PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   GM Engine & Exhaust Performance (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-engine-exhaust-performance-21/)
-   -   Backfiring after cam install!!!!!please help!!!! (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-engine-exhaust-performance-21/backfiring-after-cam-install-please-help-436370/)

Silvy6.0 03-05-2009 07:10 PM

He just came and put a tune in and made sure it started. Last night it was really bad when I took it out. Like it would almost stay up if I rev'd it up. That just doesn't seem normal to me. Does anyone know if I can just have someone one here like Wheatley or another person that uses HPTuner since I already paid for the license? I really need this done ASAP.

MikeGyver 03-05-2009 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by 4.8T
your base runing idle airflow is set too high. it will cause it to act like cruise control.

So that means the tuner adjusted it, doesn't it? I ask because mine was so opposite the way it first ran.

Silvy6.0 03-05-2009 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by 4.8T (Post 4147569)
your base runing idle airflow is set too high. it will cause it to act like cruise control. or a vacuum leak, did you get the valve cover lines all hooked up?

Yes sir. I was wishing it was that easy. But again, my luck!:bang:

Silvy6.0 03-05-2009 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by MikeGyver (Post 4147574)
So that means the tuner adjusted it, doesn't it? I ask because mine was so opposite the way it first ran.

Yes. He came down today and said that he fixed it. He said that is has a valvetrain problem because of the backfiring. He said for me to fix it and then hollar at him.

sonoma43 03-05-2009 07:24 PM

pull the valve covers and make sure everything is good and then if it is, call a real tuner like Charlie and have him hook it up!

dlt76028 03-05-2009 07:33 PM

when mine was driving like shit and backfiring my fuel pump was bad. i also changed my o2's and that helped.

TURBHOE 03-05-2009 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by MikeGyver (Post 4147574)

yeah that's in the tune. that's the first thing i adjust just to get a truck running after a cam swap. after that I'll go in and start making adjustments to "correct" the issue instead of masking the problem of bad idle. sometimes its hard to get it just right though.

TURBHOE 03-05-2009 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Jtbrewer19 (Post 4147573)
He just came and put a tune in and made sure it started. Last night it was really bad when I took it out. Like it would almost stay up if I rev'd it up. That just doesn't seem normal to me. Does anyone know if I can just have someone one here like Wheatley or another person that uses HPTuner since I already paid for the license? I really need this done ASAP.

if you have the tune you can email it to me and i can look at it. but the license stays with his Hptuners serial number. for someone else with Hptuners to tune it they will have to license your truck also.

hirdlej 03-05-2009 07:58 PM

You're off a tooth, classic symptom

KySilverado 03-05-2009 08:42 PM

I'm with ^^^^. Missed the cam to crank timing, possible valve to tight, but hard to do with the non adjustable rockers, plug wire or plug failing under load. It could be going lean but running okay before cam swap... so look at the things touched during that.