Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

6.0 ltr mods ???

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2004, 12:26 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6.0 ltr mods ???

Guys I want to add a little extra power to my truck. Its a 2003 6.0 liter crew cab. I was thinking some kind of air kit, PCM and exhuast. Please give me suggestions on what stuff works best. Or is there any other bolt ons that work well with the exception of headers. Thanks
Old 03-07-2004, 03:34 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Stefan D.
Guys I want to add a little extra power to my truck. Its a 2003 6.0 liter crew cab. I was thinking some kind of air kit, PCM and exhuast. Please give me suggestions on what stuff works best. Or is there any other bolt ons that work well with the exception of headers. Thanks

Ok get an intake like the UPD (what I have and like the best still) then get the HPP3. Yeah the guys here will tell you about other options for programers but for simple and noticable improvments in shifting and responce this is the way to start.
Old 03-07-2004, 11:02 AM
TECH Addict

Smile

So far I have a Superchips 2280 which is a programmable chip not a microtuner and an AirForce One Intake. The superchips is great with much improved throttle response throughout the rev range and at partial throttle positions and greatly improved shift characteristics. The intake looks great ( Polished Stainless ) and sounds a little beefier than stock.

Performance wise the chip reduced 0-60 by .98sec and the 1/4 by .66sec and increased the speed by 4.5MPH to 89.8mph. Still more tuning required. The intake on the other hand does not seem to have added any performance gains and seems to hurt performance a little but more testing is required. Anybody got any ideas on why this is or how to wake the intake up? The results were optained using a G Tech Pro Competition and based on 5 run averages.

The jury is still out on exhaust. If the intake did not improve performace for my application then will I experience the same results with any performace exhaust enhancements?

Best of luck and have fun
Old 03-08-2004, 08:17 PM
Teching In

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Stefan D.
OK, start with a dual exhaust. The 6.0 has two cats so you can do a true dual with minimal cost. I did the Magnafow straight through with internal "Y" this provided great low rumble with minimal cab "droan", it also added substantially to the low end pick up and added about 1.5 mpg. Then I did a K&N filter using the stock air box, but I used a 1.5" hole saw and cut a few additional air inlets on the cool air side of the air box to help reduce restrictions. this helped also with more HP and mpg. I just ordered a throttle body spacer and hope to gain additionally from that. Overall I expecte to be somewhere around 350 HP and 16.5 MPG. We'll see. Next will come a MAF and computer tuner.
Old 03-09-2004, 02:46 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I would say the best mod for my truck has been the predator, when people don't mess with them they seam to be reliable on loading and unloading the performance program. Hypertech has shown it can give you better WOT better 1/4 time by .3 tenths or so over the Predator that is better then the hypertech at any RPM under WOT. It feels nice to ride around town with my predator. But if you arn't going to keep your truck long buy a hypertech cause the predator is mated to your VIN and can't be resold.

I'm pretty happy with my Flowmaster 70 series, but the JBA headers didn't do much and should have just put long tubes on. But I can resell the headers.

When I ran my truck at the track I didn't turn on tow/haul mode, i'm going to the track opening day April 1st. (my b day) and running tow haul mode on see what diff it makes. Not only with the predator does it maximize shift points and shift firmness with tow/haul but the converter won't lock up.
Old 03-09-2004, 06:14 AM
Formerly one92rs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

hey i would do some more checking first. there are custom tunes that are way better than the handhelds for a little bit more. hypertech is around 300.00 to 400.00 and so is the predator. i think the pred is even more. a custom tune can do much more in all aspects. and the upgrades are free for life. trust me. if this many people here on the boards are going to custom tunes there is a good reason. they work!!!!! put a good flowing muff on there and a good cold air intake--upd--and get a custom tune. there are plenty to choose from.my opinion is nelson. you can read more about him and others on all the boards.