Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

whats the best posi unit to get??yes i searched already

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2004, 05:30 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by wkdivr
And why would that be?
Old 12-28-2004, 05:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The most respected shop here in San Diego that build all the differentials for offroading here likes the Auburn units. The owner says the Eaton is just as solid, that the Eaton is just as good of a choice, but he prefers the Auburn.

FWIW, I've heard that the Eaton can be rebuilt, which some people see as a big plus, whereas the Auburn cannot.
Old 12-28-2004, 05:54 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eaton, all the way. It is stronger, can be rebuilt, and can be uilt according to what you want to do. Carbon clutches, heavier or lighter springs, etc. The Auburns are more tolerant to bad burnouts (one tire in, one out), but once they are bad, that is it. You can exchange them through Auburn now at least, before you just threw it out.
Old 12-28-2004, 05:57 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by desTRUCKtive
Definitly not trying to steal a thread!!! But does anyone have an opinion on the Eaton electronic locker for mine an OHOH sake. I have heard that it is not a good idea for things such as racing applications. Only for those climbers. But what I liked is that they claim that it is truly a 100% locking rear end. Whats the opinion.
The E-locker hasnt really been tested all that much for hard launches, etc. I know the ARb air lockers didnt do too well in drag applications though. The teeth that lock it in arent that tough looking, but I am sure people will be trying them soon. In 4x4's they work awesome, but they are usually used in low traction, loose surface, or low speed.
Old 12-28-2004, 06:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eaton hands down .. mzoomaro's right. The Eaton can be rebuilt. I like mine a lot. Only complaint I have is instead of one treadless tire, I got 2. The Eaton solved my one tire burnouts with the G80. I never really had problems with it though.
Old 12-28-2004, 08:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BlownChevy
AUBURN Pro Series...HANDS DOWN! I broke several of the "others" and not one problem with the AUBURN Pro Series in the old truck.

90,xxx miles on mine and it still lights up the slicks!!!!!! Never seen a truck guy break one at the track yet. Seen a few Eatons. Ask BigKid what happen on his launch at the 2003 Thunder Shootout.
Old 12-28-2004, 08:54 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not saying the EATON is bad, but the AUBURN can be swapped for a new one....no need to rebuild.

http://auburngear.com/aftermarket/drex/
Old 12-28-2004, 10:10 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by BlownChevy
Not saying the EATON is bad, but the AUBURN can be swapped for a new one....no need to rebuild.

http://auburngear.com/aftermarket/drex/
That Drex is a good program, but it is kind of misleading. They reuse the case, and the spider gears if possible. They replace the cones, side gears and shaft on every one. They tell you that you are getting a unit with ALL new components, but then it would be a new unit, not rebuilt. Auburn is not a bad unit, GM even used them. But I have personally blown up a pro series 7.6 Auburn in my S10, so they are not indstructible. They do have a nice heavy case, and are deffinetly better than the regular high-performance series Auburn.
Old 12-29-2004, 12:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Greg, I thought it was his G80 he popped? I know he replaced it with an Eaton. I thought he said he went ahead and upgraded since he had to get something anywyas. I can't remember though .. maybe he'll come in here and straighten us out.
Old 12-29-2004, 06:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

My vote is for the eaton too. haven't had any problems at all.

Quick Reply: whats the best posi unit to get??yes i searched already