Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

700R4 or 4L60E question - Clutches, Shift Kit ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2004, 07:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 700R4 or 4L60E question - Clutches, Shift Kit ?

I have a question, and have recieved no help in the auto tranny section and thought that you guys could help.

I have a 700R4 behind the hemi in my hudson. Somehow I have lost 2nd and overdrive, it has only first and third gear now. I just got a 700R4 out of a 1991 firebird from my friend. He says that it looks like a service replacement tranny(Real clean looking). I know that I will have to swap tailshaft housings; Since I am going to be opening up the tranny, I'd like to know what all you guys do to the 4L60E's in your trucks. I'd like a nice clean firm shift, but still shift smoothly at part throttle. Is there some clutch plates I can put in it, or a shift kit that you would recommend? Something that could withstand 400ft-lbs of torque, driven on the weekends. Thanks.
Old 05-12-2004, 07:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

I would recommend the TransGo shift kit, the one with the video. You can also put in some billet servos, that will help things out a good bit. I would put in a better band and a new drum, I have had good luck with the Raybestoes Pro-Series black kevlar band. The 3/4 clutch pack should be replaced too. There are lots of opions there. I just burnt up a set of blues, I would try the Red Eagle's from Alto with thier Kolene steels. As far as low gear clutches, BorgWarner's will be fine. Spend what you want on the hardened parts, but as long as the shift kit is CONSERVATIVE, they will be fine.
Old 05-12-2004, 07:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

BTW ... the band is what's slipping on yours. The better band and NEW drum will fix that. The servos will help keep it from happening again too.
Old 05-12-2004, 09:14 PM
TECH Addict

I knew I could count on you guys. Thanks a bunch.
Old 05-13-2004, 01:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

I'm shocked Hit Man hasn't been in here yet .... he usually has a lot to say about trannies. :p
Old 05-13-2004, 01:51 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Flyer
I'm shocked Hit Man hasn't been in here yet .... he usually has a lot to say about trannies. :p

LOL, I'm ZONED out of my mind now! You saw all my threads from earlier. I have a damned final tomorrow or the next day to study for too.

yes I like the 9 pack of Red Eagles when clearanced properly. If you ain't making big power that Kevlar band maybe bit much but just make sure if you get a wider band (no reason really to do so as the 700/4L60E have pretty much the widest band i've ever seen like 2.2" or something).

TransGo has a pretty slick setup for the 700, get the PSK (colorful w/ video) or HD2 type which is in the boring blue box.

BUT before you pop the case...see if an o-ring went bad on the apply servos...
Old 05-13-2004, 02:08 AM
TECH Addict

The thing is that this tranny is virtually inaccessable the way my dad and I put it into my car. The crosssmember is maybe 1" from the bottom of the pan, and the tunnel really wraps around the tranny. It was the only way this combo would fit in where a flathead straight six and a 3 speed came from. BTW I do have a 24,000GVW tranny cooler on it.

We bought it being told it was rebuilt already, along with the engine. The engine was for sure, 185psi of cranking pressure and white lithium grease all ofer internally. The tranny on the other hand I have no clue really. I plan on installing this "new" tranny that I got and driving it with that for a while while rebuilding the one that is currently in the car.

Transgo shiftkit with the video.
Red Eagle clutches
Bilelt servos or corvette servos

These should hold the torque I am giving out, right?
Old 05-13-2004, 02:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

If it is the band slipping, which I think it was ... you need to replace the drum and band. WHat happens a lot is the drum will get a concave shape to it and loose it's holding power, which is a reason for lots of rebuild come backs. This will burn up a new band very quickly leaving you back at square 1.

I would still use a good band, they are relatively cheap and will help LOTS better than the stock one will. If it were the servos, then the seal on both would have to be busted. I don't see that happening at the same time.
Old 05-13-2004, 02:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Hit Man X
LOL, I'm ZONED out of my mind now! You saw all my threads from earlier.

Slacker ....

Old 05-13-2004, 02:54 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the help guys. I'll let you know what is up when I get back from school.

Quick Reply: 700R4 or 4L60E question - Clutches, Shift Kit ?