Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 Liter Bang For Buck Performance

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 07:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3 Liter Bang For Buck Performance

Dad has a 2005 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab Z71. So far his only modification is a Corsa Exhaust....but he would like to see that change. Truck is a daily driver. What are some good bolt-ons that won't cost a fortune. Is an FIPK a waste of time? I saw a few things on here about a wait4me tune....would that be worthwhile. What do you guys advise? Thanks.
Old 06-23-2007, 07:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZeeQuick
Dad has a 2005 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab Z71. So far his only modification is a Corsa Exhaust....but he would like to see that change. Truck is a daily driver. What are some good bolt-ons that won't cost a fortune. Is an FIPK a waste of time? I saw a few things on here about a wait4me tune....would that be worthwhile. What do you guys advise? Thanks.
1.)Yes
2.)Yes

Search around you might find something
Old 06-23-2007, 08:00 PM
Mr. Obvious

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IF he's not afraid to "cut up" his truck, some people arent willing to do this on a new truck, but it will save money. cut a 4" hole in the bottom of the air box and mounting plate, put in a K&N dropin stock replacement air filter, and get some kind of aftermarket intake tube. OR you could just get a cold air intake - id suggest a GMPP, volant, outlaw or other intake that has a sealed off intake box and a dry filter element( for ease of maintenance)

since he spent the money and got a corsa, id say that he wants all stainless exhaust, right? if so checkout dynatech header/catted y-pipe system($1000+). if he wants something a little less expensive check out the pacesetter long tube headers/ offroad ypipe setup.

get a mailorder tune(+40hp), or even better a local dyno tune. some mail order tuners are - nelson performance, wheatley tuning, wait4me, pcmforless.com, etc.

a gear replacement will make it feel like it has more power but with him having a z71 he probably already has 3.73s and going from 3.73s to 4.10s probably isnt worth the cost for front and rear diff gear swaps, but i would suggest getting an after market lsd

man i need to make a writeup on worthwhile boltons so i can just link to it evertime a thread like this comes up ( not against the original poster but this is a common question)
Old 06-23-2007, 08:54 PM
TECH Addict

pacesetter lt's, ORY and custom tune is a good place to start. If all dad wants is a timeslip...custom tune, 2600 stall, and nitrous 150 out of hole 4HI launch.
Old 06-23-2007, 09:03 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Nice truck The 2005 Z71 has the 5.3 aluminum block which responds well to modding. With basic bolt-ons a mail order tune will wake it up.

intake
headers
nitrous?
Old 06-24-2007, 12:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't mean to ask a question that's been beaten to death already. I did a few searches prior to posting and really didn't find anything all that thorough on the subject. Dad is really not looking for any time slips....he's really just looking for more punch for everyday driving. I'm thinking a tune will probably be the best (and cheapest) next step. I don't think he's looking to spend anything over $500. Can you really get 40hp from a mail order tune?? Did they program that much torque management into these things? I'll do some more poking around. I appreciate you guys taking the time to go over what you've probably gone over dozens of times.
Old 06-24-2007, 12:26 AM
TECH Junkie

There is a ton of TQ in the stock program to save the weak *** tranny. I think some of the mail order guys don't like taking it all out on a stock tranny either for fear of killing one and upsetting a customer. I say start the new transmission fund now so you will be ready when and if yours fails, and if you never need to use the fund for a tranny then hey... Bonus!!! Just my opinion though.
Old 06-24-2007, 03:16 AM
Where's the Beef?

I don't mean to ask a question that's been beaten to death already. I did a few searches prior to posting and really didn't find anything all that thorough on the subject. Dad is really not looking for any time slips....he's really just looking for more punch for everyday driving. I'm thinking a tune will probably be the best (and cheapest) next step. I don't think he's looking to spend anything over $500. Can you really get 40hp from a mail order tune?? Did they program that much torque management into these things? I'll do some more poking around. I appreciate you guys taking the time to go over what you've probably gone over dozens of times.
Headers and a custom tune. I had DozerDan tune mine after putting my headers on and its the best money i've spent. It's amazing how much of a difference a tune makes.
I think he'd be happy with that.
Old 06-24-2007, 08:22 AM
Mr. Obvious

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if not over $500, first get a mailorder tune then get the pacesetter LTs/ORY and then he'd be happy, convince him to get the tune first then spend a little extra to get the headers and ypipe

http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...d=650&catid=45
Old 06-24-2007, 11:14 AM
13 Second Truck Club

Tune sounds like the best bang for the buck. If he gets headers and an intake down the road after the tune he will have more air comming in and that will throw off his Air to Fuel ratio. Check and see what they charge to re-tune if you wnt to grow beyond just a tune and catback later on..

Quick Reply: 5.3 Liter Bang For Buck Performance