Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any gains to be had by using CAI with supporting mods?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 11:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Any gains to be had by using CAI with supporting mods?

Good evening all. I've got a nbs silverado with a tsp 220 cam, long tubes, exhaust and just a CAI tube plumbed to the factory airbox. I read tons of threads including the dyno thread that blackbear did that proved CAI don't really make more power...at least on a stock vehicle. question is... What about on vehicles with cams and other mods? I'm also switching to a TBSS intake shortly with a 90MM LS2 TB

Am I leaving anything on the table by not running a large cone filter on it? I highly doubt it but figured I'd see what we of you thought. Next time at the track I may bring the cone filter and see if it makes a difference.

Personally I don't see it picking up anything else. I was running in the 12.9s last time out with just what is in my signature... But always trying to squeeze that last little bit out of it. My goal for this season was 12s NA and 11s on a small shot. I'm definitely there..
Old 09-23-2017, 12:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

I don't see it helping either.

Most just swiss cheese the factory airbox to allow in more air through the fender opening and behind the headlight to get more airflow to it though.
Old 09-23-2017, 07:28 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by FFDP
I don't see it helping either.

Most just swiss cheese the factory airbox to allow in more air through the fender opening and behind the headlight to get more airflow to it though.

I currently just have one 3" hole in the front of the airbox. I may add a few more. Probably won't get to run it again for 2 weeks. I also have a welded carrier and probably will be adding some 4.10 s. New goal for next year is 12.50s NA. 11.50s small shot. I may have to step up the cam size to get there though.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 191 Likes on 149 Posts

Wow, 12s with just cam and headers. I should put my drivetrain in a 1/2 ton and see what it'll do. Anyway, if you put a vacuum gauge between the throttle and air filter, and see any vacuum at all, you will benefit from a larger air filter.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:02 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MikeGyver
Wow, 12s with just cam and headers. I should put my drivetrain in a 1/2 ton and see what it'll do. Anyway, if you put a vacuum gauge between the throttle and air filter, and see any vacuum at all, you will benefit from a larger air filter.
I may try that..thanks for the suggestion.

And if you do.. you can't go wrong with the RCSB...

Very happy with the way she's running. It also Has a 3600 yank as well. Honestly never thought it would crack 12s until some headwork or other more serious mods. But the stall shaved nearly. 8 of my quarter so I put the nitrous on hold until I cracked 12s. Was cutting 1.7 60s with 3.73s and the factory gov bomb. Really want to put some 4.10 in it as well. I know this truck could see 12.50s. NA. I have a 90mm TB and TBSS intake so hopefully it'll pick up a little up top with it.