Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Well Installed The Corvette Servo And Now I Need New Tranny

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 08:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wish i would of seen post like these caught me at a bad time for tranny to take a dump.....and i did seat it in secound ring groove, Easy to mess it up I had trouble installing the snap ring when it came out the cut in the ring was in the 11 o'clock position. that would be looking at it from passenger side gave me trouble installing and when it went in it was in theabout 5 o'clock. I could see the the split where u pull thre o-ring out to cut it to remove the servo.Didnt think that was going to be an issue but thats where it broke .............#@$#%*&@ to late
Old 07-04-2006, 09:58 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guy's when your wife's start busting your ***** about being retarded/incompetent it's not that at all. I have seen qualified builders make this same mistake. Anyone can try to do it their self it really is quit simple. The problem I see most people make is they don't get the snap ring in all the way. Another thing that happens is that there are debris, corrosion, rust from the snap ring, dirt/mud......in this ring groove. If you get it cleaned out really good especially the rust/corrosion it is truely not difficult. The best way I have found to remove this crud is with a pic and more or less scrape the crap out of the grove untill you can only see the aluminum. Then take some scotch brite to polish the bore. This works well also if the trans is removed to get a mini wire wheel on a drill to clean the groove. Also it is a good idea to take that snap ring to a wire wheel to make it like new or replace it. I have never broken a case using these methods. In our shop it is standard procedure. I have also seen some snap rings that have been produced that have a flat surface on each side of the ring. I do not like these and have had seen cases break after a customer does a servo upgrade. Don't use them. Well I had comment on this topic and show this to your wives. If this **** was as easy as every one thinks...I would be making fries at micky ds.

seach words- broken, case, snap ring, corvette servo, shift kit install,breaking the snap ring.

Last edited by FLT; 07-04-2006 at 01:22 PM. Reason: added words for people doing a search
Old 07-04-2006, 10:55 AM
On The Tree

LOL thanks Vince, you know you could have relayed this info when I bought the separator plate and gasket and those plastic check ***** from you......Any one with any ideas on how I can blame this mishap completely on Vince? lol only kidding, Ron
Old 07-04-2006, 11:16 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

My wife says you should go make fries! LOL I've made a few posts on this topic about the snap ring breaking the case on truck/ls1tech. However alot of people do not use the search feature untill it is too late. I was really trying to let you guy's understand why this happens and hopefully avoid some pain for others. It's all my fault! LOL
Old 07-04-2006, 12:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

I did use the search feature only i searched under corvette servo not breaking the snap ring lol well now i have to decide what to get money tight and gurl still not happy has me working inside the house for a couple weeks...
Old 07-04-2006, 01:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had to buy a new trany for my old truck early this year for the same damn reason. lost the snap ring in the 1st 100ft of driving.

I got that tranny from FLT. Im sure I will need one for this truck soon enough, the only guys I will call is FLT.
Old 07-04-2006, 01:17 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Revised post #12 for search words. Hopefully this will work for others in the future.
Old 07-04-2006, 02:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey vince, I know the case is no good but any of the internals good for any credit? If so how much? I have to get a new one. what kind of price am i looking at looks well over $3500 dollars....
Old 07-04-2006, 02:40 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

I normally take a deposit for our cores. If the case is not usuable we normally keep $75-$100 from your deposit. As far the price of the trans it really depends on which level you go with. Give us a call when you have time and we can figure it out. Thank you for your time, Vince.
Old 07-04-2006, 02:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

What hp/tq rating would you give your transmisions? level 3, level 4, level 5.

Quick Reply: Well Installed The Corvette Servo And Now I Need New Tranny