Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best way to Tune my truck

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 12:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to Tune my truck

I made a post in the tuning forum but no one answered as there hardly seems to be any traffic. So I installed new LPP LT's, truck needs a tune badly. Problem is, I don't know much about tuning, so what is the best way to tune my truck? I'm willing to learn everything there is to know about tuning, so would buying a program or a handheld be the best way to do this?

Like HP tuners or EFIlive

OR would these programs give mild results? Would bringing it to a pro be better?

If possible, I'd like the program myself as I'd like to be able to play around with tuning and learn. Othe prob is that pro tuners around my area have very long wait times, and are far away and don't seem to be the nicest looking shops. I've always trusted myself more that others on my vehicles.

So can using a computer program be as effective as going to a shop?
Old 06-22-2009, 12:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Program! If you don't want to tune it yourself there are quite a few sponsors to the right >>
Old 06-22-2009, 12:39 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

I pretty much guarantee you any shop you go to for a gen3+ will be using efilive or hptuners anyway, so may as well learn yourself. I bought it last summer and its not hard to pick up the basics if you understand how an engine works and what all the acronyms mean. I have hptuners, but either hpt or efilive will work just as well. It does have a learning curve though, so dont get fustrated right off because you dont understand what all the tables do. If you dont know what it does, dont touch it.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:00 PM
On The Tree

WICKED!! Just the responses I was looking for!! Well, one thing not to worry about, I learn very quickly, effectively and have lots of patience/time. So... learning HOW is not a problem. Reading through forums and studying is how I learned everything about rebuilding old cars and trucks so far.

So these two programs are actually used by pros? That is music to my ears.

Guess my next step is to look up the features of each. But man are the price tags on these SCARY. But so are the prices to have my trucked tuned out here. 300$. Any way to get a better prices on these 650$ programs?
Old 06-22-2009, 01:31 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

I went with hptuners which was around 500 for the non-pro version. They are expensive, but its a one time cost and you can always hire yourself out to tune others if you want.

Justin (blackbear) uses efilive, and I believe wheatley uses hptuners, so yes, its what the pros use. But keep in mind just because you have the same tools, it doesnt gurantee the same results. Tuning is almost an artform, which comes after alot of practice and understanding.

The sponsors may be able to get you a better price on whatever you decide.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

also unless he changed it, if you purchase efilive from justin he will include a base tune and help you fine tune it. that cant be beat!
blackbear performance ftw!!!