Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

99 5.3 gmc lopey cam w/ no trq loss??

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 12:29 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TexSierra
see the problem lies on the fact that he wants factory like torque in the factory rpm range. narrowing out his LSA is really the only way to get any noise without hurting his off idle (unless he gets a torque coverter, but will still hurt torque). a 108* LSA should net him some decent noise. heck, here is a video of my neon with a 204/208 cam set, that at the moment had about a 110* LSA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3Sv7-3qC6M

now i realise that being a significantly smaller motor means that for a given duration, it equates to a larger cam in a larger motor, but you get the idea.
Are you really using a neon video for reference about an lsx based engine?

I'll end this conversation right there.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RandomHero
Are you really using a neon video for reference about an lsx based engine?

I'll end this conversation right there.

did you read my post at all there bud? obviously not.

camshafts are camshafts, and i was simply using it as a reference to show that a mild cam, with an aggressive LSA can cause the lope the OP was looking for. if you have nothing more to add, or a logical structure to your arguement, then i really agree that you should end the conversation
Old 10-25-2007, 12:41 AM
TECH Veteran

did you read my post at all there bud? obviously not.

camshafts are camshafts, and i was simply using it as a reference to show that a mild cam, with an aggressive LSA can cause the lope the OP was looking for. if you have nothing more to add, or a logical structure to your arguement, then i really agree that you should end the conversation
Yea I guess you're right, so I guess according to your theory a 244/244 on a 110 lsa would have the same lope as a 210/210 on 110 lsa right?
Old 10-25-2007, 12:46 AM

did i say that? i dont recall writting that, but i am exhausted so maybe it came out that way. no if i remember correctly i put that similar spec'd cams will act like a larger cam on a smaller motor.

but that was not my point. my point was that the OP was looking for a lumpy stock style cam. so keeping his torque where he wants it, but getting noise would require a tweak to his LSA.

i feel like i have already stated all of this already
Old 10-25-2007, 12:49 AM
TECH Veteran

thinking a 208/212 on a 110* LSA (or maybe even a 108* LSA, if you are brave)

massive lope....
This is the statement I've been refering to.

You're losing creditability as you speak. Good night, I'll let someone else take over
Old 10-25-2007, 12:51 AM

with a factory TC, its going to be as massive as he can get

we are talking about a bolt-on street truck, are we not? it will be enough
Old 10-25-2007, 12:54 AM
TECH Veteran

with a factory TC, its going to be as massive as he can get
LOL, that's quite a bit different from what you said. Overlap is the primary factor that will decide how much a cam "lopes." You're talking about a cam with +10* overlap. That's like running my 224/224 cam but on a 117 lsa. They would both sound the same which would be close to stock.

Now with that said. I agree that the cam you picked out would probably work really good with a stock torque converter, but you may want to choose your words a bit more carefully next time.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:00 AM

and i will give you that. though, i bet the OP will be happy if he were to ditch his cats (though he has longtubes so that is probably already done) and go with an open exhaust, it will make some noise, which i consider an agressive lope on a street car

when i am building a street/strip or weekend road/race car, cam lope is a different thing. but i dont sacrifice on the street

actually, now that i think about it, we just put this cam in a SBC (327ci), 9.5:1 static compression ratio, in a 32 ford roadster, with a tripple-deuce setup along with longtube headers dumping through glasspacks

comp xtreme 4x4 flat tappet
advertised duration: 250/258
duration at 0.050: 206/214
lift: .432/.453
LSA: 111*

it loped pretty darn well for a baby cam. i was quite impressed really, and the torque that thing made, again, very impressive for such a mild motor

Last edited by TexSierra; 10-25-2007 at 01:10 AM.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:16 PM
TECH Resident

and i will give you that. though, i bet the OP will be happy if he were to ditch his cats (though he has longtubes so that is probably already done) and go with an open exhaust, it will make some noise, which i consider an agressive lope on a street car

when i am building a street/strip or weekend road/race car, cam lope is a different thing. but i dont sacrifice on the street

actually, now that i think about it, we just put this cam in a SBC (327ci), 9.5:1 static compression ratio, in a 32 ford roadster, with a tripple-deuce setup along with longtube headers dumping through glasspacks

comp xtreme 4x4 flat tappet
advertised duration: 250/258
duration at 0.050: 206/214
lift: .432/.453
LSA: 111*

it loped pretty darn well for a baby cam. i was quite impressed really, and the torque that thing made, again, very impressive for such a mild motor
LSX vs SBC is quite a bit different. You don't have near the tuning capabilities with MOST SBC carbed motors as you do with EFI... The only benefit to having a cam in the LSX motor is if you can tune it. Most of the lope is "tuned out," as in,the cam is properly tuned with the motor instead of just.... "pretty close" in a carbed SBC setup.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:19 PM
Teching In

what about some kind of 218 cam with 108 lsa??

Quick Reply: 99 5.3 gmc lopey cam w/ no trq loss??