Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6.0 swap, getting a ticking noise. please step in

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 11:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6.0 swap, getting a ticking noise. please step in

Ok, I'm still getting a ticking noise even after i changed the lifters. It definitely sounds like valvetrain but I need some opinions. I hope the vid is clear enough for some.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGGgA9pheBk

to describe it, it has a faint ticking at idle and gets loud when gassed. Its really noticeable on decel. The first night my brother and i had it out for tuning we did a quick burst we floated the valves at not even probably 55-5600.

could it be flat lobes on the cam? The old lifters had some scorching marks on the roller but nothing drastic from what i seen. And cylinder 1 and 2, the rockers didn't seem to come up as high as the others when i rotated the block

Thanks
Old 09-19-2010, 06:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What is all that you have changed in the engine? It sounds odd that you floated the valves. Did you check for the proper valvetrain setup (footprint, preload)?
Old 09-19-2010, 08:41 AM
TECH Resident

Its a LQ4 block, only things I did was swap on 799 (243 casting) heads. I just got done finishing up changing the lifters as I thought it was them. Am I doing something wrong on the tightening process? Rockers snugged to 22 ft-lbs?

Honestly, i don't know what you mean by the footprint and preload. Can you explain? sorry I don't have a preload tester though
Old 09-19-2010, 09:09 AM
TECH Resident

ok, i looked up the meaing of foot print and It is right on the center of the valve. As i was snugging them down I made sure, then I torqued them down to 22 ft-lbs.

I put a set of stock head gaskets back on too so everything is stock but the heads
Old 09-19-2010, 10:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Did you inspect the cam through the lifter bores on the ones that looked worn? I don't see how the lifters could be worn, and not the cam itself. If that's the case, you probably already damaged the new lifters.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:04 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't hear anything abnormal in the video, but my laptop speakers aren't the best. I'd be concerned with the lifters showing wear, as blsnelling mentioned, tough to have the lifters worn and the cam OK...
Old 09-19-2010, 09:04 PM
TECH Resident

well I swapped the pushrods and rockers off my 4.8 onto the 6.0 and still have noise. My brother (RED04REGENCYRST) thinks the noise is coming from either the cam or timing chain area. I know its not exhaust leaks b/c everything has been tight and its still been there. The Lifters are new, and the rockers and pushrods are good as well.

Would it be worth changing the cam, timing chain, and oil pump out? And is it difficult to put an oil pump in while in the truck still?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLkw8hCVHYg
Old 09-19-2010, 09:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are your heads milled any? and what length pushrods do you have?
Too much preload makes for a pretty noisy engine.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

when you torques the rockers to 22-24 ft lbs. did you turn the engine 180* and recheck the torque?
Old 09-19-2010, 09:32 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by brent5631
Are your heads milled any? and what length pushrods do you have?
Too much preload makes for a pretty noisy engine.
the heads are stock 799's, and the pushrods are stock length as well.

Originally Posted by skeet
when you torques the rockers to 22-24 ft lbs. did you turn the engine 180* and recheck the torque?
no I didn't rotate the engine, but even so before i swapped them out I rechecked the torque on the other rockers before I removed them and they were good. That was the setup in the first vid

Quick Reply: 6.0 swap, getting a ticking noise. please step in