Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Big Problem, Help Please!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 12:26 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The injector thing I dont think is the problem with a wet shot you are supplying ALL the fuel you need for the nitrous being sprayed in so thats out the window. A SES code can be in the system just not throw a light. You need to check with HPT or go by an autoparts store to get the truck scanned. I honestly dont think its an injector cause that would have thrown a code immediately. If the trans isnt slipping and you know it isnt in LIMP mode then only things I can think of a vacuum hose came loose, one of the connectors on the CAI came loose, dbw motor messed up, the sensor on teh back of the intake on the top came loose, or check the plasitc tube that comes down the d-side of the intake over the top and goes in on the top p-side of the intake behind the tb maybe it came out. I really dont know man just trying to think of vac related thigns that could cause that condition if it isnt in teh trans.
Old 02-08-2006, 12:46 PM
Cuz I AM a BADMOFO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would check to see if the throttle body is opening up completely. Mine did the same thing when running a 175 dry shot, but it was due to the Mass Air Meter freezing up, as I still had the screen in it and the nozzle was too close. I'd pull the plugs and look for a burnt electrode. How high did you "rev" the motor?....What is your rev limiter raised to? I'm thinking that checking the plugs will give you the answer. I hate to say it, but check number 7 first.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:26 PM
TECH Junkie

I believe he already checked plugs and did a compression test. All checked out good.
He definately needs to get that thing on a scanner to see whats wrong.
I'm still thinking on the side of the throttle blade not functioning like it should be. A good scanner or HPT will give an answer on that, showing the percentile that the throttle blade is opening at certain rpms.
The cat being the problem is a good one too. A way to check that could be reading all 02 bank readings to see if the front of the cone of the cat possibly broke off.
If a few lifters went flat on him, that could deminish power as well, but wouldn't it cause some backfiring?
Keep us updated on what you find out, as I really want to know what failed.

Jim
Old 02-08-2006, 07:03 PM
FormerVendor

I pulled the intake tonight when I got home from work so I could see the lifters and it looks like I have some collapsed lifters. Bad lifters would cause a big loss in power wouldn't it?
Old 02-08-2006, 07:12 PM
TECH Resident

You would have to pull a head to see the lifters.
Old 02-08-2006, 07:46 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by mattrem
You would have to pull a head to see the lifters.
If you take off the cover on top of the motor where the knock sensors are located, there are a couple of open places in the block where you can see the cam and part of the lifters, like maybe 3 or 4 lobes of the cam.
Old 02-08-2006, 08:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

How do you get collapsed lifters. They are all hydraulic these days right? I'm just trying to understand what pysically happens to the lifter.
Old 02-08-2006, 08:25 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How can you tell they are collapsed while they are still in the truck from a visual inspection?
Old 02-08-2006, 09:13 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
How can you tell they are collapsed while they are still in the truck from a visual inspection?
Well if i take off a rocker arm and push down on a pushrod i don't feel any of the lifter preload..

Last edited by KLUG'S SS; 02-08-2006 at 10:30 PM.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:09 PM
TECH Addict

It sounds like what happend to me in my Z28 when the cats collapsed and clogged up. Happened all at once and it made a weird sound like what you describe.

Quick Reply: Big Problem, Help Please!!!!!!