Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Intake that doesnt make noise?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 02:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Intake that doesnt make noise?

Hey I am looking for more airflow into the motor, but do not want to hear it. I put one of the K&N cold air kits on and hated the loud sucking sound. I have just the K&N filter in the stock box now, but would like to get more in. Does anyone know if they make one that is quiet like stock? I can handle a very little noise when I am at full throttle, but that K&N kit made a bunch of noise when ecelerating and the rpms were low.
Old 06-27-2005, 02:45 PM

Received 222 Likes on 148 Posts

volant or upd are 2 that come to mind. i would go volant. love my upd but i got it used and hear horror stories about the customer service.
Old 06-27-2005, 03:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hmmm I did a search and found the volant and it looks nice. I cant seem to find the upd though. Is that an abreviation or the actual name?
Old 06-27-2005, 03:19 PM

UPD WEBSITE
Old 06-27-2005, 03:29 PM
TECH Resident

FWIW, I have the Volant CAI with the ram-air tube. Definitely quiet and fairly easy to install. I've had it for maybe 18 months and like it better than the AiRaid (open element) that I had on my ZR2.
Old 06-27-2005, 05:03 PM
TECH Resident

My Volant has a good bit of resonance from about 2200 to 2500 rpm when i am rolling into the throttle. It is not stock quiet.
Old 06-27-2005, 06:43 PM
On The Tree

My UPD does not make any noise at all. The one thing I don't like about it is that it fits right into the stock intake box. The box only has two holes for air to be sucked in . A cousin of mine made a mod on the box by cutting the bottom part out and drilling holes on the small sheet of metal at the bottom to let more air in (thinking of doing the same). Not many people have the UPD where I live, they trust the K&N more (i guess because it lets in more air). One thing I cannot explain is why remove the front headlight when running it at the track??? I know it will let more air in, but won't letting in too much air affect your e.t. or performance at least??? I just figure that's just trying too hard to get as much gains as possible, besides I think trucks look ugly at the track without a headlight

Old 06-27-2005, 06:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the UPD on both of my trucks and they don't make nay noise. I'd like to the new version of the Volant.
Old 06-27-2005, 07:23 PM
Launching!

Yeah those K&N's are kinda loud (i liked it) anywho my buddy has a upd on his sierra and you can't here anything.
Old 06-27-2005, 11:47 PM

The one thing I don't like about it is that it fits right into the stock intake box. The box only has two holes for air to be sucked in . A cousin of mine made a mod on the box by cutting the bottom part out and drilling holes on the small sheet of metal at the bottom to let more air in (thinking of doing the same).
the factory lower airbox is fine...ive seen posts where they have proven that the factory airbox can flow more air than your motor will ever need. i think its the factory lid and tube that hurts the flow most. hell, the f-body guys only change the lids and filters on their factory intakes and get a gain around 10HP. 01thunder has a 13 second N/A 4.8 still using the factory box and lid. the only things he did to his intake was change the tube, port and polish the throttle body, ram air mod, and bypassed the coolant.

i got rid of my open element filter for my upd. the heat shield didnt do much on my truck and it was sealing against the hood. i feel better having my filter closed up pulling in cool air, and i feel like its pulling atleast the same amount, if not more air. i have a ram air setup on my truck. do a search on home made ram air setups and youll find tons of info.

One thing I cannot explain is why remove the front headlight when running it at the track??? I know it will let more air in, but won't letting in too much air affect your e.t. or performance at least???
open element intakes probably dosent pull any more air when the headlight is out. but it does pull cooler air which helps. and theres no such thing as too much air. everyone wants more air and the cooler the better. superchargers force air down the intake to make more power. intercoolers cool the air down to make more power.

sorry this got kinda long winded

Quick Reply: Air Intake that doesnt make noise?