Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 Tahoe as a Tow Vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2004, 11:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb 2001 Tahoe as a Tow Vehicle

undefined

My '01 Tahoe, 5.3L, auto, 3.73, tow package will begin towing a trailer very soon. I want some mods that will deliver better power and hopefully some better mileage. So far I have put Red Line oil in the motor and rear. I am going to a trans shop to have all the dino ATF replaced and refilled with Red Line ATF. That should take care of the mechanicals for some time. The only other thing I have done is to replace the stock paper air filter with a K&N filter. The trailer will weigh ~6,000lbs when fully loaded. The vehicle has 45,000 miles so there is no warranty to worry about voiding.

Does anyone have ideas on how to make power and get better mileage?? The vehicle is a daily driver and grocery getter Mom-mobile so a loud 40 Series Flowmaster is out

I have heard good and bad about an FIPK kit and am on the fence about getting one. I don't think reprogramming the chip will help as I only run 87 octane gas due to the $1.80+ cost and how much the vehicle drinks weekly. Is there anything I can do to make sure I have the power to run the North Georgia hills with the trailer and still get decent mileage on the highway while towing?

I just cleaned the throttle body, installed a new fuel filter and added a bottle of the Red Line fuel system cleaner.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Old 07-10-2004, 11:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

If you go intake only go UPD,FIPK sux,Get a custom tune for 87 octain,get the Nelson tune,replace your muffler with a large case magnaflow or a flowpro HD,then your ready to tow and get better daily MPG.One more thing.I dont like synthetic in the trans,a trans service w/dextron3 and a $15 vette servo would be a better investment.A good trans shop should charge you less than 1/2 hour for the servo install.
Old 07-11-2004, 02:15 AM
TECH Veteran

Thumbs up

Well my FIPK works fine... the only power gains are over ~3500rpm. The UPD build quality is just crap from my readings and FIPKs fetch ~$150 used. I'm pleased with my FIPK and if you remove/cut out a hole in the bottom place the air temps drop off much faster. YES I ATAP'd that myself.

Syn ATF will make your 4L60E slip. Go back to cheapass dino and change it often. It's what, $1.10/qt or so? I drain my pan every 10k and refill it. If you are going to be towing a lot, I'd consider a TransGo shift kit to max the life of that 4L60E, billet OD servo, 'Vette intermediate, and a fat B&M cooler.

I had my truck tuned and I average 15-16mpg and around 20mpg straight freeway going 70mph...with 3.73:1 gears and 33" ATs. Besides power you'll gain economy too.

A large cased Magnaflow would help total power also and keep the sound down. Also the Dynomax SuperTurbo is inexpensive and quiet cruising.

Hope that helps...
Old 07-11-2004, 03:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The best advice on the ATF has already been posted - use only Dexron-III in any GM HydraMatic.
The shift kit is also great advice.

For 6000 pounds I would use third gear and keep it below 60mph.

You'll find with that much weight the back end will flop up and down wildly on road undulations. If your Tahoe doesn't have autoride and just has convention shocks, you might want to look into a pair of adjustable-firmness shocks such as Rancho RS9000X for just the rear.
Old 07-11-2004, 01:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

I tow my 6000 lb camper every weekend. I have a bone stock 03 silverado, mainly b/c i don;t even know where to start moddin, but any way with pull in that kinda weight the best thing i found was i bought an equalizer and sway hitch setup. THe sway bars stop most of trailer sway from wind the the equalizer bars help everything ride level. i can run 75 down the interstate and 65 on hilly skinny back highways.
just an idea----but what are you haulin?
Old 07-11-2004, 08:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by diehardchevy
the best thing i found was i bought an equalizer and sway hitch setup. THe sway bars stop most of trailer sway from wind the the equalizer bars help everything ride level. i can run 75 down the interstate and 65 on hilly skinny back highways.
just an idea----but what are you haulin?
I agree, I have an 01 Yukon with the same setup and haul a 24 ft enclosed car tailer--about 7500-7800 lbs. with no problem. I would suggest a great TOW PCM upgrade (like Nelson) and air Lift helper bags for the rear springs. When I added Thorley Headers, I was able to get almost 20mpg on the Hi-way and 10 mpg towing at 75.....
Old 07-12-2004, 08:03 PM
Teching In

Talking

I am towing a tandem axle travel trailer (camper) from Fleetwood. I bought the equilizer brand hitch (www.equalizerhitch.com) which is supposed to be the greatest thing since sliced bread and at a fraction of the Helmsley's cost. I'm not too worried about trailer sway or the up and down bounce because of the hitch.

I am thinking about getting at least the 'Vette servo and maybe adding the TransGo shift kit. I have seen the Nelson name several times in various posts so I think I need to check them out also.

From what I have read I'll pass on the synthetic oil in the trans. I'll stick to Redline in the motor and rear end and dino in the slushbox. I'll just have to get it changed more often.

Thanks for the input!