Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6.0(lq9) or 5.3 blown

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2004, 07:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Flyer
I think you have those backwards. I can't speak for installation of the STS kit, but the RADIX is more than simple.

The turbo has the lag ... the RADIX has the instant boost and stays at full boost the whole time. The turbo will have a little bit of a lag, especially if you start upgrading the turbo.

What I mean by easy installation, is that I will not have to touch any thing on the engine (except injectors).

When you say instant boost, do you mean you are running 5-6psi from idle to redline? I thought superchargers build boost gradually? Also, is it possible to run 9-10psi with the radix?

=Dave
Old 10-18-2004, 08:17 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by diamondd2
What I mean by easy installation, is that I will not have to touch any thing on the engine (except injectors).

When you say instant boost, do you mean you are running 5-6psi from idle to redline? I thought superchargers build boost gradually? Also, is it possible to run 9-10psi with the radix?

=Dave
I am your average weekend mechanic with limited tools, and I installed a Radix in a few days taking my time, all went 100% as planned and it has never had a problem in the last 3k miles its been installed. And you dont have to mess with the injectors either - the blower/intercooler/manifold/injectors are all one peice, you just lay it on top of the motor. Roots type superchargers will see near instant boost off idle. I have a 3k stall so I see instant boost (6.5-7 psi) whenever its to the floor - and I'm sure a stock stall'ed truck would be nearly the same. Yes its possible to run 10psi on a Radix. The blower can take it, but the concern is the transmission (4l60e).

I made 338/394 rwhp on a Superflow dyno in the middle of July (100+ deg, very humid). I have been told Dynojet numbers are anywhere from 10-20% higher than Superflow numbers.....in which case I would be making approx. 380/450 on a Dynojet. This is on the original 3.4 Radix pulley. More power is just a $100 pulley swap away
Old 10-18-2004, 08:39 PM
lm7
TECH Fanatic

I like the turbo because of the ease of installation, future potential, and the cool factor.
=Dave
sounds like your coming to a decision but FWIW a forged 370 or 408 is much cooler than a turbo in my book
Old 10-18-2004, 09:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

=Dave
The RADIX is easy ... the instructions are almost dummy proof. I forgot to mention, the RADIX also comes with an upgraded fuel pump. The stock pump won't feed those injectors to thier max.

WHen I say instant boost, I mean by the time your foot hits the floor and you look at the boost gauge, it's at full boost. Doesn't matter what gear, how fast, or how many RPM's.

10 psi on a stock 5.3 won't be a problem. I'm running mine at 9 right now (for lack of being able to find another pulley) and spinning up to 6500rpm's.
Old 10-18-2004, 10:31 PM
TOTM: January 2007

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Was that on a stock 5.3 or was your motor modded already? 1blown04 made 343 rwhp / 364 rwtq with only the radix, if you made 370 rwhp / 390 rwtq that is a big difference between 2 stock 5.3l engines.

=Dave
I had a volant and a flowmaster muffler, thats it. I thought that was relatively low because I was shooting for more hp and torque. I picked up a 120 hp. If someone can post my dynosheet, I can email it.
Old 10-18-2004, 10:48 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by j's01silverado
I had a volant and a flowmaster muffler, thats it. I thought that was relatively low because I was shooting for more hp and torque. I picked up a 120 hp. If someone can post my dynosheet, I can email it.
I can post it for ya mate...

The Radix does make boost very quick and having never driven one I would still say that the boost would come on faster than a large turbo setup. There are pros and cons with anything out there. You just have to decide what you want. Price wise a full blown STS system to make great power will cost about the same as a Radix with all it's supporting hardware... Some people says "The STS kit doesn't come with injectors or a fuel pump or intercooler" Ok, no big deal. The STS kit is MUCH cheaper in base form and allows you to spend money on these other items and still wind up at nearly the same price as a Radix.

IMO the Radix is a no brainer and there is no thinking you have to do. The STS system for big power requires some thought and in my case I enjoy that so I went that route. Both can make great power and I don't think either kit has been pushed to it's max yet although hopefully I will be doing just that before the end of winter.

Either way i don't think you can go wrong. Just remember, for max performance you are going to need at least a small converter on both setups. I don't care how much boost is made off idle, we are still dealing with motors that start really making power at 3K so why waste energy under 3K when you'll never use those RPMs at WOT except off the line and a converter takes care of that.. I know in cold weather I could hit 1.7 60's and my turbo is laggy as hell due to sizing so imagine what you could do on a smaller unit.
Old 10-18-2004, 10:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Diamond, where are you from? Maybe you could meet with someone and go for a ride.
Old 10-19-2004, 09:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Flyer
Diamond, where are you from? Maybe you could meet with someone and go for a ride.

Yeah, that's a good idea.

I live up north, NJ. Next to New York City. I can make it down to englishtown/raceway park if anyone goes there to run on the track.

=Dave
Old 10-19-2004, 11:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well ... that's a bit far for me. F8L's in Cali, so I think that counts him out.

Maybe TByrne could help you out. He's up that way somewhere. I'm sure he could find you someone to ride in with a RADIX.
Old 10-20-2004, 08:48 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i disagree with the boost coming on early in an sts truck. with a stock stall a radix truck will almost always pull a 1.9 60' time without much more than a traction issue and this is an off idle launch. the sts kit if launched off idle isn't going to be anywhere close to this with a stock stall and still not impressive with a higher stall unless you bring it up tight on the converter stall speed. on the street where most playing around is done, this will show itself. for passing power just about nothing should have any lag as rpm is already up there. even at low boost the i.a.t.'s are pretty high on the sts truck from what i've seen and not even a condition on the radix truck.

Quick Reply: 6.0(lq9) or 5.3 blown