so you can quickly see how full it is.
Definitely worth it on any LS engine. Small price to ensure proper combustion and improve valve train life IMO.
1. Route drivers side VC to catch can, then catch can to intake manifold. Do not touch the clean side, passenger valve cover, or vent with a filter. It is sufficient the way it is on a N/A setup and a filter will introduce unmetered air into the crankcase.
2. Yes, these engines have a PCV system to allow crankcase ventilation from pressure of blowby gases. I'm not sure what a non PCV is?
3. Open catch cans are essentially pointless. Catch cans work by using a baffle to separate clean/dirty side and the stainless steel filter material allows condensation of cooling oil vapors to drain to the bottom of the can.
This is my understanding through lots of reading, experts can feel free to correct me.
Old 04-10-2017, 09:34 AM
Avery@texas-speed.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With everyone else here. Definitely worth it! A buddy of mine installed the Moroso set up and even with less than 100 miles since he install there is about half of a teaspoon collected up