Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Anyone rebuilt a 5.3?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2005, 12:13 PM
Truck addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy Grabert
Well if all he is running with 6.0 he needs to go back to the books and do some more figureing cause I have a 5.3 and as of right now my best is 12.59 all motor,cam and all bolt ons no head work. so how do figure 5.3 suck. This coming winter I am trying to be the first 5.3 all motor to hit 11.99.
randy, you have to consider tuning and how high the shifts are set at for et reduction. we all know a mail order tune isn't gonna yeild the numbers you can get off a dyno. let alone, tuning at the track for some gains. i also think most mail order tunes are off the shelf so to speak with a few adjustments here and there. the truck is being shifted pretty low (6200 or 6300). hell, i am shifting my truck a few hundred rpms lower than that. so don't let the 12.50 fool you. i think he could drop a few tenths if he would raise that shift point to at least 6500/6600. i know you shift way up there. so we know it will hold it. what are the et diffs between you shifting at 6200 vice 6700 or 6800 rpms. i will say at least a few tenths.

now on to 5.3's sucking. i disagree wholeheartedly on that one. it may end up being cheaper to find a used 6.0 rather than build a 5.3L but i am impressed with 5.3's in bigkids truck and randy's truck and the others that are ******* the **** out of s/c or turbo trucks.....via n/a or with nitrous..
Old 03-25-2005, 12:36 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll take a stab at answering your original question, since everybody else got off track. First, as far as I know nobody makes an "overhaul" kit for these motors-you have to buy everything separate which kinda sux. Now, understanding that you are wanting the best bang for the buck....if you have a 5.3 that just needs a piston and is otherwise good, I say find a used piston on here or e-bay and put it together with a cam and a set of LS1 heads (have them milled a little for compression) and you will have a good running setup.

If your block needs to be bored, you could get a set of used LS1 pistons and have the block bored to match them then do the LS1 heads and you would have an iron LS1-way, way better than what you have now.

If your crank needs to be turned and you have to buy new pistons etc then you are getting back to the point where a 6 liter is the best bet. It basically depends on what all your core motor needs. Yes it is easy to drop $1500 and get a salvage yard 6 liter but if you have some usable parts already I think you could reach your goals with only a few hundred invested.
Old 03-25-2005, 01:08 PM
Truck addict

good point L-eater. we did get off track.
Old 03-25-2005, 05:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 4.8PWR
I know most people go with the 6.0 once their motor goes. I'm just curious how much it would cost to rebuild a 5.3. I've got one that has a messed up piston but would probably be a good candidate for a rebuild, although it's not totally torn apart yet, so who knows. I think a 5.3 could meet my goals with a cam and converter. I'm just shooting for 13's on motor, no Nitrous.

Anyone make a rebuild kit for these things?

Would also have shorty's (already got), LS1 Edit for tune (already got), K&N FIPK (already got), if I went that route.

I want a decently quick daily driver.
Riley, you might be interested in there. I had though about them when I still had the old 4.8L, but I ended up selling it. Could be a good way to start for a nice future setup.
http://speed-eng.com/store/product_i...oducts_id=3494
Old 03-25-2005, 06:48 PM
On The Tree

Default 5.3l

If My 5.3L blew up I would just rebuild it and leave it a 5.3L because 5.3s get better gas mileage and are very close to a 6.0 for power. Personaly I like the 5.3L better than a 6.0L. Over all 5.3s are a engine that are capeible of getting 300,000+ miles on them and have little problems.
Old 03-25-2005, 08:13 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not talking **** we have x-cabs 6.0 went 12.64 @ 108 mph with a 60'f 1.74 no boost no juice.Drives it hour to work everyday.Wed. a reg cab went to gulf port and it is still tune for 5.3 with 3.37 gears shifting @ 6000 ran a 12.74 with a 60' of 1.85 @ 105.98 mph he had 3 mph more than the x-cab in the 1/8 mile it was either 87 or 88 mph.I am just saying that a 6.0 should be in the 11 in the winter months with no problem.If the combo is right. Not a problem I will let you know when I go to Hattieburg not the next 2 week ends I will make plans to go the weekend after.
Old 03-25-2005, 08:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Randy Grabert
Not talking **** we have x-cabs 6.0 went 12.64 @ 108 mph with a 60'f 1.74 no boost no juice.Drives it hour to work everyday.Wed. a reg cab went to gulf port and it is still tune for 5.3 with 3.37 gears shifting @ 6000 ran a 12.74 with a 60' of 1.85 @ 105.98 mph he had 3 mph more than the x-cab in the 1/8 mile it was either 87 or 88 mph.I am just saying that a 6.0 should be in the 11 in the winter months with no problem.If the combo is right. Not a problem I will let you know when I go to Hattieburg not the next 2 week ends I will make plans to go the weekend after.
Well, I guess the fastest trucks in the U.S must all be in the same location. I mean,if there are extended cabs running faster than my single cab and shifting at only 6000rpms, then mine must really suck. I wish you guys would make a trip up here and teach us slow guys how to make our trucks run. I haven't seen any of these trucks, so its just speculation in my eyes. Seeing is believing, but if it was that easy...why isn't everybody doing it? This question also includes all of the 5.3L guys that obviously should be hitting low 12s on motor that aren't. I'm happy with my setup, and can't afford to be pulling and replacing motors because I was too lazy to build a low end to rev up to 7000+rpms. Mine has to get me to work, to the grocery store, then to and from the track on the weekend.
I need some vids to even remotely believe some of that above. A regular cab with a 6.0L with no tuning and 3.37 gears running 12.7 is just a tad bit hard to believe...even for me.
Old 03-25-2005, 09:42 PM
Truck addict

randy, i am planning on going to hburg this friday night. well, next friday to be exact. i put the invite out there to 12sec5.3. i was hoping to go tonight but my plans fell through. if you can make it let me know. jeremy, you need to take half of friday off and saturday as well. you can go make it up on sunday. i'll donate a place to stay. i'll even throw some stuff on the grill.
Old 03-25-2005, 09:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slowprocess
Well, I guess the fastest trucks in the U.S must all be in the same location. I mean,if there are extended cabs running faster than my single cab and shifting at only 6000rpms, then mine must really suck. I wish you guys would make a trip up here and teach us slow guys how to make our trucks run. I haven't seen any of these trucks, so its just speculation in my eyes. Seeing is believing, but if it was that easy...why isn't everybody doing it? This question also includes all of the 5.3L guys that obviously should be hitting low 12s on motor that aren't. I'm happy with my setup, and can't afford to be pulling and replacing motors because I was too lazy to build a low end to rev up to 7000+rpms. Mine has to get me to work, to the grocery store, then to and from the track on the weekend.
I need some vids to even remotely believe some of that above. A regular cab with a 6.0L with no tuning and 3.37 gears running 12.7 is just a tad bit hard to believe...even for me.
I have seen these trucks at NO PROBLEM RACEWAY and they do run 12's believe or not.
Old 03-25-2005, 10:45 PM
TECH Resident

what do the lq9 run at the wheels???

Quick Reply: Anyone rebuilt a 5.3?