Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

another Long Tube thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 08:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another Long Tube thread

I know this has been covered 10k time over... but I am ready to buy and I wanted to make sure I have all the info I need. So here are my lingering questions...

Although I have long term plans to get forced induction and other goodies.. if that day ever comes I will buy different headers to go with them, so lets assume I will do no more then adding the headers, maybe a cam in a year...

What size primaries are better? I have heard so many opinions between 1 3/4" and 1 5/8" primaries and really need help on which is better for normally aspirated motors.

Second, I have noticed that the price on headers seems to be going down, whats with that? how much should i be expecting to pay for decent headers (**** pacesetters, had a set for my honda in high school and they blew *****)

lastly, I have heard that I cannot get headers because I have a 4x4. is this true? is the front transfer case really going to keep me from getting headers?
Old 12-08-2009, 09:05 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will pay for a GOOD(usa made set) in the area of 700-1400 for a set along with pipes.. You can def run headers, as they make them to fit 4wd aps.. In my op at the minimum I would go with a 1 3/4 prim header wit ha 3 inch collector, ESP is you have plans to go FI down the road.. If you bolt on a set of 1 5/8 headers and do not tune for them, you might be able to tell a difference in low end between a set of 1 3/4. If it is tuned after the change, i doubt a difference at all, the larger one will perform better up top, where we all no these motors really shine.. All in all it is up to you. But like I said the 1 3/4 would be my choice..
Old 12-08-2009, 09:10 PM
traveling mod

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1 5/8 limits your options and frankly there kinda a waste of time..Just go 1 3/4 in either American racing header or stainless works... and talk to the guy above about some stainlesss works
and yes you can have headers being 4wd
Old 12-08-2009, 09:18 PM
On The Tree

yes I already have a custom tune and once I install the headers I will be re-tuning for them... I should have mentioned that

I really really really really really want a set of AEM's, but those are nearly imposible to find.

I think I will end up going entry level because (like I did with my import) I end up replacing and upgrading and changing my setup a lot... I dont know though, maybe I will just get the goods right from jump street and call it a day
Old 12-09-2009, 08:45 PM
On The Tree

anyone know how I can tell if the headers I want will fit a 4x4? Many of the products I am looking at do not specify one way or another.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:49 PM
traveling mod

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what brands are you looking at??? There are several 4x4 trucks here with headers ...
Old 12-09-2009, 08:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

where you live? If you don't live in the north or northeast with harsh winters and road salt then go with the Pacesetters! Happy with mine!
Old 12-09-2009, 09:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Subscribed! Same question, I am torn between SW's or ARH for around $1k, or going with the $500 LPP's.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:00 PM
On The Tree

i really did like the way the LPP's looked. As for pacesetters, I have heard a lot of people here are pleased with theirs. I didnt like the fitment when I put them on my car in highschool, but that was a little while back I suppose.

I have seen a few sets on Ebay that look really nice but the info most of the sellers is offering is sketchy and Ebay products cant be, ya know! Anyone know anything about these sets they sell on Ebay (some of them are DIRT cheap)

I dont know what the hell I want to do... I dont want to spend a 'G' because I am hoping to get headers AND and cam (or efans) at the same time and if I spend a guop on the headers there will be nothing left for the other goodies.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:00 PM
On The Tree

i really did like the way the LPP's looked. As for pacesetters, I have heard a lot of people here are pleased with theirs. I didnt like the fitment when I put them on my car in highschool, but that was a little while back I suppose.

I have seen a few sets on Ebay that look really nice but the info most of the sellers is offering is sketchy and Ebay products cant be, ya know! Anyone know anything about these sets they sell on Ebay (some of them are DIRT cheap)

I dont know what the hell I want to do... I dont want to spend a 'G' because I am hoping to get headers AND and cam (or efans) at the same time and if I spend a guop on the headers there will be nothing left for the other goodies.

Quick Reply: another Long Tube thread