Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam/heads w/ supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2003, 07:29 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam/heads w/ supercharger

IF you put a mild cam and get stage 1 headwork w/ stock heads on a 5.3 or 6.0, could it be used w/ a whipple, kenne bell, or Radix with proper tuning without any problem?
Old 07-31-2003, 08:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Cam/heads w/ supercharger

for sure Look in my signature (i have the same cam you do only at .500 lift, yours will do better than mine if you boost with its .530 lift) Also, to let you know, our cams are not the most boost friendly as the 113lsa is a little too overlapping and may leak a small amount of boost out the exhaust valve before it has a chance to close at higher rpms. I did not think I would be supercharging when I chose this specific cam. However, I bet it is still giving more hp than the stock cam would have when adding on a blower.

Head work is a bigger plus when SC. It allows more airflow per cylinder fill. This means that the boosted air will not stay in the intake manifold as long, so it will not heat up as much. (when you pressurize air it heats up...less pressure because you are flowing more=less heat, less chance of detonation)---> run even more boost safely

With my cam and my Whipple I noticed it hunted two or three times for idle on initial startup. This was cured with LS1edit in the IAC and VE (volumetric efficiency) tables.

PS. I know I still don't have SC pictures up in my sig, but give me a week or two. Trust me you Whipple guys are going to love it
Old 07-31-2003, 08:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

yeah, I've got the ls-6 cam and heads on my 5.3L w/ the Radix. I also have ls1-edit and have done some tuning. I stumbled on initial start up and I raisded the idle slightly 75rpm so it doesn't hunt. As of tomorrow the burb is no longer a daily drive so I thinkin' 6.0 and CNC'ed ls-6 heads this winter.
Old 07-31-2003, 11:01 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i hear alot of mixed oponions on heads with blowers, most agree that the right cam will definately help but heads are another story.

ALOT of the guys in the FI section say there are better places to spend your money than heads. there are several that have before and after dyno numbers to show that they gained 0 hp but you are right, you can run at a lower boost and probably see less detonation problems.

another oponion is you will see exponential gains when you combine the 2(heads and boost) but no hard numbers to prove this.

i guess i am saying don't count on 100hp with a set of heads but who knows, could happen.
Old 08-01-2003, 12:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Parish .. what would you suggest then? More cubes? Soemthing else?
Old 08-01-2003, 04:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Parish is partially right the gains with a blower and heads tied together because a blower has a fixed displacement per revolution so the foced airflow is constant. ported heads allow you to make this flow with less backpressure IE: less boost pressure which in turn is less heat introduced to the intake. the key to ported heads and a blower is you can run a smaller pulley to make the same boost as stock but make more HP.
Old 08-01-2003, 05:42 AM
11 Second Club

the key to a blower cam is more exhaust duration and low lift on both sides to keep cyl pressure up. also, you want something on a 114lsa or even 116lsa.

i was going to do a d-1 on my trans am, and did alot of research on this. as far as doing it on a truck, i would think the same would apply, just probably dont want to go too radical on heads, cam or blower.

Trending Topics

Old 08-01-2003, 10:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

When I talked to Comp Cams about getting a cam put in my truck, I was told something on a 114lsa. I don't rememebr the rest of the specs though. I do know the exhaust duration was more than the intake.

I think I will continue with my plan on doing a set of heads and cam for my truck. I would like to build a nice 6.0 strocker bored out .030. I was thinking something like a 421 or something.