Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

At what point should you get rid of the g80 and go with something stronger?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 03:46 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 1994Vmax
Clutch ones burn out and stop working too easily.... but at least like a lot of other designs they are rebuildable so that's a plus I guess. That's where all the love for the TruScrap comes from is because people somehow think they are maintenance free..... disregarding the fact they rely solely on the worm gears binding in the carrier to operate. They also peg leg like no other on slippery surfaces... Different strokes.

they make up dated springs for them. I up graded to medium grade ones (460 lb I think it was) also don't use synthetic oil (eaton Rep told me)
Old 06-28-2017, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 103 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by trxmxzx
they make up dated springs for them. I up graded to medium grade ones (460 lb I think it was) also don't use synthetic oil (eaton Rep told me)
Doesn't really matter..... it's a disc pack that slips when you turn corners or maneuver so wheel speeds differ. You can get up tp 800 lb springs I believe at which point it's a spool....... so just run a spool lol. I like mechanical stuff that doesn't really have any wear parts any different than the actual gears in the rear myself..... As I said.... different strokes.
Old 06-29-2017, 02:55 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Dude, clutch wear in an eaton used on the street is a moot point. Plenty with tons of miles on them still working......and they don't peg leg......ever. Unless something is broke. The only way I'd go trutrac is if my only other option is the auburn unit. **** that piece of ****.
Old 06-29-2017, 07:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Detroit Locker. I have one in every truck I own..... The gov lock is just a stupid piece of garbage even from an operational standpoint. You won't probably ever hurt the one in your 9.5" ( same rear as both my 04 and 05 have) but something other than the gov lock is a huge upgrade. I just swapped my 04.... if I didn't tell you it had a locker in... you wouldn't even notice it... that's how not aggressive they really are.
i had a locker in my manual trans turbo ls s10. worst diff ever. it drove better with a spool. something about the locker made the trans grind going into gears.
Old 06-29-2017, 09:04 AM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Speaking from my and others' experience, Detroit lockers and manual transmissions aren't a great combo. The Detroit has a lot of backlash built into it and the on/off clutch action makes it do weird things and poorly effects handling.

I'm actually looking to replace the Detroit Locker in my K10 with a True Trac. This thread is the first I've heard much anything bad about about them.
Old 06-29-2017, 12:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blown06
Dude, clutch wear in an eaton used on the street is a moot point. Plenty with tons of miles on them still working......and they don't peg leg......ever. Unless something is broke. The only way I'd go trutrac is if my only other option is the auburn unit. **** that piece of ****.
Don't drive very it hard then lol.. like ever. They wear out as easily as an Auburn that you hate so much but just can be rebuilt. I have played with the stiffer springs and it just spools it... unless you maybe have an ultra heavy vehicle. Plenty of "street driven" Auburns that still work too... and Gov locks for that matter. I don't like either and think they are both junk but it doesn't mean it's the norm. Auburn is oem in a Rams 9.25" so there is lots of them out there...And I wasn't talking about the clutch pack diffs peg legging easily... reading is your friend... trutracs do it on the regular. Worst piece of **** ever made...

And like I said... the guys that bitch the most about Detroit lockers... never have actually even had one.

Last edited by 1994Vmax; 06-29-2017 at 05:43 PM.
Old 06-29-2017, 12:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TrendSetter
i had a locker in my manual trans turbo ls s10. worst diff ever. it drove better with a spool. something about the locker made the trans grind going into gears.
They have a bit of play in them.. I have no use for any manual transmission of any kind so I don't have those problems.
Old 07-02-2017, 01:30 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Don't drive very it hard then lol.. like ever. They wear out as easily as an Auburn that you hate so much but just can be rebuilt. I have played with the stiffer springs and it just spools it... unless you maybe have an ultra heavy vehicle. Plenty of "street driven" Auburns that still work too... and Gov locks for that matter. I don't like either and think they are both junk but it doesn't mean it's the norm. Auburn is oem in a Rams 9.25" so there is lots of them out there...And I wasn't talking about the clutch pack diffs peg legging easily... reading is your friend... trutracs do it on the regular. Worst piece of **** ever made...

And like I said... the guys that bitch the most about Detroit lockers... never have actually even had one.
I think we are misunderstanding each other.