Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

ATI or RADIX

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2004, 09:21 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by F8LPONY
I guess I should have said with a stall converter the power drop would,nt be an issue.

But like I said before. If money is no object the go Radix all the way. For us cheap bastards the ATI looks good.
Yeah, the stock stall with an ATI will make you sick! A big stall really levels the playing field. My TT3000 wasn't even enough. The SS3800 made it feel like a whole different truck!
Old 03-14-2004, 09:25 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by StupidFast
Just buy the Radix and by happy. I had an ATI and loved it. It made huge power and was perfect for me.
However, that being said. I f*cked with the tuning every week, changed pullies 5 times, had 4.10s, and a decent stall. I only lost one race with it and that was to a single turbo Supra. The Supra was before the 15lb pulley .
Radix is perfect for 99% of people, totally streetable.
For all out power the ATI will win, with proper tuning.

You're right, a whole lot of tuning has to be done with the ATI. I feel like I'm going to wear out the truck just tuning, never get to enjoy it lately.
Old 03-14-2004, 11:36 PM
On The Tree

did you not have a professional tune or was it just that it needed to be constantly re-adjusting, and how i drive my truck is like this... i drive totally normally thru streets and such until someone wants to run, or im sitting at a light and i think some ******** will cut me off so i mash the gas, i dont like rush around town and stuff, i onl hit it when i need too...

that bieng said, putting in a TC probably wouldnt be a problem, but i dont want to change the driveability of the car much, and im having new clutches and servos and some other stuff put into the tranny so i could probably put in a tc.... i like tinkering with my cars but i dont know that i would want to dick with it every weekend.... but im also worried that the radix is going to be too hard on the stock tranny and rear if i get on it too much
Old 03-14-2004, 11:43 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Any amount of HP will be hard on the stock trans.....There are bolt on trucks breaking the trans! you have to remember, the life of your trans depends on your maint / driving habits! Trust me, I know!
Old 03-15-2004, 12:24 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by BlownChevy
Any amount of HP will be hard on the stock trans.....There are bolt on trucks breaking the trans! you have to remember, the life of your trans depends on your maint / driving habits! Trust me, I know!
What he said!
Old 03-15-2004, 12:37 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Texan4Life
did you not have a professional tune or was it just that it needed to be constantly re-adjusting, and how i drive my truck is like this... i drive totally normally thru streets and such until someone wants to run, or im sitting at a light and i think some ******** will cut me off so i mash the gas, i dont like rush around town and stuff, i onl hit it when i need too...

that bieng said, putting in a TC probably wouldnt be a problem, but i dont want to change the driveability of the car much, and im having new clutches and servos and some other stuff put into the tranny so i could probably put in a tc.... i like tinkering with my cars but i dont know that i would want to dick with it every weekend.... but im also worried that the radix is going to be too hard on the stock tranny and rear if i get on it too much
No professional tune. I guess the reason I'm having to mess with it all the time is that tuning it myself is kind of trial and error.

I think with the stall, a 3000 is very driveable, but IMO, not quite enough for the ATI. My 3800 is alot less driveable than the 3000, but tolerable since its not a daily driver.
Old 03-15-2004, 01:39 AM
On The Tree

well this would be a daily driven truck, and i would have it professionally tuned....

and for the tranny issue, i mentioned im not that crazy when i drive, but i like to nail it once in awhile, i mean who doesnt, i have a speed bike if i want to go really crazy, and i always change fluids well before reccomended time... and id have a really good trans cooler cuz it gets hot down here in tejas...

either way, i still cant decide which way to go, i know the ati wont be as fast out of the hole, and will be much faster on the topend, and i know that the radix will be a beast out of the hole, but hard on the trans... anyone else have anymore opinions or suggestions?

I was also thinking, whats the deal with turbos for our trucks?
Old 03-15-2004, 08:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have priced out both the ATI and Radix and can tell ya they get REAL close in total cost when you factor in injectors, new intake piping, tuning, and converter for the ATI. Just remember, blow blowers will kill the tranny in a matter of time so you might as well figure the cost of a built tranny into it either way. I would see if you can ride in a Radix truck and ATI truck to see which you like best. Then when you are seriously shopping, give our board sponsers a call. They kick *** and so do their prices!

Oh yeah, and a turbo would be worse on the tranny than a supercharged one because of the torque they produce.
Old 03-15-2004, 09:22 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Seeing Red Again
I have priced out both the ATI and Radix and can tell ya they get REAL close in total cost when you factor in injectors, new intake piping, tuning, and converter for the ATI. Just remember, blow blowers will kill the tranny in a matter of time so you might as well figure the cost of a built tranny into it either way. I would see if you can ride in a Radix truck and ATI truck to see which you like best. Then when you are seriously shopping, give our board sponsers a call. They kick *** and so do their prices!

Oh yeah, and a turbo would be worse on the tranny than a supercharged one because of the torque they produce.
Thats probably the best advice...see if you can ride in both, and see which you like best.
Old 03-15-2004, 11:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've done a little reading up on this topic too. IMO, for a near stock intenal motor, the RADIX is probably the best bet. The only reason I'm looking at the ATI is that it can move more air in a big bore and stroke situation. Please correct me if I'm wrong here. Hopefully I won't have to think about this once I'm ready though. Maybe the Turbos will be available by the time I get around to boring and stroking my 6.0l. Maybe...

Quick Reply: ATI or RADIX