Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another lost torque / header thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 01:10 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is what I know. The headers are 1 3/4 primaries. They are installed. I don't intend to take them off. I would love a $1000 set of headers but I cant justify that. I have a BBP tune. It is installed. I don't have the money to go with another tuner even if I wanted to. Which I kind of do... me. I have no knowledge on how to tune a vehicle, yet. I have seen in this thread - BBP tunes soft, there's more left in the tune, Find a different tuner (I'm sure you have your reasons). What could I ask Justin specifically to do to get more bang out of this tune? Look guys and gals of PT.net I am still new to this and I really, and I mean REALLY appreciate y'all for posting and trying to help me out. I do intend on porting and polishing my 862 heads, Getting a nice cam and intake. And I definitely have plans on forced induction and forged internals but I have to take baby steps one at a time. Right now a retune costs me 15 bucks and P&P about 60. baby steps
Old 07-21-2015, 01:13 AM
Staging Lane

Smokeshow You really seem to know your stuff. Do you tune professionally? If not, I think you could.
Old 07-21-2015, 01:16 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by George C....
get a new tuner.....end of discussion
Could you explain to me your reasoning on why? Did you have a bad experience or...?
Old 07-21-2015, 01:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by smokeshow
That's my point. Things CAN appear to fall into place. Everything looks fine and dandy. But in the end you should always double check with a known value, or as close to one as you can get. If I were tuning a 350 cubic inch engine and saw 1.02g/cyl pop up on my screen, I'd be looking for the mistake that I made.
Honestly it has me questioning of all things the engine itself. It was supposed to be a stock replacement light duty L31 2-bolt main engine. I bought it from a GM dealer at wholesale pricing in an unmarked, open crate. Story goes it had been ordered for a customer that had a 4x4 Tahoe but backed out on the deal and went with a junkyard engine. It is a 880 casting with 5.7 stamped on the back near the bellhousing. I have been deep enough into it to know that atleast 3 important parts are not right for a by VIN replacement engine. It has 4-bolt mains, factory single roller chain and had a cam stamped with "395" rather than the "264" I would have expected. The stock tune was about 10-15% lean and back in the day I bumped the MFI spider to 70 psi to compensate for the lean running when I had the black box. This engine always felt like it had more torque than the stock engine but gave up quickly on top. Like I could step on the gas about 1/2 throttle and have more power at 3,000 rpm than WOT at 5,000 rpm. Where the stock engine had pulled strong to the 5,000 rpm shift points this one fell over at about 4,700 rpm. Right after I put the engine in I put a production LT4 cam and 1.6 rockers on it and the thing SCREAMED. I am thinking I may know where the extra 10% or so of airflow/airmass is coming from. Guess I need to pull the pan someday and check the crank casting number. With the way it pulls overdrive and tows I am almost thinking it is a 383 rather than a 350. HT383 torque would also help explain how it took out a 4L65E spec rebuild of the 4L60E in less than 40K miles. Would also explain the 8.5s demise.

Last edited by Fast355; 07-21-2015 at 01:42 AM.
Old 07-21-2015, 01:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Infernohoe
This is what I know. The headers are 1 3/4 primaries. They are installed. I don't intend to take them off. I would love a $1000 set of headers but I cant justify that. I have a BBP tune. It is installed. I don't have the money to go with another tuner even if I wanted to. Which I kind of do... me. I have no knowledge on how to tune a vehicle, yet. I have seen in this thread - BBP tunes soft, there's more left in the tune, Find a different tuner (I'm sure you have your reasons). What could I ask Justin specifically to do to get more bang out of this tune? Look guys and gals of PT.net I am still new to this and I really, and I mean REALLY appreciate y'all for posting and trying to help me out. I do intend on porting and polishing my 862 heads, Getting a nice cam and intake. And I definitely have plans on forced induction and forged internals but I have to take baby steps one at a time. Right now a retune costs me 15 bucks and P&P about 60. baby steps
I am sure if it is possible some datalogging would go a long way toward helping get your setup running better. 1 3/4" is better than the 1 7/8" I feared you were running.
Old 07-21-2015, 01:49 AM

Received 222 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Infernohoe
Could you explain to me your reasoning on why? Did you have a bad experience or...?

Justin is a good tuner. the problem a mail order/street tuner/high volume tuner has is time and resources IMO. off idle/low rpm timing/afr needs to be measured in a way that the dyno/street tune will never work. dyno/street is great for WOT tuning from a roll. the track is where it matters. no street/high volume/dyno tuner will ever dial it down as good as someone who puts the time in with their own car on the drag strip where it matters.
Old 07-21-2015, 01:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
Justin is a good tuner. the problem a mail order/street tuner/high volume tuner has is time and resources IMO. off idle/low rpm timing/afr needs to be measured in a way that the dyno/street tune will never work. dyno/street is great for WOT tuning from a roll. the track is where it matters. no street/high volume/dyno tuner will ever dial it down as good as someone who puts the time in with their own car on the drag strip where it matters.
Actually you can measure the low rpm/high load stuff, just need to drag around a heavy trailer in mixed driving to really load the engine. If it cannot sustain 50% or more throttle for a few miles at a time, towing uphill in hot weather its no good for me. If you are actually using the truck a trailer can heat soak the engine well beyond anything a 15 second or less 1/4 mile pass can do and really expose hiccups in your tune.
Old 07-21-2015, 05:33 AM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

I knew I shouldn't have opened this thread.
Old 07-21-2015, 08:23 AM

Received 222 Likes on 148 Posts

I was talking about from a stop stomp like the op was referring to.
Old 07-21-2015, 09:17 AM
Formerly ScreamingL

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 03sierraslt
I knew I shouldn't have opened this thread.
you know you enjoy this kind of postings

get to see fast355 talking out his *** on numerous things

Quick Reply: Another lost torque / header thread