Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

00 5.3 oil pressure probs, need help asap

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 09:20 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 00 5.3 oil pressure probs, need help asap

I tried several different searches and was not able to find a clear answer to my problem. I have a 00 Z71 with a 5.3, I ran it into some water and bent 1 rod and broke 2. I pulled the engine and replaced those rods and bearings, did not touch anything else. Put the motor back and now I have no oil pressure after 2-3 times of starting and running for 10 seconds or so. I pulled the valve cover and no oil to the top of the motor, however the filter was full of oil and I did not add any to it before putting it on. Am I being too paranoid, should it take a little longer to build pressure or did I possibly pinch the O ring when I put the pickup tube back on. I lubed the O ring and tube up well before putting it back on but it did pull down with the bolt instead of seating all the way when I pushed it in. Any info is appreciated.
Old 01-26-2014, 04:12 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by firels
I tried several different searches and was not able to find a clear answer to my problem. I have a 00 Z71 with a 5.3, I ran it into some water and bent 1 rod and broke 2. I pulled the engine and replaced those rods and bearings, did not touch anything else. Put the motor back and now I have no oil pressure after 2-3 times of starting and running for 10 seconds or so. I pulled the valve cover and no oil to the top of the motor, however the filter was full of oil and I did not add any to it before putting it on. Am I being too paranoid, should it take a little longer to build pressure or did I possibly pinch the O ring when I put the pickup tube back on. I lubed the O ring and tube up well before putting it back on but it did pull down with the bolt instead of seating all the way when I pushed it in. Any info is appreciated.
O-ring could be pinched. You should seat it before putting in the bolt. The bolt only pulls 1 side down and does not apply even pressure. It could have pinched the O-ring.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
O-ring could be pinched. You should seat it before putting in the bolt. The bolt only pulls 1 side down and does not apply even pressure. It could have pinched the O-ring.
Pinched the o ring, I wasn't wanting to drop the front diff but I not the bullet and got it done. Just got to figure out the trick to putting it back in without pinching.