Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Attention those with elec fans with Flex VSC and WIRING!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2004, 08:59 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just don't understand all the problems that are being had with the VSC. Mine has worked flawlessly for a LONG time now. Maybe I just got lucky I did solder and wrap all the connections though so there wouldn't be any chance of shorting out or intermittent contacts. Also, I kept it simple and didn't worry about hooking up the A/C wire or the manual override. Mine only run off the thermostat control.

Someone mentioned a while back that not hooking up the A/C wire might cause the pressure to rise in the A/C system if it gets too hot but, I think the pressure sensor will shut the A/C down if the pressure rises too much which has never happened to me yet??
Old 06-23-2004, 09:23 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by XLR8NSS
I just don't understand all the problems that are being had with the VSC. Mine has worked flawlessly for a LONG time now. Maybe I just got lucky I did solder and wrap all the connections though so there wouldn't be any chance of shorting out or intermittent contacts. Also, I kept it simple and didn't worry about hooking up the A/C wire or the manual override. Mine only run off the thermostat control.

Someone mentioned a while back that not hooking up the A/C wire might cause the pressure to rise in the A/C system if it gets too hot but, I think the pressure sensor will shut the A/C down if the pressure rises too much which has never happened to me yet??
mine has also worked flawlessly
I have the 40A VSC, and like I said Im only drawing 7 peak load amps on it
Old 06-23-2004, 09:30 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Originally Posted by 01 Thunder
mine has also worked flawlessly
I have the 40A VSC, and like I said Im only drawing 7 peak load amps on it
I'll have to check mine out with a probe to see what they draw. 7 amps is not much at all, that works out to a little more than .1hp of electrical draw. That doesn't even sound right though considering the air those fans move. I have to check mine tomorrow, now I'm curious.

Maybe it's not a problem with the VSC but, a problem with the electric motors in some of the fans causing the VSC/fuses/wiring to melt??? Whatcha guys think about that scenario?
Old 06-23-2004, 09:39 PM
12 Second Club

well I wonder if having LS1 fans has anything to do with it?
I dont have the Flexi-lite fans
I will double check my readings, but I do know that it wasnt pulling much, even when they turned on. now v8's fans where pulling a crap load of current when they turned on, it hit like 58a, and then fell down to like 32a, and that was with the VSC, and the flexi-lites.......... dunno?
Old 06-23-2004, 09:52 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Damn, I forgot you had the LS1 fans.

Those figures for the fals sound more realistic. They pump out some air, gotta be drawing some current. I'll check mine tomorrow and check the LS1 fans on my Camaro to see what they draw.

Does anyone know what CFM the LS1 fans are rated for? I think it's like 3300 but, don't know for sure.
Old 06-23-2004, 10:06 PM
TECH Addict

I also soldered all of my connections, for what it's worth.

My fans are wired in parallel.

A/C wire hooked up.
Old 06-23-2004, 11:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Man, I'd get some pics if I had a digi cam.

I just used an 8awg holder and 10awg wiring.
Old 06-24-2004, 07:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

It can also very much have something to do with the location of the fuse holder where as some people will locate there fuse holders away from the fans(closer to the + connection). And some people place the fuse holder close to the fan! I think the problem with it being too clse to the fans is that when they turn on the air doesnt quite make it to the holders but when the holder is closer to the + terminal maybe it gets cooled down from the air the fans blow??!!
Old 06-24-2004, 08:10 AM
TECH Addict

Some more $.02 from me.

Mine's located on the back-side of the fuse-box... facing the firewall.
Old 06-24-2004, 09:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Mine did the same thing. It seems like the fans have a mind of their own at times (sometimes they work and sometimes they don't). I need to get under the hood and go over the wiring. They should have used thicker wires for the sending unit. Those few strands can be a pain to work with.
I think I found the problem with mine last night. It was the fuse. It was broke inside but not in the center. This happened off to the side where it couldn't be seen. The metal would make contact once in awhile to complete the circuit. This probably happened when I tried to get it out of the melted holder a few months ago. I have mine right next to the fuse box.

2002 8.1 Silverado HD - Full Throttle lift, 37" tires, Comp Cam, TOG headers, Volant induction plus more!
2002 8.1 Suburban -Intercooled Whipple supercharger, 22" wheels/tires + more - 407hp/558 ft-lb torque at the rear wheels - 13.93 @ 95.79 MPH

Quick Reply: Attention those with elec fans with Flex VSC and WIRING!!!