Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Best Brand of Electric Cut-out?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 09:51 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i sent mine back more than once to be fixed, then put it back on the truck and within a week it was leaking again. it sounds like an exhaust leak. the flaper doesn't close all the way or it does close and then backs off once you take your finger off the button. sometimes i can bump the button and get lucky and it will only leak a little.

my truck isn't exactly quiet and there isn't a lot of exhaust after that valve and i still hear it leaking.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:59 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont mess with McCord Either they stick open all the time!!!!
Old 10-11-2005, 10:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Ive heard of motors falling off the QTP's. My friends operates only when it wants too. It will open....... Then never close. Then out of the blue it starts working again. Hes had it sent in on several occasions. Same thing happens. Id go with the DMH. Ive looked a bit and havent seen anybody that hated the DMH.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:20 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Im definately getting the DMH it looks to be a good quality piece just wish they offered teh cutout in ss cause the flowtechs that I have now look like **** after being on for 8 months they are all rusty. Ithink I ll get the part of the pipe that the cut out goes on ceramic coated when I get my y-pipe and headers coated.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should talk to Phil at FLP, they have a electric cutout sitting on their desk. Its custom made by a guy (don't remember who) that they can order from. Its not the typical throttle blade style, it has a slide gate that when it closes it seals all the way. Basically its a plate that is larger than the exhaust tube that slides across the exhaust pipe by an electic motor and gears.
The only down side to it, is that its a little larger than other cutouts and I believe more $$$.
Old 10-12-2005, 06:56 AM
TECH Addict

the guy that does my exhaust work sprays some kind of silver paint on the pipes when he does it and they look good all the time to me.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:53 AM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Silver paint is good. My muffler shop does this as well. Keeps the welds from rusting. So they said.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:04 PM
12 Second Club

My DMH worked fine for probably 2 years, but now its tricky to get it to close without leaking. If I open/close it just a little repeatedly, and the exhaust heats up, it will usually close. But just one open/close and you will hear the leak. Maybe it just needs some cleaning...
Old 10-12-2005, 01:43 PM
On The Tree

Local exhuast guys says that the has tried them all and these are the best.http://www.dougsheaders.com/online_s...ail.cfm?id=217

But for the price they should be...something like $500 a piece. He seems to think the next best are the dmh. Just ordered some so I hope so.
Old 10-12-2005, 03:34 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Lone Chev
Local exhuast guys says that the has tried them all and these are the best.http://www.dougsheaders.com/online_s...ail.cfm?id=217

But for the price they should be...something like $500 a piece. He seems to think the next best are the dmh. Just ordered some so I hope so.
Holy ****, that is exactly the one I was talking about before that I saw at FLP. But I believe Phil said they can get them for about half that if I recall. I looked all over and couldn't find a pic of it. Cool

Quick Reply: Best Brand of Electric Cut-out?