Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Air Filter Cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 09:24 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Filter Cleaner

Hey guys,I have AEM Brute Force air intake and I have been neglecting my filter. I really need to clean it and I already have a K&N cleaner kit. I was wondering if I can use it on my filter. I know not to oil the filter, but I am mainly wondering about the cleaner.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:58 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have the dry filter or the oiled filter? If it's the dry filter, I don't think that you want to use the K&N cleaner on it. If it's the oiled filter, the K&N recharger kit should work just fine. Does AEM's website have cleaning instructions somewhere?
Old 10-25-2009, 09:29 PM
Staging Lane

it is a dry filter. There website is pretty vague
Old 10-25-2009, 09:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

dry filter you just use mild soap and water and let it dry.

pretty sure anyway. I can go check the sticker under the hood if ya want.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:57 PM
Staging Lane

i would sure appreciate it. I lost all my info when I moved.
Old 10-29-2009, 05:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bruno17
it is a dry filter. There website is pretty vague
how is it vague?

http://www.aemintakes.com/air_filter_cleaning_kit.htm
Old 10-29-2009, 08:24 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

AEM Air Filter Cleaning Kits

Cone Filter Cleaning Procedure
Remove filter from intake pipe and set the filter clamp aside. Tap off all loose dirt and debris.
Measure the length of the filter media.
Fill a pail with warm clean water to the depth determined in Step 2. Add 12 ounces (one bottle) of AEM Filter cleaning solution to the water.
Without allowing the solution to flow into the filter neck, submerge the filter into the water and let it soak for 10 minutes. After soaking, rotate the filter back and forth to agitate the water and knock off dirt.
Empty the bucket of dirty water. Repeat steps 3 and 4. (Both solution bottles will be used for one cleaning cycle)
Refill the pail with clean warm water and rinse by rotating the filter as in step 4. The water should be clear with no signs of dirt in the pail.
Allow the filter to air dry. DO NOT APPLY ANY OIL TO THIS FILTER. Re-install the filter on the intake system once it is dry.

Panel Filter Cleaning Procedure
At the track or on the trail, you can quickly clean the filter by removing and knocking it against your hand to release a majority of the dirt. Since oil is not used, the dirt will not cake to the media’s surface
Remove the dirty filter from the car. Tap off all loose dirt and debris.
Spray AEM DRYFLOW Filter Cleaner or a mild multi purpose cleaner (example: Simple Green) on both sides of the filter element.
Rinse the filter element with cool or warm (not hot) tap water from the clean side out in order to flush the dirt out of the filter.
Repeat steps two and three until the water flowing through the filter media is completely clear of any dirt or debris.
Allow the filter to air dry. DO NOT HEAT OR PUT NEAR AN OPEN FLAME TO SPEED THE DRYING PROCESS. DO NOT APPLY ANY OIL TO THIS FILTER.
Re-install the filter on the intake system once it's completely dry.
* Be sure to place the "Do Not Oil/Do Not Discard" decal included with the AEM DRYFLOW filter in a highly visible location under the hood to prevent the filter from being thrown away or oiled during servicing.

Remove loose dirt
Spray cleaner on both sides

Rinse thoroughly and repeat cleaning
process until filter rinses clear
Air dry completely and reinstall.
DO NOT ADD OIL!

Round Filter Cleaning Procedure
At the track or on the trail, you can quickly clean the filter by removing and knocking it against your hand to release a majority of the dirt. Since oil is not used, the dirt will not cake to the media’s surface

Remove the dirty filter from the car. Tap off all loose dirt and debris.
Spray AEM DRYFLOW Filter Cleaner or a mild multi purpose cleaner (example: Simple Green) on both sides of the filter element.
Rinse the filter element with cool or warm (not hot) tap water from the clean side out in order to flush the dirt out of the filter.
Repeat steps two and three until the water flowing through the filter media is completely clear of any dirt or debris.
Allow the filter to air dry. DO NOT HEAT OR PUT NEAR AN OPEN FLAME TO SPEED THE DRYING PROCESS. DO NOT APPLY ANY OIL TO THIS FILTER.
Re-install the filter on the intake system once it's completely dry.
* Be sure to place the "Do Not Oil/Do Not Discard" decal included with the AEM DRYFLOW filter in a highly visible location under the hood to prevent the filter from being thrown away or oiled during servicing.

Remove loose dirt
Spray cleaner on both sides

Rinse thoroughly and repeat cleaning
process until filter rinses clear
Air dry completely and reinstall.
DO NOT ADD OIL!

Copyright © 2009 AEM Induction Systems. All Rights Reserved.