Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody using a valve cover "Breather"?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 08:41 PM
Cuz I AM a BADMOFO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need a breather like I need another hole in my head.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys kill me.

So Im gonna play devils advocate and ask retorical questions for everyones own edification.

1)Who can tell us why the crank case needs ventilation?

If you can answer this question you know why you dont need a line running from the crank case into the intake?

2) which goverment industry mandates bullshit like this and other emmisions regulations like catalytic converters and 14.7 afr closed loop fuel injection, why?

3) Did the internal combustion engines always have a pcv setup?
4) How many nascars/race cars run a pcv system?
5) what happens if I just plug the crank case and dont let it breath?
6) what happens if I unplug it and leave it open?
7) why do our current pcv systems consume oil?

Lets make this the end all be all pcv thread and post this bitch at the top along with the flowmaster threads.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:29 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the crank case has to vent becouse of airation created by the rotating assembly exspecialy in high reving engs. i've read where a vacuum in the crank case will increase hp and help with ring seal. but they also make vacuum pump just for this reason. i'm sure its a emmision bull **** reason why we have to have it go to the intake to be burn up instead of going into the air. if you plug it the eng will smoke like a mother and run like *** i've seen it my friend did it i told him to block off unused vacuum line when we installed his turbo and he did, well i didn't know that he pluged the pcv one off too so he gets out and hammers it and it takes off ok but didn't pull like we thought it should and it was smoking like no other like he just blew the motor we went back to look at everything and i notice the pcv was blocked off so after calling him a few names lol i unpluged it and it sounded like the eng took a deep breathe and we took it out again and it ran twice as good and didn't smoke a drop. thats all i can answer i don't do nascar i go striaght.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:36 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wouldnt the breather need to go on the d-side?
Old 02-16-2006, 03:53 PM
TECH Junkie

My 10 dollar solution, 100% cure for the oil consumption problem.
An added benefit is that by capping the vacumm lie into the intake it drives better and leaves more vacumm for the accessories which is nice with a cam that doesnt create alot of vacumm.
Attached Thumbnails Anybody using a valve cover "Breather"?-pvc.jpg  
Old 02-16-2006, 05:03 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 02sierraz71_5.3
My 10 dollar solution, 100% cure for the oil consumption problem.
An added benefit is that by capping the vacumm lie into the intake it drives better and leaves more vacumm for the accessories which is nice with a cam that doesnt create alot of vacumm.

Where did you get that filter from? I like that idea. I am going to put the LS6 cover on when the FAST goes on, but I like this idea better.
Old 02-16-2006, 05:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02sierraz71_5.3
You guys kill me.

So Im gonna play devils advocate and ask retorical questions for everyones own edification.

1)Who can tell us why the crank case needs ventilation?

If you can answer this question you know why you dont need a line running from the crank case into the intake?

2) which goverment industry mandates bullshit like this and other emmisions regulations like catalytic converters and 14.7 afr closed loop fuel injection, why?

3) Did the internal combustion engines always have a pcv setup?
4) How many nascars/race cars run a pcv system?
5) what happens if I just plug the crank case and dont let it breath?
6) what happens if I unplug it and leave it open?
7) why do our current pcv systems consume oil?

Lets make this the end all be all pcv thread and post this bitch at the top along with the flowmaster threads.
This is why I signed up to this site and all the others sites I am a member of. Some of us don't know why and would like answers and some of the answers we get are not clear enough for all of us to understaind. Sorry, some of us don't know everything!

Originally Posted by 4.8T
the crank case has to vent becouse of airation created by the rotating assembly exspecialy in high reving engs. i've read where a vacuum in the crank case will increase hp and help with ring seal. but they also make vacuum pump just for this reason. i'm sure its a emmision bull **** reason why we have to have it go to the intake to be burn up instead of going into the air. if you plug it the eng will smoke like a mother and run like *** i've seen it my friend did it i told him to block off unused vacuum line when we installed his turbo and he did, well i didn't know that he pluged the pcv one off too so he gets out and hammers it and it takes off ok but didn't pull like we thought it should and it was smoking like no other like he just blew the motor we went back to look at everything and i notice the pcv was blocked off so after calling him a few names lol i unpluged it and it sounded like the eng took a deep breathe and we took it out again and it ran twice as good and didn't smoke a drop. thats all i can answer i don't do nascar i go striaght.
Thanks!

let me ask one more question? Do you need one on both sides? or will the one work just fine?

I agree on the flowmaster thing too!

Last edited by 1TRUESS; 02-16-2006 at 05:45 PM.
Old 02-16-2006, 07:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JimS
I don't think the breather will do the job correctly. The breather just opens up the system so that air flow can't be measured by the computer. I think that the tune will maybe suffer if the system is just opened up.
Im a little confused with this statement

please clarify your thoughts on how the pcv system and pcm communicate

I dont see where they do
Old 02-16-2006, 09:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by mattrem
Where did you get that filter from? I like that idea. I am going to put the LS6 cover on when the FAST goes on, but I like this idea better.
Autozone it cost 9.99 and you get your choice of red, blue, white, yellow and many other ricer friendly colors

I got the white one and put some open air element oil on it. Its positive pressure so it should be blowing out all the time but who knows there could be some back pressure when decelerating rapidly.

Last edited by 02sierraz71_5.3; 02-16-2006 at 09:41 PM.
Old 02-16-2006, 10:55 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you don't have it going to the intake at all i don't see why not put one on both sides that way it can vent as well a possible. old school eng have them on both.

Quick Reply: Anybody using a valve cover "Breather"?