Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Buying 6.0 with a spun main bearing**PICS INCLUDED**

Old 10-13-2017, 06:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cam bearing sizes i couldn't tell you if theres a differences or not when i tore down I checked journal size in the book for my year engine and measured and my cam journals all mic'd in tolerance (We've had a couple LS's come though our shop where the second or third cam bearing have spun or pulled out of the journal when taking the cam out, so far none have damaged the block. So i have no idea if the cam bearings where undersized from factory or what.) I dont know if you could actual hone the cam journals or not, if so a larger O.D. bearing would be needed. As for line boring and honing the main journals, its the same as resizing old school rods (I only say old school because almost everything seems to be cracked cap anymore). You cut a couple thousandths off the cap, re-install torque down then bore and hone to original size.
Old 10-13-2017, 06:59 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 758 Likes on 627 Posts

Originally Posted by Tig
I'll have to double check to see the extent of the damage.
Honing and line boring. Maybe I was misinformed but, don't LS' have three different size cam journals? After line boring and honing would the appropriate sized bearing then be installed? Sorry, new to this engine machining stuff.
Yes the cam bearings are different sizes on the LS engines. So no, you could not hone it. If they damage the block, it's junk.

As far a Line honing the mains, It can be done but the more you remove the higher the crank sits. It can affect the timing chain length. however they do make shorter chains for this issue.

If the caps do not fit tight in the block, it will not hone out good. No two 2 caps from different blocks will fit the same. The only way to correct is to Line bore the cap and then hone to final size. A line bore alone will exceed the cost of starting with a good block.

I went through this about a year ago on a block that burned up in a fire. Fortunately the machinist tried to correct the cap and damaged it. I asked him why he didn't contact me first. I paid the bill with the owner and made a deal with the machinist. I brought the block and another cap I had from another motor and and he fixed it on his time when the owner was gone to make it right.
He had to skim cut the cap, then line bore the cap to center it to My block.

Had I needed to pay for that type of work, I was told it would be $400

I considered putting Billet mains on until I found out the cost of the machine work. It would be easier and money better spent to buy an LSX block at that point.
Old 10-14-2017, 01:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would go for it! Just put some arp main studs and have it line honed!
Old 10-14-2017, 08:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
I wouldn't go more than $150.

And with out seeing the block side it hard to tell of it will clean up.

Is the cap loose and easy to pull out? If so the cap is no good... the cost to fix will be more than buying a good engine
These are pics the guy sent me, I never even seen the engine in person yet..
Old 10-15-2017, 08:13 AM
Tig
TECH Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
Yes the cam bearings are different sizes on the LS engines. So no, you could not hone it. If they damage the block, it's junk.
Sorry, my question was specific for cam bearing info.
Thank you, that's exactly what I was looking for.

Search this Thread