Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.8 Nbs ??

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 12:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Torque_Wrench
The only diffence that I'm aware of is the New body 4.8's have the VVT and DOD. I personally don't like that feature but you can have it programmed out by Nelson Performance.

The 4.8 is a very capable motor. Don't knock it. But why would you want to swap a 6.2 into a brand new truck with a warranty?

In-correct. The new 07 4.8 liter (LY2) does not have either VVT or DOD(AFM as GM calls it) They are a Gen IV Engine though and share LS2 Architecture. Actually all the new 07 Engines are LS2 based, but the 4.8 is the only one of the bunch that does not have VVT or AFM. And definitely don't know it. Wheatley did my tuning this past friday and we logged some runs. I for right now, stayed with an 87 octane tune and removed only 50% of the TQM--will be going back soon to change to a 93 tune and remove an additional 25% ot the TQM. But from stock to tuned, using the data log data, we calculated approx. about a 6 tenth gain 0-60 and a .59xx 1/4 mile.

I have no track numbers supporting this calculations yet, but the gains from stock are huge. It seriously doesn't even feel like the same truck. Only issue is off the line so far. The throttle bodies on the new trucks, at least the 4.8s seem to slowly open not snap open with throttle. There was a fix for it with the 06 and 07 classics, but GM made some changes to the ECM and ETC for the new 07's. We have been researching it some and made some discoveries that HPTuners is looking into. So hopefully we may have a fix for it soon.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:15 AM
Launching!

What the **** is a 6.1 anyway?
Hemi Srt8 425hp and 420Tq Stock
Old 06-21-2007, 02:17 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by L33Z71
In-correct. The new 07 4.8 liter (LY2) does not have either VVT or DOD(AFM as GM calls it) They are a Gen IV Engine though and share LS2 Architecture. Actually all the new 07 Engines are LS2 based, but the 4.8 is the only one of the bunch that does not have VVT or AFM. And definitely don't know it. Wheatley did my tuning this past friday and we logged some runs. I for right now, stayed with an 87 octane tune and removed only 50% of the TQM--will be going back soon to change to a 93 tune and remove an additional 25% ot the TQM. But from stock to tuned, using the data log data, we calculated approx. about a 6 tenth gain 0-60 and a .59xx 1/4 mile.

I have no track numbers supporting this calculations yet, but the gains from stock are huge. It seriously doesn't even feel like the same truck. Only issue is off the line so far. The throttle bodies on the new trucks, at least the 4.8s seem to slowly open not snap open with throttle. There was a fix for it with the 06 and 07 classics, but GM made some changes to the ECM and ETC for the new 07's. We have been researching it some and made some discoveries that HPTuners is looking into. So hopefully we may have a fix for it soon.
L33Z71
Old 06-21-2007, 06:39 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by YeLLow Fever
short block 6.0 will that work , i heard u have to swap the crank to a ls2's

i dont know man seriously i feel like i should have never placed an order on this thing , im so used to the 6.1 and on to a 4.8 so no comments there :/
it'll have to be a newer 6.0...either out of a 07+ silverado or 06+ LS2. cranks aren't too expensive though if you want to buy new. just make sure you get one with a 58x reluctor ring.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:16 AM
TECH Addict

Good info....great post! I wasn't for sure about the 4.8's at all. I don;t have a 4.8 on my lot at all. I have to agree with you....the 4.8's are no slouch!! I don;t know why people knock this engine, it is very capabale.

I'd like to see more people try to build the 4.8 instead of jumping on the 6.0 bandwagon.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:18 AM
TECH Addict

Hemi Srt8 425hp and 420Tq Stock

Ahhhhh.....I see....the ol' Off brand Mopar...lol.....just kidding.

I thought you were referring to a GM and a 6.1, so I was going to say...I'd never heard of that.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Good info....great post! I wasn't for sure about the 4.8's at all. I don;t have a 4.8 on my lot at all. I have to agree with you....the 4.8's are no slouch!! I don;t know why people knock this engine, it is very capabale.

I'd like to see more people try to build the 4.8 instead of jumping on the 6.0 bandwagon.

Yeah, I knew before I bought it that the 4.8's didn't have all the AFM or VVT, it was kinda my purpose in going that route. Plus like I said, just have had the desire for a while to mess with the 4.8.

But I have been trying to do as much research on these new ones as I can. There have been lots of subtle changes done to them electronically that even HPTuners don't know about yet and haven't alotted room for modification for yet. So Charlie and I were trying to log some runs and all. Mine was the first 07 4.8 that he logged, although he has done some 5.3's and 6.0's. Oh, and my 4.8 liter came factory with the 243 casting heads.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:14 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah, I knew before I bought it that the 4.8's didn't have all the AFM or VVT, it was kinda my purpose in going that route. Plus like I said, just have had the desire for a while to mess with the 4.8.

But I have been trying to do as much research on these new ones as I can. There have been lots of subtle changes done to them electronically that even HPTuners don't know about yet and haven't alotted room for modification for yet. So Charlie and I were trying to log some runs and all. Mine was the first 07 4.8 that he logged, although he has done some 5.3's and 6.0's. Oh, and my 4.8 liter came factory with the 243 casting heads.
Great research so far....keep us updated on what kind of gains your getting form your mods on that baby!
Old 06-21-2007, 06:58 PM
Formerly Low_LQ4 - 6/6/10

L33Z71
My friends in Kuwait just sold a C6 engine let me talk to them and get back to you..
Thats if your looking for a 6.0?
Old 06-22-2007, 02:54 AM
Launching!

just let me know how much he wants it for ..

thanx dmc u've been a great help

Quick Reply: 4.8 Nbs ??